Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
thinking about bowhunting need thoughts on bow >

thinking about bowhunting need thoughts on bow

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

thinking about bowhunting need thoughts on bow

Old 12-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Spike

Default thinking about bowhunting need thoughts on bow

I just joined the forums. I'm 26 year old and I'm thinking about getting into bow hunting and target practice. I would like to stay under $500 with bow,sights,rest(package deal). I know I need to find my draw length but I researched and I found something that said measure arm span and divide by 2.5 which mine would be 28". I'm thinking probably 60lb draw weight. Any advice would be great to help me get started.

Thanks,

David
Old 12-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Spike

My dad had a old fred bear that I've shot a few times. I'm just trying to look for a bow to start with and a bow that will be good for my first bow. I'll be using it for deer hunting and then target practicing in the off season. If anyone could point me in the right direction. I've thought about fred bear, martin, and hoyt would be nice but I think they are out of my price range.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

Go to your local shop and shoot some they have. Get a feel for what you like. Shoot a single cam, slaved dual cam, or any other cam system they have. Each will have a different feel. which one is best for you, only you can decide.

Shoot all the bows they have or will allow you to shoot that is in the price range you want.

Chances are the shop will have a few package deals with sights and all.

It's really difficult to find a bad bow nowadays. All the manufactures make very good bows.

Good luck and welcome to the healthy addiction of archery!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:48 AM
Spike

I have one proshop in town and he sells Matthews, Hoyt, and Parker. I know the Matthews is way out of my price range. I think Hoyt is too but not sure of prices on those. Parker I'm not sure how they are. I've got a dicks about 45minutes away(I don't know how well they know how to set a bow up) and they sell Martin, PSE, I think Parker, and Fred Bear. One of my friends bought a Martin from there and he said they set it up, fitted him and let him shoot before he bought it. I'm not sure if this would be a good option or not.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

X2 on what cartman308 has to say. Shoot as many different kinds that you can. Each kind will feel a little different and just a few will feel good. Only 1 or 2 will feel "right". I give that advise, but I did not use that advise when I purchased mine this summer. I did shoot a couple, but I wish I would have shot many more. Not that I don't like my bow, I just wish I would have shot a few more. I ended up buying a Martin Cheetah package deal from a dealer out of Kentucky. Great price and great customer service.

Total package price included Bow, site, release, quiver, 6 arrows, 3 broadheads, field tips, stabilizer, sling, case, set-up and shipping was 585. That includes tuning and sighting in to 20 yards and chrono report. I actually wanted the PSE Stinger but they were sold out of the 2009 model when I made the purchase. I actually liked the Martin better anyway, so it worked out.

So,anyway, talk to the local shop and the guys at dicks. They will give great advise. Good luck and be prepared to get hooked. The fun never stops.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Spike

Buy a used Mathews Mq 32 on ebay. you can get a good set up for a good price if you are patient. I had the mq 1 and bought the mq 32 when it first came out and it is an awesome bow. Lots of guys who have upgraded from it to newer Mathews bows still rave about their 32s. I have looked for another one on ebay as a backup just incase and you can definately get one in your price range and still have money left for a tree stand.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I piked up a brand new '09 Fred Bear truth 2 on ebay for 275 bucks, one hell of a bow at any price. I have shot Bear bows all my life, this is like my 7th bear in 20 something years, never had a problem with any of them.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by david33
I have one proshop in town and he sells Matthews, Hoyt, and Parker. I know the Matthews is way out of my price range. I think Hoyt is too but not sure of prices on those. Parker I'm not sure how they are. I've got a dicks about 45minutes away(I don't know how well they know how to set a bow up) and they sell Martin, PSE, I think Parker, and Fred Bear. One of my friends bought a Martin from there and he said they set it up, fitted him and let him shoot before he bought it. I'm not sure if this would be a good option or not.
I think Hoyt makes a couple bows that would be in your range or pretty close. They are basically the AM series with a magnesium riser. I think they are called the TurboHawk??? Not up to date on the Hoyts, i could be wrong.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Spike

Does anybody know how much they Hoyt Turbohawk or the Powerhawk cost? I emailed the owner of the shop but haven't got a response back yet. How much are bows off the MSRP usually? The Fred Bear Charge and the Strike may be in my price range. Those are 2010 models though.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

I picked up a new fred bear showdown package deal for my son this year for like $300 on ebay,and I was truely Impressed with this bow it shoots great and is quiter than my mathews and very lite and you can't beat the price ready to hunt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.