Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Fiber optic pins look fuzzy? >

Fiber optic pins look fuzzy?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fiber optic pins look fuzzy?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Fiber optic pins look fuzzy?

Do your fiber optic pins look fuzzy? I was having a horrible time trying to focus the red fiber optic on my sight. The green and the gold were not too bad but the red one almost looked like a figure 8. I found the solution though. A peep sight from Specialty Archery Products which you can order separate power verifiers from #5 up to I think a #9. I got one in a #6 and now the pins are sharp and clear. They are a little costly. about $20 - $22 bucks each for the peep and the verifier. But it a small price to pay after you sink all that money into a quality bow and quality arrows. I recommend this peep if you need glasses to read and your sights are not clear.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Careful with clarifiers, or verifiers as specialty calls them for hunting sights. The stronger the lens, the less light it will transmit and the shorter your hunting light.

Additionally if you happen to swipe a couple of damp leaves on your way in, you can find that when it comes time to draw, you may have a big drop of water on the lens.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The eye can only focus on one thing at a time.Some folks shoot with one eye closed as that helps bring things into focus a little better than with both eyes open.Have you tried that?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

are you shooting at low light, and its still blurry?
i try and aim for a particular spot, instead of aimin big....this helped alot for me. do you normally wear glasses? maybe leave them on when your shootin....contacts?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually the pins are crystal clear with the #6 but the target was blurred. I sent them back to the folks a Bowhunters and had them replaced with #5 verifiers. Big difference, the pins are sharp and clear and so is the target.
As for my eyesight, my distance vision is better than 20/20. It just my close range (<3') and that's just about the distance of the pins. The green and gold are OK but that darn red one would look like a figure 8. But not anymore.
This is the lowest power verified they make so I don't foresee lighting as being a problem.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

I have the same problem with the pins being fuzzy when the target is clear. If you close one eye it does help with the pin clarity, but I found that you can still shoot with both eyes open with enough practice. I try not to focus on the pin as much, and concentrate on the target and it's working for me so far. For some reason with my eyes I don't really have a problem with the green sights but the yellow ones give me trouble...
Old 08-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been using the Verifier for 2 years and love it, havent had any issues, just have to find the right lens stregth.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

would like the help as sight gets worse but I use specs for hunting all the time and in less than perfect weather things don't work like they do when I'm standing in front of a target. Hate to get a shot and see nothing. I'd rather see poorly all the time than nothing when I need too.

I've found it's better to set up the bow so that I pull and release as naturally as possible. Then when vision isn't as good as it should be, form takes over. At least that's the plan, doesn't work too good for me when it comes time to make the shot count, death on targets.

#5 thanks for that info.