HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   In market for a new bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/327695-market-new-bow.html)

ideafrog 08-14-2010 06:48 PM

In market for a new bow

So here I sit - having watched hours of the outdoor channel, and having heard countless arguments for and against each manufacturer (by my hunting buddies), I wondered if I could get some actual REAL advice as to the best of the new bows (Mathews, Bowtech..etc) and WHY they are the best.

Whitetailaddict13 08-14-2010 07:01 PM

most companies out there make a real quality bow. i used to shoot PSE but i switched to mathews and i dont think ill ever switch again. extremely smooth, forgiving. (depending on which model) and thats what my local dealer sells so maintenance is easy. if you have the opportunity get out there and shoot a Z7 and a Destroyer.

ACPOSSETIM 08-14-2010 08:24 PM

I've shot several bow makes over the years -- mainly Hoyt and Mathews though. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the top manufacturers now as long as you shoot several and choose whatever feels best to you. Now I'll tell you why I love my Hoyts. I was shooting a bow (other than Hoyt) when shooting a 300 league a few years ago. I was in the market for a new bow but was going to wait until the league was over so I didn't have to adjust to a new set up mid stream. Well one night while shooting my string broke on the bow I was shooting.....so I needed to do something, well I bought my first Hoyt (a Trykon). The first night I shot the league with the new bow my score went up 20 points, of course I thought that was great but really thought it was just luck. As the league progressed my scores were consistently higher. I'm not saying the bow is inherently more accurate (whether it is or isn't is for others to decide) but it shot better for me. As new models have come out I've been fortunate enough to upgrade about every 2 years and also own a Hoyt Gamemaster II (recurve with tec riser). As I upgrade I always shoot the competitors bows just to compare what's out there. Without a doubt I can say I feel the Hoyt has been the best choice for ME every time. I feel they offer a great mix of speed, smoothness, shoot-ability, and features. Customer service is top notch, and their quality is hard to beat! A quick note about the bows themselves to tell you how durable and well designed they are. Hoyt bows must withstand 1500 dry fires before the design is put into production. Check out the videos at www.hoyt.com to see some product testing......it's pretty impressive. They also offer entry level bows in addition to their standard lineup, and the Carbon Matrix. Again though, shoot as many kinds as you can and pick the one that feels the best to you!!! Good luck on your search!

vipermike98 08-24-2010 01:21 PM

I currently shoot the PSE X-Force Dream season and simply love the bow. I would never buy a Bowtech product due to one causing damage to my arm when it seperated. The company did not stand behind their product and blamed me for breaking it. Well, they laughed and finally said they would fix it. I had the pleasure of burning it to save others from bodily harm. You have to get to the bow shop and shoot the bow that fits you. No one can honestly tell you what bow to buy as everyone is different. have the shop set up a few bows and shoot them to find the one that you like. My friends shoot Mathews and they love them. Let us know what you choose.

RyanATiffany 08-26-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by vipermike98 (Post 3668952)
I currently shoot the PSE X-Force Dream season and simply love the bow. I would never buy a Bowtech product due to one causing damage to my arm when it seperated. The company did not stand behind their product and blamed me for breaking it. Well, they laughed and finally said they would fix it. I had the pleasure of burning it to save others from bodily harm. You have to get to the bow shop and shoot the bow that fits you. No one can honestly tell you what bow to buy as everyone is different. have the shop set up a few bows and shoot them to find the one that you like. My friends shoot Mathews and they love them. Let us know what you choose.

Just as long as it's not a Bowtech, Diamond, Ross, Redhead, Cabelas Ice Storm or has anything from Octane on it. vipermike98 will surely come get you and inform you of your uninformed purchase.

We get it. You had a bad experience with a Bowtech bow.

This kinda of reminds me of Office Space. This seems like someone just trying to bait someone into asking, "Really? What happened?"

Tom Smykowski (Vipermike98): "You see that's what you have to do. You have to use your mind to come up with some really great idea - like (the pet rock)... You know I had an idea like that once."
Peter (sucker baited into asking the question vipermike wants asked): "Really? What was it, Tom?"

I could be wrong. Everybody has their opinions. Maybe he just doesn't want anyone to get hurt. It just reminds me of it.

camelcluch 08-26-2010 03:20 PM

Go out and shoot them all. It is easy to see what you will like. archery is a feel sport and not all bows will feel good to you. Also, makes sure to check out Athens (shameless plug).

98Redline 08-27-2010 06:45 AM

Good advice, go out and shoot a bunch of bows in your price range and pick the one that feels best to you.

With archery being such a competitive business you really get what you pay for. The top bows from the big manufacturers will be all in the same caliber. The same holds true for the mid and lower priced bows.

There is no one "Best Bow" out there. However everyone has their favorite or one that seems to work just a bit better than the others they have shot (for their individual shooting style).

I shoot Hoyt bows and have for many years. Does that mean that a Matthews or Bowtech or PSE is crap? Not in the slightest. All of them are well designed machines and each fits a slightly differently than the other. Over the years I have gotten used to the grip angle and feel of the Hoyt line and shooting one puts me in my comfort zone. Find the bow that puts you in your comfort zone and go for it.

Good shooting...

vipermike98 08-27-2010 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by RyanATiffany (Post 3670522)
Just as long as it's not a Bowtech, Diamond, Ross, Redhead, Cabelas Ice Storm or has anything from Octane on it. vipermike98 will surely come get you and inform you of your uninformed purchase.

We get it. You had a bad experience with a Bowtech bow.

This kinda of reminds me of Office Space. This seems like someone just trying to bait someone into asking, "Really? What happened?"

Tom Smykowski (Vipermike98): "You see that's what you have to do. You have to use your mind to come up with some really great idea - like (the pet rock)... You know I had an idea like that once."
Peter (sucker baited into asking the question vipermike wants asked): "Really? What was it, Tom?"

I could be wrong. Everybody has their opinions. Maybe he just doesn't want anyone to get hurt. It just reminds me of it.

HAHAHH. Thast awesome! Nothing like good humor on a Friday!

Hey did I tell you about this one time, with Bowtech.... LOL. Thanks for the laugh. For the record, just looking out for my fellow hunters, even if they sleep with their bowtech products. This isn't personal, its a damn blog... about hunting.... Oh and Bowtech.. just kidding.

Valentine 08-27-2010 10:25 AM

My first decision

was always how much I wanted to spend on a bow.

And it always was not to buy the most expensive bows.

Colorado Luckydog 08-27-2010 11:04 AM

I shoot with a lot of different guys at the range. My Bowtech is as quiet or more quiet than any of their brands. It also shoots like a dream.