HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/30734-broadheads.html)

snortweez 05-26-2003 12:59 AM

broadheads

Im looking to see what kind of fix blade broadhead in a 100 gr head u guys would recomend for whitetails?? Ive been looking at thundeheads,and the rocky mt Titanium heads..

PS. Im shooting a carbon express arrow. And will these small heads fly like feild points of the same weight ... please respond

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

5 shot 05-26-2003 06:59 AM

RE: broadheads

Last question first. No they will not fly like field points, but with a well tuned setup with enough fletching they will both shoot very well and may group with your field points. It' s hard to pick one head and say it' s the best, but thunderheads, Muzzys, Rocky titainiums, wasp sst' s, Magnus stingers etc are all quality made broadheads that will get the job done for you. If your going to shoot the thunderheads on carbon arrows though, be sure to use the Ubar' s. These are little rings that fit between the shaft and insert. the fill in the " gap" between the size of the ferrule on the broadhead and the insert. With thunderheads they hold the blades in place and keep them from falling out. Thunderheads use an O ring to keep everything consistant, and if you don' t use the Ubar' s they blades could fall out under heavy impact. If you shoot a larger diameter aluminum shaft you won' t have any problems at all.
You can go to my website www.broadheadtests.com and get some tuning tips for seting up your broadheads. That should get you started and help explain a few things. It may also help you pick a broadhead.

Illini002 05-26-2003 08:54 AM

I have always used Thunderhead 100' s and have never had any problems with them. The replacement blades are cheap (inexpensive) and are very sharp out of the box. I would recommend the Thunderhead 100' s. Hope this helps.

T-23 05-27-2003 11:02 AM

I' ve been debating between muzzy and thunderhead for a while and i decided to go with the muzzy' s because i' ve heard stuff about thunderhead blades not working all that great. I heard nothing but great stuff about muzzy, so i' m going to try them this year.

Mykey 05-27-2003 11:49 AM

I' ve always used Thunderhead 100' s and have never had a problem. I' ve killed lots of deer with this head and have never had the broadhead to fail in any way. The blades are by far the sharpest out of the box that i' ve seen. I' ve heard some complain about the rubber o-ring but it hasn' t given me any trouble either. I started buying the carbon thunderheads last year that comes with the adaptor rings or you can buy the standard thunderheads and buy the adaptor rings seperate. If i didn' t shoot thunderheads i would be shooting Muzzy so i don' t think you could go wrong with either.