HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Fred Bear Attack (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/307316-fred-bear-attack.html)

zrexpilot 10-19-2009 05:13 PM

Fred Bear Attack

any reviews yet or are they even out.

332-340 fps

http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/b...mpound/attack/

bowkiller95 11-10-2009 11:53 AM

they arent out til janurary but you can bet ill be the first in my town to get one.

jag-mag 11-10-2009 04:14 PM

750.00 seems like alot of money for a fred bear bow. I have
not shot any of the bear bows lately so I'm just thinking out
loud.

wvnimrod 12-13-2009 06:18 AM

I was never a fan of bear bows i shoot mathews! But my son wanted to learn to shoot and since he looses intrest in things I didn't want to invest alot of money in a bow for him right away,I found a new bear showdown on ebay and got it for $170 delivered and set it up and was really impressed with it very lite and extreamly quite and shoots very well they have come along way over the years and I have to say for the lower end I would give them alook but if I were going to spend big$$$ on a new bow I'd go with Mathews or Diamond!

zrexpilot 12-13-2009 10:05 AM

its funny how you guys look down on fred bear.
Matthews has had a streak of broken limbs but thats ok ?

I just bought a fred bear truth ll.
Wouldnt trade it for anything.
296 fps with a hunting arrow, super quite, smooth draw, no recoil, and looks that kill and cheap too. Not to mention no broken limbs in 25 years of owning a fred bear.

bucksnortinted 12-18-2009 03:05 PM

The bear Attack is out there are people shooting them on A/T has good reviews,when a mathews dealer says its the smoothest bow he has ever shot thats saying something,becacause the smoothest bow i ever shot was an 05' Switchback

MISwampDog 12-20-2009 04:42 AM

I think it's funny that the fred bear line ie Bear Archery was the top bow line for years and years and people forget that. Seems to be mathews this and mathews that. Oh well. To each his own.

HeadHunterII 12-20-2009 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MISwampDog (Post 3534422)
I think it's funny that the fred bear line ie Bear Archery was the top bow line for years and years and people forget that. Seems to be mathews this and mathews that. Oh well. To each his own.

That is due to the now generation. These days, most don't care about what they are getting... only that someone else said it was the best... regardless if that is the manufacturer, a magazine editor or some hunter on television.

Bear doesn't spend millions every year on advertising because they don't have to. They don't give bows to thousands of competetive archers because they don't have to. Bear doesn't have their own magazine, talking about how good their gear is, because they don't have to.

Bear fans are bear fans because of the history (grandpaw, dad shot one), the quality (Yep, just as high quality as bowtech, hoyt and mathews) and the price ($750 msrp for their flagship bow... much cheaper than most of the other big companies out there).

The same goes for a bunch of the other companies out there... pearson, darton... the old companies out there...

zrexpilot 12-20-2009 05:51 PM

well I didnt get the new Attack. I got a smoking deal on an '09 Truth ll that I couldnt pass up.
70lbs 29" draw and a 27" 400- 8.4 gpi arrow I got 288-296 fps out of it.
This is replacing my Bear TRX 32. The truth ll is very nice and quite and smooth, no vibration.
and heres my first kill with it.

JeffB 12-21-2009 04:45 AM

I have shot pretty much all the new "hot lick" bows for 2010, and although it's not my personal cup of tea, the Bear Attack is by a signficant amount the quietest, most recoil free bow I've shot. The DFC is pretty stout for a single but the transitions are smooth and it has a very nice comfortable valley. The IBO is is fairly inflated according to my shop's testing (mid to high 320s is more realistic), and the draw lengths def run long, but at the shot the bow is absolutely incredible- The D350, Z7, maxxis,DSUF, older Mathews like the SB/OB, Truth II, etc all fall behind the Attack for shot feel & lack of noise. I was surpised and floored at just how dead the bow is- and that was with absolutely nothing on the bow.

I think the closest thing to the "dead" feel of the Attack is prolly the BT General, but the attack feels tighter (in a good way) and is signficantly faster than the General.

Great bow.

bucksnortinted 12-22-2009 08:34 PM

[quote=MISwampDog;3534422]I think it's funny that the fred bear line ie Bear Archery was the top bow line for years and years and people forget that. Seems to be mathews this and mathews that. Oh well. To each his own.[/quote

hey
if you are making a statement to my post you should read it again

by the way,i shoot a X-Force 6 HF

Not a mathews,this is supposed to be about archers helping archers.............isn't it,not bashing.

life and death are in the power of the tongue

bdn3 12-23-2009 05:51 AM

I've been shooting Fred Bear Bows since 1974 and in that time I have been through 6 of them and still have everyone of them and never had an issue with any of them . I still shoot my 1974 Bear Grizzly on occasion and still take it on late season doe hunts . My latest is the Truth II , but as soon as I can get my hands on an Attack I will have one more Bear bow hanging on my wall.

mfd1027 12-23-2009 07:07 AM

I'm not really into looks but they sure look nice and I'd have to say that JeffB's semi-endorsement means something. He doesn't pull punches and he's definitely not a fan-boy of anyone. I can't wait to get my hands on one so I can run it through the pace's and make a decision for myself.

Dan

The Bear Truth 01-03-2010 05:32 PM

Amen Bear brothers I've been getting bashed from the day I bought my Truth, and there is not one of my friends that will deny my bow has killed more deer than theirs. I didn't have to spend $1000 to do it either

MB77 02-07-2010 10:19 PM

i shot mathews for years. Switched to a bear lights out last year. I loved it more than any mathews i shot at half the price. I just sold it to a buddy and am now looking for a new bow. I just saw this bow and cant wait to shoot it. More reviews please

sixgunluvr 02-09-2010 12:44 PM

Bashing

I'm not bashing...just stating personal preference. I bought a Diamond "Iceman" thinking I might like it as much as the 2 Bear Instincts i owned.
After having it a week I put it up for sale and bought 2 used Bear Instincts for less than than the Iceman.......now I have 4 Bear Instincts.:D

jaywalker 02-13-2010 10:52 AM

That bow looks awsome zrexpiolet.

dodgeman2680 02-15-2010 09:25 PM

I just shot this bow today and let me tell you, this bow is FAST!!!! Smooth draw, great all around feeling bow, the max preload limbs really do make this thing amazing fast!! As soon as I get the cash im getting one!!!

rankbull 02-16-2010 01:03 PM

It looks like one heck of a bow, lots of bow company's are making a "comeback" this year. Fred Bear is making some good moves, Ben Pearson's bow are looking real good this year too. This is coming from a long time Bowtech shooter.

MB77 02-16-2010 06:37 PM

ok so i tried this week to go and shoot one. All the shops listed on the dealer locator are not stocking them. So i went out on a limb. I bid on one on ebay. I won it brand new, never shot for 500 bucks. The only downfall was that its 60 lb limbs instead of 70 like I wanted. So i called Bear today. They said no problem, as long as its new, send it to them and they will swap it for a 70 lb limb model. Great customer service already. I hope it shoots good.

MB77 02-23-2010 06:11 PM

So I recieved my attack today brand new in the box. Cant say anything about how it shoots because i'm sending it in for the 70 lb swap, but it feels great in my hand. Light, draws smooth and holds really nice. It put it right back in the box and am sending it out to bear tomorrow. Cant wait to get it back and start shooting. Reviews will follow.

marshall9779 02-24-2010 05:21 AM

Can't wiat to hear how she does. The only bow I've owned is my Bear Instict. I had it since I bought it new in 2005 I believe. I still love it. I will be getting it restrung this weekend and should make it even better. I am not a fan of the newer grips, but other than that I would love to upgrade to an Attack bow given the chance and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Bear bow. The only other company that I think yields the same value and quality would be a Martin Bow.

slayer_54 03-02-2010 09:48 AM

waiting to shoot the attack but no one has them yet! right now the Z7 has really impressed me and im a Bear fan! i will wait to shoot the bear and make sure i buy the bow that i like better.

zrexpilot 03-03-2010 12:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopqf...eature=related

hunting sniper 03-09-2010 04:49 PM

I have also shot the attack. I thought it was a sweet bow. Small, Quiet and plenty fast. They might not be the most talked about, but they have some nice bows.

ProShopz 03-17-2010 09:11 AM

BEAR is UGLY AS HELL they are now tryin to make their Bows look the PSE and The Mathews Monter NOW haha they sure are the followers !!!

zrexpilot 03-17-2010 06:11 PM

lay off the Hateorade, proshopz. Theres no doubt which is the better looking bow.

RyanATiffany 04-15-2010 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by mfd1027 (Post 3537214)
I'm not really into looks but they sure look nice and I'd have to say that JeffB's semi-endorsement means something. He doesn't pull punches and he's definitely not a fan-boy of anyone. I can't wait to get my hands on one so I can run it through the pace's and make a decision for myself.

Dan

Agreed. I'm not about to NOT check one out. I thought his post was about the most helpful thing I've read on this bow yet.

B.E. Strong 06-04-2010 08:57 AM

If you think $750 is to much you can go on ebay and get a Bear Attack fully loaded with sight and 6 Carbon Arrows cut and bow set to poundage and draw for $750 with free shipping thats a great deal!

Claytonlj 06-15-2010 06:09 PM

I purchased an Assault and am impressed. 60 lb limbs, set at 54 lbs. I did put grommets with zip ties as retainers to get the suppressors closer to the string, after lowering poundage. Draw length set up was an experiment also. 29 inch module, measured dl of 29 1/4ish. Moved draw stop to the 28 position, string to the + position, just right, shoots great. I did wrap the grip area with tennis racket tape.

This bow is light, quick, quiet and fun to shoot. Uses the same cam as the Attack, different limbs and riser?

I put some arrows through it before installing the peep. The strings appear stable, NO peep position change in approximately 500 shots.

2 garden terrosists have been eliminated - 15 and 24 yards, clean kills with a XX75 and judo point.

The bow was purchased from a shop on ebay for $549, whisker biscuit, sight, quiver and free shipping. I would have paid more locally, but no shops carried them. I did upgrade the quiver to the model one, quiet, solid and well made also.

Seems to be a quality bow at a great price.

And I've owned bows from 7 or more different manufacturers (Diamond, Hoyt, Darton, Oneida, PSE, Pearson, Martin, High Country - I think,) over the last 2 years. Some had cams that were too aggressive for my liking. One just had terrible cam lean issues. Others didn't satisfy me in the "feel" department. This Bear caught me offguard - I did not expect it to perform this well. But it does - for me anyway, it may not for others.

Fowlball 06-26-2010 07:12 AM

I bought an Attack back in April. I have put 500+ arrows through it so far and the other day I had Limb brake. I took it back the shop and they called Bear. Bear is sending out new limbs to me but they did not sound suprized thgat the limb broke. I still love the bow and have not found a smoother shooting, quieter, more dead in hand bow on the market yet.

mikieday 06-30-2010 07:27 PM

I just purchased a Bear Attack 50/60lb, 29in draw and i am very pleased with it. it maxes out at 63lbs and shoots like a dream..very fast and holds like a rock. the grip is going to take a bit of getting used to but I dont see a issue at all.

tcicon 07-11-2010 06:38 PM

It's a shooter

This is gonna be my next purchase! I just came back from Bass Pro and after shooting an ATTACK I'm blown away! You talk about sweet, it is. Smooth draw, no vibration, no kick, and very quiet. Super fast! Ishot 4 arrows and you could cover 3 with a quarter at 25 yards. Just my 2 cents worth.

bear attack 07-17-2010 10:19 PM

Bought the attack on the 13th. The bow peaks out at 74 pounds. Shoots like a dream and very fast. Thought I would run off a rabbit using a bludgeon tip (hope I spelled that right) and had a little problem. I was about 20 yards away and sent the arrow straight through the little sucker. Shoots a bit harder than I was expecting. Can't wait to try it on a deer!

bdn3 08-24-2010 07:39 AM

Got my new atack in last fri. ,I loved my truthII but it's not in the same league as the attack . Been shooting bear bows since 1973 and this is hands down the best yet

epicdoom 09-06-2010 11:44 AM

waiting on this bow should be a few days. A bit about myself I am an old salt worked in a pro shop for 13 years and an avid archer since the age of 14 im 44 now I have seen and shot just about every bow on the market since age 14. working in a pro shop was the best thing I ever did because I learned alot about the sport and how the tools work.

one of the best bows I have ever owned was a bear/ jennings carbon extreame. I say this because it's the only bow I never had to replace limbs on ever. funny thing is I shot AMO on all the others Pearson, york, golden eagle,onida, XI, you name it I was in the shop one day and decided to do some testing on the new Jennings so I fletched up some arrows in different weights/ spines. I ended up settled on an arrow that was 4 grains per pound at my 80# draw weight that arrow was shooting 315 fps all day long. I won my county championship with that bow and was ranked 3rd in my home state.

I was approached by a guy who came into my store and was laughing at me for shooting a jennings he claimed it was a POS and all bear jennings products were POS. I asked the guy to put his money where his mouth was he was shooting one of the first Mathews solo cams on the market. he agreed to the terms, I give him a brand new mathews from the rack fully loaded with anything he wanted if he won. If I won he gives me his mathews bow and I sell it for $50 to the next customer that walks through the door. after the smoke cleared I had robin hooded 2 of his arrows and left him knockless on 3 0f the remaining 4. My arrows he tore off 1 **** feather. in the end I let him keep his bow.

the moral of this story is the bow doesn't make the shooter, the shooter makes the bow period. sure some are more comfortable then others but none of that matters if the shooter has no skills to use it. I still have that carbon extreame and after 10s of thousands of arrows throught that bow at 4 Gr per pound she has only suffered a worn string and cables i retired that bow a 4 years ago when I had a heart attack. I was unable to draw and hold so I bought a crossbow to hunt with. I have been back shooting over the last year using my old York bushwacker 2 and decided to buy a new bear bow. I hope its as reliable as my last will keep you posted as to how I like it.

Joe

huntingkidPA 11-08-2010 04:12 AM

the look of that bow gives me chills! i love fred bear

bcbrave 12-28-2010 11:37 AM

epicdoom, i also have the jennings carbon extreme. My dad handed it down to me when i was 14 years old and killed a deer with every year with it loved that bow. I found it to be really fast for as old has it was. but now iam 17 years old and have just bought the bear attack and love it as well i would reccomend this bow to any one.