Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

2008 82nd Airborne

Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default 2008 82nd Airborne

My first post over here, I'm usually in the guns section. Anyway, I'm looking at a brand new leftover 2008 82nd Airborne. The bow shop I deal with has this at a really good price since it's 2 years old. What are your thoughts? The only difference I can see between it and the 2009 is the design of the string stop. I believe this model has been replaced in 2010 by the Destroyer. I'm tight on funds but have been shooting a 9 year old Hoyt and figure it's time for an upgrade. I shot the bow and loved it, although I'm comparing it to a very old Hoyt. So am I foolish for buying a 2 year old new bow even if it is at a significant savings? I can pretty much but the bow and set it up with all new Octane gear for the same price as a bare 2010 Destroyer. Thoughts?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Typical Buck

I have one and with the simple help of a MeanV string suppressor you switch from 2008 to 2009 model. I left the original stopper on the bow. But the MeanV still helps making the bow less edgy.
The 82nd is a mean bow, you'll find the draw a little harsh at first but then you'll love the way the stop is a hard wall. Don't give her any creep or this bow's gonna toy with you.
She fast as well and delivers plenty of KE.
Make sure the cables and strings are changed, after 2 years they will be worn, no matter how many shots fired.
All so check for camlean and make sure that the specs of the bow come close to those on the bowtech website.
I have one and allthough the new destroyer looks awesome, I still am not sure to get one to replace my 82nd.

If you have any questions, just PM me or ask MeanV, he's on HNI as well.

Frank
Belgium
Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting a 82nd and I love it. I owned an 08 and sold it to try the BT Captain and an Elite GT500. In the end, I returned to the 82nd for its superior speed and accuracy.

You can also look on AT classifieds if funds are tight. This is a safe and relaible place to buy bows (check feedback).

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=100
Old 02-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a great bow. Some people worried about the short brace height and aggressive cams making it hard to shoot but I personaly think it is a very easy to shoot bow. I think the longer ata helps alot. I have a 2008 and dont plan on getting rid of it any time soon. Like mentioned before either adding a meanv suppresor or taking the factory one off and just using the meanv makes a world of difference.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by passthru79
Its a great bow. Some people worried about the short brace height and aggressive cams making it hard to shoot but I personaly think it is a very easy to shoot bow. I think the longer ata helps alot. I have a 2008 and dont plan on getting rid of it any time soon. Like mentioned before either adding a meanv suppresor or taking the factory one off and just using the meanv makes a world of difference.
I never heard of the MeanV suppresor, what exactly does it do to make the bow shoot better? I checked them out online and seems alot of people are more than pleased with them. I'm going this weekend to wheel and deal on this bow and if I do get a deal done I may very well consider replacing the factory string stop for one of these MeanV's. Are they durable?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:09 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

The guys above pretty much covered it. I had one and really liked the bow. It shot well for me. I could group my fixed blade heads with FP's at 50 yards. Very shootable for a speed bow. If you can get one cheap you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Well I took the plunge. I bought the 82nd last night. It's a 60# set at 27.5" draw. I added a G5 3 pin sight, Octane 1 piece quiver, Octane Capture Pro rest and Limbsaver stabilizer. Bought a dozen Terminator Hunter arrows w/ Blazer vanes also. I go back today to finish setting it up, we ran out of time last night. I'm curious to see what speed it's shooting over the chrony. I'm hoping for 285-290fps but my short draw length is gonna hold me back. I'm going to order the MeanV string stop as you all suggested. Even the guy at the pro shop said how much better it will be over the 2008 version. Thanks for all feedback! As a side note, this is strictly a hunting bow which is why I went with the rest I did. I've hunted a long time with a standard drop away and always thought how nice it would be to use a rest that I didn't have to hold the arrow in place while having the bow sitting across my lap.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Camosteel
Well I took the plunge. I bought the 82nd last night. It's a 60# set at 27.5" draw. I added a G5 3 pin sight, Octane 1 piece quiver, Octane Capture Pro rest and Limbsaver stabilizer. Bought a dozen Terminator Hunter arrows w/ Blazer vanes also. I go back today to finish setting it up, we ran out of time last night. I'm curious to see what speed it's shooting over the chrony. I'm hoping for 285-290fps but my short draw length is gonna hold me back. I'm going to order the MeanV string stop as you all suggested. Even the guy at the pro shop said how much better it will be over the 2008 version. Thanks for all feedback! As a side note, this is strictly a hunting bow which is why I went with the rest I did. I've hunted a long time with a standard drop away and always thought how nice it would be to use a rest that I didn't have to hold the arrow in place while having the bow sitting across my lap.
You can check out the MeanV Suppressors on my website at: www.meanvarchery.com The Mini is what you will need for the 82nd.

The 08 82nd I had I put a Mini MeanV on the lower stabilizer hole and changed the stock rubber out to the BowJax rpl rubber and the difference was very noticable.

Be sure and check the website from time to time. Very soon I will be launching a new website, and 2010 will see some major expansion.

Dan
Old 02-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I just got done setting the bow up and sighting the 20 yard pin. The arrows I'm shooting are 378 grains and it shot 280fps over the chroney. They said this was plenty of kinetic energy for anything I'll ever hunt. I was pretty happy with 280fps with a 60# bow and a short 27.5" draw length. Should turn out to be pretty good hunting setup for me. Thanks again for the input guys.