HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   lookin for good fixed blade (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/320844-lookin-good-fixed-blade.html)

nwtrykon87 04-01-2010 07:22 PM

lookin for good fixed blade

posted a couple times on here an never got many responses so ill try again.. im looking for a good fixed blade broad head.. brand does not matter.. i am just looking for likes and dislikes of different brands to try to decide what i wanna shoot.. i always had tuning problems with fixed blade broadheads even after i had my bow papertuned

please any information is greatly appreciated

bigbulls 04-01-2010 07:27 PM

I get to use and test a whole bunch of broadheads and all in all I would put a slick trick up against any broadhead currently offered. I haven't found anything yet that puts it all together in a single broadhead like a slick trick does. Despite the free samples and discounts I could get on different brands or models of broadheads, Slick Tricks are ALWAYS on my hunting arrows.

Sniper151 04-02-2010 07:41 AM

My favorite is the NAP Thunderhead. I have used this broadhead for many years with no malfunctions. They perform extremely well and is a quality product, consistant weight and well made.

Western MA Hunter 04-02-2010 08:22 AM

Slick Trick's are great broadheads and fly great...
I personally like the Crimson Talon XTs the best... Fly very well and very destructive...

fatfreddy 04-02-2010 08:55 AM

Muzzy work 4 me

Kill em all and let God sort em out!!!

Risasi 04-02-2010 12:46 PM

Magnus Stingers

redmag 04-02-2010 03:52 PM

For an affordable good flying broadhead, look no further than NAP Thunderheads. I have used them for quite a few years and have taken mostly deer and bears with them. For me, the best thing is I can screw them on and go hunting.

Jim

steelhead777 04-02-2010 11:49 PM

Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts and SlickTrick Mag's for me!! I use 2 and 4 blade stingers both fly the same:cool2:

2 Samuel 22:35 04-03-2010 03:45 PM

I have heard so much good about slick trick
In my opinion that is the way to go, but there could be better.

bronko22000 04-03-2010 06:25 PM

Everyone seems to rage about the Slick Trick and they may be a great broadhead but I've never tried them my self. Two years ago I switched to Magnus Stingers (100 gr - 4 blade). They hit exactly the same POI as my field tips. In these two years using them I've taken 2 buck, a bison, and a bobcat. Both deer ran only a short distance and then began walking away and expired within 75 yds of where they were shot. They acted as though they got stung by a bee or something. The only 'drawback' with the Stingers is that the aluminum ferrule has a tendancy to crack when it hits something really hard. But you send it back to Magnus and they send you a new one.
Another broadhead that I hear good reports on is the G5.

3Children 04-04-2010 03:58 AM

Ok, so how many replies do you want! Most have said Slick Trick even a dealer, and here is the second dealer, I use Slick Tricks. I shoot what I believe in and has not failed me in any way. There are a lot of different heads and some send us dealers some (one) to try. I have taken 24 or 25 deer with only 2 bhs, and the only reason I had to go to the second is a pass thru that buried into a root and couldn't get it out. With three different spine shots complete pass thrus and the head was still in good shape. I resharpen the blades and use it on the next hunt.

GRIZZLYMAN 04-04-2010 07:48 AM

I used NAP Nightmares last year, but may try something like a Slick trick this year. I wasn't real impressed with the Nightmares.

nwtrykon87 04-06-2010 06:19 PM

thanks every1... seems like ill have to give slick tricks a go so many good reviews on them.for you dealers and tech junkies could you also give me a reason why my bow hasnt tuned fixed blades well.. i shoot a hoyt vulcan 29'' draw 71lbs shooting a easton acc pro hunter 340.. i have had my bow paper tuned every year using a shooting machine to eliminate human error, any thoughts as to why they shoot so different from my f.p.. if i shoot a 1" group at 20 fixed blades shot 5" high and right everytime

bigbulls 04-06-2010 06:47 PM

could you also give me a reason why my bow hasnt tuned fixed blades well..

i have had my bow paper tuned every year using a shooting machine to eliminate human error
You answered your own question. Unless you are going to take that machine to the woods with you and use it to shoot a deer with then why would you tune your bow with a machine? I assume that you are indeed a human so why would you want to eliminate the human element in your tuning process?

Widgeonator 04-07-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by bigbulls (Post 3608758)
You answered your own question. Unless you are going to take that machine to the woods with you and use it to shoot a deer with then why would you tune your bow with a machine? I assume that you are indeed a human so why would you want to eliminate the human element in your tuning process?

very good point bigbulls...

nwtrykon87 04-10-2010 09:16 PM

sorry for the late response.. work has been hell... as for using the machine.. it was recommended to me by the bow shop.. he said the best way to tune your bow it to eliminate all human error thus insuring that your bow is as tuned as it could ever be.. and in part i think hes correct.. when paper tuning i get a perfect bullet hole which i couldnt achieve by just shooting at the paper.. and my bow groups great and shoots great but i could never understand why fixed blades didnt shoot anywhere close to my f.p.. ive changed arrow weights and brands (well still in easton but went from axis to acc pro hunters) was giving the spine recommendation from eastons spine chart.. are there any other possibilities that would affect my broadhead flight... ?? i went and got a pack of slick tricks the other day and it still shoots 3 inches high and right for the 1st arrow and then the other 2 shoot 3 inches low and left..

complete setup is hoyt vulcan.. 71 lbs 29" draw rip cord rest...easton 340 acc pro hunters and blazer vanes

cjgjr 04-17-2010 04:26 PM

I have shot dozens of large game animals with slick tricks.
For a fixed blade i have yet to see anything that can beat it!
Blood trails ive had are alot better then when i used muzzy or thunderhead on large game.good luck and have fun...
Why u still having tuning issues?tHAT COULD BE A VARIETY OF THINGS,Arrow spine for poundage,Arrow rest not properly tuned,A bent axle in your cams etc,etc.
U mentioned ur shooting from a machine?Could be a mechanical problem with the machine,I would forget about the machine get shooting at some targets get sighted in by Yourself! start ur sighting in at 15yrds!Once u get them hitting bullseye back it up,Once u get shooting at 25 yrds u will be able to see what ur arrow is doing in flight,like a clearence problem from rest etc.
Good luck,its hard to say without knowing all the bows specs etc.and without being able to visually look at your bow with a arrow knocked to see if everything visualy is tuned to begin with.

Snood Slapper 04-17-2010 08:07 PM

Ok, I'll give you my fixed blade pick. I'm pretty certain I'll be the lone voice here for them here and I'm sure I'll be far overwhelmed by SlickTrick users and the like, but you just have to trust and try. You don't hear about them on boards like this much, yet, somehow, they have remained in business for years. How is this? Solid, quality, sharp heads. Innerloc. Absolutely the most precise machining of any head I've used; which equals accuracy. You won't find a brand with more options for heads or more dependable. Family business and good folks. It has to say something if you've been around long enough to own a domain like www.broadheads.com

bigbulls 04-19-2010 06:52 PM

as for using the machine.. it was recommended to me by the bow shop.. he said the best way to tune your bow it to eliminate all human error thus insuring that your bow is as tuned as it could ever be.. and in part i think hes correct..
Well, you keep tuning with a machine then hunting with out one and you will always have an untuned bow so long as you are shooting the bow and not the machine. The machine isn't shooting the bow.... You are. You need to tune the bow with you shooting it, not a machine shooing it, not the pro shop manager shooting it, not your buddy down the street that is a self proclaimed expert shooting it... You and only you.

m98jack 04-19-2010 07:19 PM

i dont shoot fixed but my buddy does and he loves the g5 striker

i use mechanical rage all the way

bronko22000 04-26-2010 05:07 PM

Paper tuning is only 1/2 the tuning process. You also need to tune via the walk back method (there are post in here on that too). And, once you get all that done, then you fine tune using broadheads. The Martin Archery maunual you get with their bows give some good info on tuning if you can get your hands on one.
A properly tuned bow (shot by you), will shoot equal weight field tips and broadheads to the same point of impact.
If your broadheads are hitting higher than your field tips you may have to raise your nock set up a little.

SaintHubert 04-28-2010 10:34 AM

I love my Slick Tricks this much! :arms:

cubdriver 05-01-2010 06:12 AM

broadhead

I have found that Slick Tricks fly like my field points, are very strong and perform very well on game. I have settled in on them and I still shoot their magnums.

tight360 05-04-2010 08:37 PM

Nap

I have to agree with Redmag and Sniper 151, there maybe be broadheads out there, but, my Thunderheads have never given me a reason to look. I've been shooting them since '95

woodsnwater 05-04-2010 09:13 PM

G5 Montecs are all I've used for the last 3 years. Turkey, deer and elk. I'm not interested in anything else.

steelhead777 05-06-2010 05:02 AM

how about a great cut on impact head "the RazerTrick"

Madjac20 05-08-2010 03:54 PM

I like my 4 blade, 100 grain Muzzys

JoeA 05-18-2010 09:08 PM

I like Slick Tricks, but I've seen some awesome performance from Super Sonics from American Broadhead Company. Deep bone penetration on some monster hogs. They'll do the job on feral & mouflon sheep.

RockSteady 05-19-2010 01:04 AM

I use BlackStump Broadheads, an Australian made fixed 2 Blade head. Very solid, tune well and hold a good edge. The only time I need to replace one is if I loose one on a pass through or when I have re-sharpened them so many times they change from a 125g head to a 90g(when this happens the kids use them for varmint arrows:)).

They come in 5 or 6 weights and styles, they have shot well and on the dot out of any of the bows I use, from Trad gear to latest speed bows.

I mainly use them to take large Australian Boars and my family and I have successfully taken hundreds of decent boars with them.

Couple of pictures from last year and a short clip of my son dropping a young boar, tracking is not a problem as we normally see the drop.

If you want to buy some to try send me a PM.

Michael

antlerjockey 05-25-2010 01:14 PM

Muzzy's always. read deerfear.com's articles before you buy.

bow_hunter44 05-31-2010 04:51 AM

I have heard bow shops lobby the "machine tuned bow" argument before as well. Not a good idea! As pointed out before, the machine will not be shooting the bow, you will. If the bow and the shooter are not tuned to each other, all else is mute. As far as broadheads go there are a pile of good ones. I have had great luck with Stingers, Nightmares, and Muzzy Phantoms. I tend to be a cut-on-contact type. This year I think I will give the single bevel heads found on the Alaska Bowhunting Supply site a try.

steelhead777 05-31-2010 06:38 AM

take a close look at Slick Trick's new Razortrick!!

Doefever 06-22-2010 08:32 PM

Muzzy was the 1st broadhead I have ever used. I still use Muzzy and see no reason to stop.

Mr. Longbeard 06-24-2010 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Snood Slapper (Post 3614169)
Ok, I'll give you my fixed blade pick. I'm pretty certain I'll be the lone voice here for them here and I'm sure I'll be far overwhelmed by SlickTrick users and the like, but you just have to trust and try. You don't hear about them on boards like this much, yet, somehow, they have remained in business for years. How is this? Solid, quality, sharp heads. Innerloc. Absolutely the most precise machining of any head I've used; which equals accuracy. You won't find a brand with more options for heads or more dependable. Family business and good folks. It has to say something if you've been around long enough to own a domain like www.broadheads.com

Looks like ol interlock pretty much copied off Muzzy broadheads hum...

PALongspur 06-24-2010 05:25 PM

I started shooting G5 Strikers midway through the '08 bow season and I've been blown away by them. They shoot exceptional out of everything I've tried them with, even out to 50 yards. I get the same POI as field points.

The flight is one thing, the blood trails are another all together. For such a small head, they are devastating! The blood is immediate and profuse, and the entry and exit holes are deceiving, you'd never guess a 1 1/8" head could do damage like that.

I've also turned lots of my buddies on to them and they've experienced the same results.

I've also heard alot of good about Slick Trick heads, particularly the Magnum. Several close friends tried them last year and had similar results to what I mentioned with Strikers. Great flight and awesome blood trails.

You can't go wrong with either broadhead.

Tyler