Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

bow options for my wife

Old 02-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default bow options for my wife

I am trying to figure out what bow to get for my wife this year. Here are some parameters & info. She is relatively tall (5'8") and will probably only be pulling 40#. She won't be doing a ton of hunting, but some from time to time and will target shoot with me in the off season. I don't want to spend a ton of money (<$400). I was looking at bows with a longer ATA and brace height for forgiveness (is that a good assumption??). What about cams? Is a dual cam "better" than a single for a lady??? Some of the bows I am looking at are (most offer kits that would be beneficial also):

PSE Deer Hunter
PSE Nova (can it be set up for 40#??)
Diamond Razor's Edge
Alpine Frontier
Darton AS150
Martin ???
Bowtech - I loked a couple (Bridagier, Sniper) but they are too expensive

Any help/input would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Spike

my GF just got her 1st bow and really liked the HOYT TYKON JR, Diamond Razors edge and martin Leopard . she has a 24draw and 35pull but will hunt with 40. she ended up with the hoyt but liked all 3.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Spike

Got the Mathews Ignition for my wife last year. Hers is 30# but she doesn't hunt. Available up to 50# HOWEVER only up to 26" draw length. Probably wouldn't work for your wife. But what I'm getting at is that not only it did it shoot the best for my wife of all that we tried, but it is a single cam. That was a big selling point for me. Sure dual cams aren't rocket science, but a single cam is easier to deal with. With multiple bows to keep track of the single cam shot well and it just made my life easier.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bows you've mentioned are decent but in my experience... a BEST BUY and shockingly great on quality is the new BEAR YOUNG GUN. It has a VERY impressive drawlength adjustment range... without the need for a bow press.. and you also never again have to worry about the single modular adjustments like most of the bows you've mentioned above. Also the 50# model can be adjusted from 14" to 27" and 20# to 50#....just about the perfect woman/youth set up. It's silky smooth draw, string suppressor silencers keep it silent at the shot and it launches arrows with authority. You've got to chck one at. I should also mention that they can be had for around $300.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I got a Mission Menace (made by Mathews) and I love it. It it adjustable from 17-30in draw lengths, and 16-52lbs draw weight. It comes in a variety of colors (I have pink and the deer don't know the difference :P). And it is in your price range. The naked bow is $269 on the website, you can probably get it cheaper at a pro shop. With a complete set up, including case, arrows, and everything else I spent a little over $400. Since it's so adjustable she probably won't outgrow it.

http://missionarchery.com/menace-bow.asp
Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

A lot of women around here that shot at the range and a few of buddies wifes have the Diamond Edge.. This is great women/youth bow for someone just starting out and for the price, I believe it is going for around $350 or so...
Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Spike

I just bought my wife a PSE Chaos. It's like a X-Force on a smaller frame. It's fast smooth and has a lot of adjustment. We got the bow set up and 1/2 dozen arrows for about $380. It's a nice bow and I am really impressed with it. I would defiantly recommend it.