Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
the perfect allround outdoorsknife >

the perfect allround outdoorsknife

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

the perfect allround outdoorsknife

Old 12-26-2009, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default the perfect allround outdoorsknife

I've been looking for some time now for a decent allround outdoorsknife, something you can use for just about anything you do outdoor. gutting animals and some butchering, chopping a little wood, carving, setting and making traps etc.....

I've narrowed my choice to one manufacturer, one I think has good steel qualities but I found two knives in their collection that could be what I am looking for;
http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/de...ing-knives/phk
or
http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/de...g-knives/h1z3g

just looking for some opinions, I am drawn to the shorter one because of it's straight back.

So, show me what you carry and what you think of the ones I'm looking at.

thx

HO HO HO and stuff............
Old 12-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Though neither of those would be my on my list of choices, of the two, I'd go with the H1Z3G. Everything is more appropriate on that model; blade length, steel, and shape.

You are suggesting by your specifications/requirements/usage that you need this for bushcraft. Therefore, if I may be so bold to suggest: if I had to limit myself to the Fallkniven brand (which do make excellent knives for a production company, by the way), personally I'd chose a F1 model. It has a full tang and is less expensive, while retaining the proper blade length, geometry and steel.

I don't have enough room here to show you what I carry; I have more fixed blades than I care to mention. I have so many that I like. I have many that are fairly expensive, but to be honest, the ones that get the most carry are my cheaper ones. This Mora 780 Triflex Craftsmen gets a lot of carry by me. I bought it for $15. Had a better sheath made for it that cost more than the knife, but I can always replace the knife cheaply. However, I've never had to. Had the same one for 15 years now.

Last edited by Snood Slapper; 12-26-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any Shrade Knife like the Old timer would do, I lost one in 2007 Season and found it a year later , still had the shine and edge , paid $20 for it.