HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   New Sight... HHA? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/313170-new-sight-hha.html)

Western MA Hunter 12-22-2009 03:41 PM

New Sight... HHA?

Looking for a new sight for my Mathews Z7.
I have been researching the HHA OL 5000 sight. Does anyone here have any experience w/ this sight?
I will probably be going to a single pin...
If not, a new 3 pin... any suggestions?

I have a G5 currently, but broke one of the 3 fiber optics. I was not thrilled w/ the durability of the fiber optics on it.

Thanks

cartman308 12-23-2009 01:38 AM

I used an OL5000 on my Bowtech Tribute for awhile. The sight is a very nice sight. Strong and durable. Once you get use to the slider sights you won't want to go back to the multi pin sights. I set mine dead on at 25 yards. Then I practiced at various distances to know the hold over/under. I got very good at it! Shot a couple good 3d scores that way last summer. First time I'd shot 3d in a looooooong time. I believe this is the best hunting sight because there is no confusing which pin to use. Accurately judge your distance and you have meat in the freezer!

That being said. I am switching to a multi pin sight. Not because they are better sights, but to use a slider in 3d you are forced to the open classes. They stretch the yardage markers out in that class. Hunter classes have to use fixed pin sights. :( I plan on doing alot more 3d this spring and summer. Probably leave the fixed pins on for hunting seeing that I won't be as practiced with the slider :(

vans 12-23-2009 05:00 AM

I've had a couple different HHA sight's through the years, customer service is excellent as I've had to replace some parts on a old sight, they mailed parts to me -no-charge

BGfisher 12-23-2009 05:34 AM

I've used both type of sights extensively for many years. Mostly using an OL-5000 and various Spot Hogg sights. The last year or two my eyes have really gone south and multiple pins just blur together. Of course, I've also made the mistake of using the wrong pin once in a while, although not while hunting. I used to strip the multi-pin sight down to only two pins for hunting.

This past year I've had to go to the OL-5000 exclusively. Less pin blur, although it's still there (Specialty Verifer needed now). The only thing I did have to do is wrap electrical tape around the housing to tone down the fiber some. It's too bright for my ailing eyes.

However, if your eyes are good then it can be a wonderful sight, especially for hunting. It's ruggedly built with a nice wide guard that protects the pin better than any other sight I've ever used. It's quiet and adjusts easily enough. If it has one drawback it would be it's mass weight, but that's part of the price to be paid for quality. The only thing that even remotely resembles plastic is the fiber and the nylon washers at the pivot points. The rest is all machined aluminum.

If you read the warranty information from HHA all their sights come with a No Questions Asked Lifetime Warranty.

Western MA Hunter 12-23-2009 09:25 AM

Thanks everyone... just ordered the OC 5019... Merry Christmas to me! :)

mfd1027 12-23-2009 10:07 AM

I've used HHA's forever and I love em "but" they seem to have a problem on Mathews bows due to the size of the scope housing - 2". Over in the "technical" section there's a post up now "sight problem" that you might want to keep an eye on. Not trying to be the grinch just want to make sure your aware of what you may find when you mount that new sight on your new Z7.

Dan

wvnimrod 12-24-2009 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter (Post 3537320)
Thanks everyone... just ordered the OC 5019... Merry Christmas to me! :)

Be aware that if you line your peep with your outer scope ring to line things up as most do,you may run into problems! I have the OL-5019 on my Z7 also and ran into this problem.But I'm just going to live it,I can still shoot the same its just a small problem, but other than that the OL-5019 is sweet! Merry Christmas

Western MA Hunter 12-24-2009 11:53 AM

WVnimrod, i am confused what the problem is when you use the peep?

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-24-2009 12:05 PM

OL5500 is the one I use and love it

wvnimrod 12-24-2009 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter (Post 3538300)
WVnimrod, i am confused what the problem is when you use the peep?

The problem is in order to get my pin sighted in I have to move the scope so far to the right that when I sight thru my peep I am unable to line the circle of the peep up with the circle of the scope because the scope is blockked by the riser,basicly a reversed D insted of a O is what I see, and I always lined up the two circles its just an annoyance! you may not have that problem but just thought you may want to know that you could have,hopefully not! Merry Christmas.