Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

ladder sticks

Old 06-26-2003, 07:08 PM

Default ladder sticks

I have gotten into a lease this coming year where I can' t use treesteps in the trees. I can hang my stands and leave them but I will need to purchase a portable ladder stick that breaks down into 3 or 4 sections. Does anybody have any suggestions? I would like as light as possible and hopefully they will hook together for backpacking purposes. Any ideas open to suggestions.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ladder sticks

I have used various types of ladder sticks. My favorites are made by Non-Typical and I also like the Stepp ladder although there is a learning curve when using those. I' ve had a couple very positive report on Summit' s Bucksteps from very reliable sources. I would certainly not be afraid to try them.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also hunt in areas where you can not use the screw in type heads. I ussually get the cabelas magnum climbing stick. I don' t mind the weight as much I do the price on these things. But I will admit that they are a pleasure to climb compared to unevenly spaced screw in type steps. I like these also because you can get extra extensions if you need to go higher.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:22 AM

the new ones summit has out look pretty good ,you should look into them if thats the route you have to go ,have you considered ladder stands or a climber?

Old 06-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Walmart! Toward archery season (atleast around here), they carry climbing sticks (Gorilla & Rivers Edge, I think...) for cheap. I bought a set a few years back when i was on my college student income. as long as you carry a pack for the tension straps It' s pretty easy to devise a system to carry them as long as you got a strong back. Lugging them to my far stands some days felt like i was carrying 1000 lbs. If you have a short jaunt to your stand and your in OK shape, you should be ok. These things are very easy to set up. After a couple practice runs on a tree in the back yard, it should become second nature and can be set up quickly and quietly. I know alot of people promote the really good stuff, but to be honest, these sticks aren' t the best, but they are practicle for anybody, on a budget or not. Check them out. If they' re not your cup o' tea, then don' t buy them. Just wanted to throw another option out there.

Good luck out there!
-BJ
Old 06-29-2003, 11:16 AM

I am a Summit Climbing stand man but I did see a set of the Lone Wolf ladder steps. They work great and are very lite as well.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Do yourself a favor and get some Lone Wolf
climbing sticks. My hunting partners and I
all own 4 sticks, we didn' t feel that 3 got us
high enough. Every time we hunt, we
pack them in and out. Though we have 10-
12 stands that we hang and leave, most
hunts we' ll pack a stand in and hunt it that
day. Since we started this system a few years ago,
we' ve never had a stand stolen.

Needless to say, they are very light (2 1/2 lbs ea.
and 32" long), simple to put up, do an excellent
job of grabbing the bark/don' t slip, and snap
together for the trip out & back-though I do
use a small bungee cord to make sure they
fit tightly. Four sticks usually gets us up to
16' -19' and they will work on just about any
type of tree. My dad is 70 years old and he
uses them...[:-].

One additional thing you' ll need is a climbing
belt, to support you while putting up the sticks,
but then everyone should always be using one.

http://www.lonewolfstands.com/climbi...Sticks+%2D+3Pk

Old 07-01-2003, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a set of Gorilla climbing sticks they are light weight and I can strap them to my stand when packing in.
They are easy to put up and take down.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ll throw in a plug for the Lone Wolf sticks. They are lighter than most, but I really like that they are only 32" long. Bungy-cord them to any stand and they wont bang your legs like most. The steps fold up and make a compact package. Go up fairly quick and quiet (depends on the installer) and are very stable. They are easier than screw-in steps too.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just looked at the Lone Wolf, let me get this straight, $99 for eight feet of ladder (7 1/2 pounds, three sticks 32" each)? Then an addition $39.99 for each additional 32 inch extension.

Am I looking at the same things???? So If I wanted 16 feet, it would cost me $200 and weigh 15 pounds. Right?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20712

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ainCatcat20712

Quick Reply: ladder sticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.