Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

rage

Old 10-28-2010, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some things I noticed about mechanicals

Some archers are successful with them, or they wouldn't be selling them for so long.

Some hunters will always have problems with mechanical difficulties, when it comes to something mechanical.

Some archers will expect any product to work perfectly, every time, even if they never study how the product is suppose to operate.

And some folks will always blame the product and never blame themselves for any contribution to the problem.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZRzBYuBIc4

all you need to know about a Rage is the above
Old 10-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvdq-c_2pJE

4:32 into it ... Rage didn't make it all the way through and BROKE
Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ranger77
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZRzBYuBIc4

all you need to know about a Rage is the above
if you take a big fat nail and hit it with hammer on that same wood,it will go in a little.

take a small dia nail and it will go right thru.

same in that test.
the rage has that big fat head slowing things down going thru and the slick trick has thin pointed head that slides like butter.

this is why i like the NAP SPITFIRE 100,that pointed sharp tip .
i would bet that SPITFIRE would have gone right thru.
rage head is just to fat.

i really like the SLICK TRICK 100 very much.it flys very well too.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-sr...eature=related

4:30 into it, the Rage failed to open shooting into a cantelope !

look at how the 4 blade Whack 'Em did ...
Old 10-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

same in that test.
the rage has that big fat head slowing things down going thru and the slick trick has thin pointed head that slides like butter.
But that Slick Trick magnum has 11% more cutting ability than the Rage 2 blade. It isn't the pointed tip that slows it up. Instead it's the wide cut that hinders penetration.

Any broadhead, regardless of who manufactures it, that has super wide cutting diameters will penetrate less than a broadhead that has equal cutting surface but a smaller diameter. Such as the Rage and Slick Trick. The Rage has a super wide cutting diameter but actually cuts less than the ST but the ST will out penetrate the Rage in every testing medium I have tested them in.

The biggest problem with these super wide heads is that they all require massive amounts of energy energy to push them through the animal and even more to push them through bones. If you don't have the energy and momentum to push these types of broadheads through then absolutely stay away from them.

IMO the other problem with Rage heads stems from their irresponsible and wreckless advertising campaign.

*Get your game or your money back. SERIOUSLY????? Has anyone tried this?
*It's like throwing an axe through the animal. Really Chuch Adams???? Just like a 6" wide axe blade?
*Expand your kill zone. Really? Just how much does my kill zone expand with a rage?

Down right irresponsible advertising. It's one thing if you are young and brand new to the sport, don't have a clue, and have no one to guide you on your way and you take the word of these so called "experts" because they are suppose to be trust worthy and not a bunch of product whores... but if your an experienced bow hunter and you fall for the down right reckless marketing hype then you have no one to blame but yourself if you don't get the BS results that they claim on television.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

But that Slick Trick magnum has 11% more cutting ability than the Rage 2 blade. It isn't the pointed tip that slows it up. Instead it's the wide cut that hinders penetration.
inpart yes

Any broadhead, regardless of who manufactures it, that has super wide cutting diameters will penetrate less than a broadhead that has equal cutting surface but a smaller diameter.
Rage swears a 3 blade will outpenetrate a 2 blade. Aint that funny?

Such as the Rage and Slick Trick. The Rage has a super wide cutting diameter but actually cuts less than the ST but the ST will out penetrate the Rage in every testing medium I have tested them in.
have you tested Razortricks?

The biggest problem with these super wide heads is that they all require massive amounts of energy energy to push them through the animal and even more to push them through bones. If you don't have the energy and momentum to push these types of broadheads through then absolutely stay away from them.
what % would you guess of bowhunters that shoot too light an arrow to carry the momentum to shoot the Rage?

one thing you didn't mention in your well thought out post was the potential for a mechanical to fail
Old 11-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Spike

i shot my first with a rage last saturday, the wound channel was almost gross. and my arrow was stuck 7 inches into the ground. ima believer
Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bayou
Had a 3 blade that didn't open last evening, wasn't impressed.
use the 2 blade
cant beat 2" cutting diameter
Attached Thumbnails rage-rage-broadhead.jpg  
Old 11-14-2010, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well....finally tried out a 2blade rage for the 1st time. Im not sure what to say. I had a 25 yard broadside shot on a big body spike yesterday morning. Let me 1st say I'm a huge fan of mechanicals but this is the 1st time I've had a shot with the Rage head.

I shot a tad high and hit the lung area on the deer, this deer was pretty much 100% broadside not quartering either way. The arrow did not pass completely thru but was sticking out of the deer about a foot on the opposite side, so the broadhead passed completely thru but not the arrow. I got a very clear view of the deer after the shot. It ran towards me a bit and then turned and went up into the woods. It was shot in a grassy field. I waited about an hour before I got out of the stand.

I use a 335FPS IBO bow. I have a 30" draw/70lbs and my arrows weigh close to 500grains. This is the 1st time I havent had a complete pass thru with this bow using mechanicals, some of which have larger cutting dia. then do the rage.

Here's were things get fishy.....like I said I saw the arrow was sticking out about 12" on the opposite side of the deer(broadhead went thru deer but arrow didnt completely pass thru) but I got almost zero blood for the 1st 50 yards or so walking over to the woods. At that point I stopped called buddies on the radio and waited another hour or so to start tracking in the woods. 1st 50 yards was in the field.

I got guys rounded up and we started tracking the deer. (apprx 2.5hours later from when I shot) about 50 yards in the woods of where I thought he ran we finally started seeing blood. About 200 yards in, we found my arrow and blood all over the sides of saplings. We then started tracking good blood on ground and on sides of trees. We tracked pretty good blood for another 1000yards or so up and down ridges. We were taking breaks along the way, the blood trail finally went away and we never found the deer. I've never seen so much blood come out of an animal witout dieing. He must have stopped for an IV or something.

Odd things were...no real blood trail for the 1st 100 yards or so, Arrow didnt pass thru and it was a pretty good(not perfect) lung shot. Like I said I clearly viewed both sides of the deer after the shot.

So IDK was this a rage thing or just bad luck or what. Im not going to say a bad word about the broadhead cause frankly I don't know for sure. Part of me really wanted to find the deer not just because of the obvious but to see what the entrance and exit holes looked like.

I will be back in the woods and will have another rage on my arrow but may be second guessing myself when I draw....IDK honestly. Im heading back over today to again look for the deer. It was warm here yesterday so its ruined by now but I really want some answers to what really happened.

Last edited by Duckbutter48; 11-14-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.