HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Want to get a bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/308706-want-get-bow.html)

adam11082 11-02-2009 04:23 AM

Want to get a bow

Well, the wife said she'd get me a bow for Christmas. I've never hunted bow and have only shot a compound once in my life. Anyways, I don't want to break the bank on something I may not even enjoy, so i thought I would get an inexpensive package deal to start off with.

I would like to keep it in the $350ish range. How does this one look? Recommendations are encouraged!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...021&hasJS=true

Thanks
Adam

BGfisher 11-02-2009 06:28 AM

I normally try to stay out of these things, but do have to give what I would call sound advice. You know virtually nothing about archery or bowhunting. Therefore you will end up, almost assuredly, getting a package with a bow that is the incorrect draw length for you and too much draw weight.

I would suggest going to a local pro shop and at least seeing what they can offer you. Get measured for draw length properly with no guessing. Don't forget, somewhere down the road you're going to need some servicing on your equipment. It's better to know someone that has better knowledge of what they are doing and can and will take the time to set up your equipment and help you with some fundamentals on how to shoot it.

At least give them a chance. Price differences aren't always that great for the same gear.

Valentine 11-02-2009 07:19 AM

It's nearly an impossible task today

If you never heard of draw length, or until you have and been measured, stay away from buying a compound bow.

If you can't get in better shape, don't try a compound bow. Most newbies find they have to use muscles that were "invented" or so it seems.

How much can you lose. There is the cost of the bow; the cost of the arrows; the cost of fletching; fletching jig; the cost of the release; the cost of the target; a place to practice; arrow points; arrow broadheads; the bow case; the stabilizer; the arrow rest; the quiver; the sight; arm guard.

Maybe a $150 or so saw made just for cutting carbon arrows. A wonderful place to find a use of money.

And there are those who buy all the expensive equipment and can't find a nearby area to practice or shoot their bow. It happens.

It's not impossible; but some may not really want to enter the mine field.

adam11082 11-02-2009 07:30 AM

There is a local shop that I plan on visiting. The only thing is, is he rapes you on the price. I definately plan on getting measured to assure I have the right draw length.

cartman308 11-02-2009 07:31 AM

most bow shops will have an enexpensive package deal to set you up with. Go to your local shop and have them hook you up.

diamondjustice 11-18-2009 07:19 PM

dont be afraid to spend a little more trust me you will not regret it you dont want to get a pice of junk for 10 bucks and be like man i love shooting but now i have to by another bow trust me my first bow was a mirco midus from browning it was fine for a while but i shot alot and the freakin cams bent talk about mad but that is what i am saying i didnt know what i was doing and bought a cheap bow because i didnt want to spend the money and now i wish i would have bows these days are very adjustible they can fit most of the shooters these days i have a diamond justice and i love it. it is made by bow tech adjustible draw weight and lenght it is easy to pull and now hand shock not too loud it is a well rounded bow

i would stay away from martin fred bare and browning

bow tech mathews mission diamond tech hunter made by the same people but different fits styles and price dont be afraid to shoot drifferent bows find what fits you

i have had my bow since 07 and i shoot ALOT the only thing that needed replaced was string and cable

let me know what you think and keep us updated on what you are looking at if you need more advice hope i can help