Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Is it worth it to spend the money? >

Is it worth it to spend the money?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Is it worth it to spend the money?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Is it worth it to spend the money?

This is my first year bowhunting (I started shooting a bow in July) and I just started out with the cheapest accessories on my bow. The sight I have right now is just the basic $20 plastic sight with 3 pins. I like the look of the Spot Hoggs (I was looking at the Right on, with 5 pins and the hogg wrap for $125). However, my fiance tells me its a waste of money because the one I have works good enough. I agree, the sight I do have works, but is it wrong to want a better one? It's a pretty good chunk of money to spend..do you think I'm better off with the better sight or should I just use the one I have? I mostly just want it for the extra pins, plus they are smaller and brighter and I have heard this sight is almost indestructible. I was recently given $100 as a gift so I have that money lying around. Your thoughts would be appreciated
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Well there are advantages to higher priced sights,(ie. brighter,easier and more accurate adjustments and better durability to name a few!
IMO an all aluminum sight is the way to go!
Welcome to the addiction,you will always find a reason to spend money,its an addiction we can't control ourselves..LOL
Old 04-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You couldn't even imagine the difference between the cheap plastic sight you have and the all metal bomb-proof Spot-Hogg design! Man, they are night and day difference! Buy the Spot-Hogg and atleast you won't ever have to worry about another sight.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

There is a difference but if you are just getting started I would take your time and learn/try as many products as you can. I have good luck at Gander Mtn's Clearance Bin. I found 2 Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rests in there for $15 a piece. If you can't afford to buy a lot, there is always someone willing to let you try a few shots with theirs. Caution- work up to the higher end gear. It hard to look backwards.

Last edited by camelcluch; 05-01-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

You might want to check out the Viper sights. There all metal and the pins are as bright as any out there. Plus you can order the pins in any size you want and replace them yourself if you happen to find a way to break one. You should be able to get one about anywhere including the shipping for less than $100.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 AM
Typical Buck

Watch the classified sections here and other archery sites. they spot hogg sights are sold one the frequently and sometimes for VERY good prices!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a cheap accessory package deal several years ago when I got back into bowhunting and ended up replacing everything with better accessories within six months. There is a difference. I would have been better off just buying the base bow and going from there.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Spike

You do not have to spend $125 on a sight. Get a bare bones aluminum sight with good adjustments and be done with it. I use a $30 Cobra that I added an extra pin to. $100 should get you a good sight, rest and most of a release. Or arrows and broadheads.

But I will tell you to get rid of the plastic sight. The one that came on my bow was a POS. When I tightened the sight pins, they would dig into the plastic, thus making it hard to adjust properly. I robbed the pins off of it and threw it in the trash.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

worth the upgrade. in a low light situation you will recieve all $125 back. I will add though you can get a pretty nice sight for less money.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbie Country Club Archers Owe Society

at least $1200 a year for a new top of the line bow and great new accessories.

Just so us old timers can use the improvements, four years later, when the manufacturers have totally depreciated their initial engineering costs.

I sure appreciate young fellas that can't help going for that brand new glitter. they sure love that glitter and it sure makes them shoot better. Well that's what they say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.