Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
best broadhead for a rookie >

best broadhead for a rookie

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

best broadhead for a rookie

Old 02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Spike

you cant go wrong with a fixed blade but if your new at the sport something like the rage with a 2 inch cutting diameter is the way to go shots in the field are alot different than at the range... if your after something cheap but the best pick up some muzzys good luck man have fun with the sport there is no bigger adrenaline rush!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in favor of the Rage 3-blade, They fly great and do some real damage.. I have shot both the G5 Montecs and Slick Tricks with poor results especially with the Slick Tricks... Montecs are very solid and are sharp as razors however after shooting them for 2 years with many kills the blood trail is just terrible.. I then went to the Slick Tricks and hated them my father had the same feeling of the ST after shooting them for 2 years.. We both are now shooting the Rage with NO complaints.. If you go with the Rage just make sure the blades are down all the way and you are good to go!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
Slick Trick Magnums. They fly great, they do alot of damage, and their only $25 a pack.
+1
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
Slick Trick Magnums. They fly great, they do alot of damage, and their only $25 a pack.
While there are a lot of quality heads on the market today, you can Not do any better than the Slick Tricks!!

I've shot Tricks since 03 with nothing but Awesome results. No broadhead will make up for Poor shot selection or Poor shot placement. Super Sharp, Great flight, Do lots of Damage, and tough as an anvil. What else could you ask from a broadhead?

Dan

Last edited by MeanV2; 03-08-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr for years with no complaints but 2 years ago I tried the Magnus Stingers 100 gr 2 blade and last year went to the 4 blade. My first impression was that the Stingers shot EXACTLY the same POI as my fieldtips. The Muzzys always needed a bit of tweeking when switching from fieldtips (same bow/setup). Also, I shot several deer with the Muzzy and they always covered 100+ yds after the shot. With the 2 buck I shot with the Stingers, the first ran 20 yds, walked another 30 and fell over. The second ran about 60 yds, stopped, laid down and expired. I also harvested a 1200 lb bison with a double lung pass through using this 63#/ 28" draw set up and the Stingers.
That being said, I would recommend the Stingers. However I have heard a lot of recommendations for the Slick Tricks. So they must be good.
Another thing - the Magnus heads come with a lifetime guarantee. I sent 3 or 4 back that got bent after passing through an animal, and they just sent me new ones.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

I've shot the NAP Hellrazors and the Bloodrunners. I LOVE the Hellrazors. They fly perfect and are sharp as hell (no pun intended, it just came out that way). The Bloodrunners took some tuning since the hellrazors were 125g and the bloodrunners are 100g but after I adjusted they shot pretty nice and the potential for 1.5" cut is pretty nice. I say you can't go wrong with the Hellrazors though. I won't dare shoot them at the same spot on a target because they are too accurate. You WILL ruin them. I buried one in the ground after shooting it through the shoulder of a doe and it still held up alright. I'm not shooting it again but I don't doubt that it would still pass through and kill an animal. I haven't shot the bloodrunner on an animal though.

Last edited by RyanATiffany; 04-15-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: I'm a grammar cop
Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by diamondrack
I'm in favor of the Rage 3-blade, They fly great and do some real damage.. I have shot both the G5 Montecs and Slick Tricks with poor results especially with the Slick Tricks... Montecs are very solid and are sharp as razors however after shooting them for 2 years with many kills the blood trail is just terrible.. I then went to the Slick Tricks and hated them my father had the same feeling of the ST after shooting them for 2 years.. We both are now shooting the Rage with NO complaints.. If you go with the Rage just make sure the blades are down all the way and you are good to go!!!
Poor blood trails has zero to do with the type of broadhead you are using and everything to do with where you hit and what was cut inside the animal..........

That being said, if you lack confidence in any piece of your equipment, do not use it!! You must be confiedent in your equipment.