HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   going carbon or not (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/304603-going-carbon-not.html)

m9a9g9i9c 09-23-2009 07:02 AM

going carbon or not

ok,

I'm shooting fmj's and having no problem, they do what I tell them to do, hit where I want and fly like I want.
But since I crancked up my 60# bowtech 82nd and shot her through the chrono I want to change certain things.
I only got 256 out of her, so I ordered a new string and now I'm concidering going to all carbon arrows to reduce the weight.
My question is how durable are they and how many have shot splintered arrows and got out without bleeding or stitching ?

Frank

Bernie P. 09-24-2009 05:09 AM

I've no experience with FMJ's so I cant say how much difference there is in durability but all carbons are plenty tough.Only a total moron would risk shooting a splintered arrow.

live2Draw 09-24-2009 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bernie P. (Post 3452085)
I've no experience with FMJ's so I cant say how much difference there is in durability but all carbons are plenty tough.Only a total moron would risk shooting a splintered arrow.

Agree! it takes all of 10 seconds to inspect your arrows before you shoot.

Sniper151 09-25-2009 05:51 PM

I would stay with the FMJ's or ACC's for the fact that they both use an aluminum exterior or interior. I have witnessed far too many hollow carbon arrow failures that have resulted in injury to the shooter. You also may want to check out the Easton XX78 Super Slams. They are a premium aluminum arrow and they weigh less per inch than the FMJ's.

m9a9g9i9c 09-28-2009 09:46 AM

thx, that the kind of info I was looking for.
I don't want to drop safety issues for the sake of speed.

F.

Valentine 09-28-2009 03:56 PM

Stayed with aluminum; nothing derogitory with carbon

Always considered myself a part-time archer; full time gun hunter.

Even though I practiced a lot over the years, I was always satisfied with the slower bow and the slower arrow, if that were so.

I knew the back and forth of flething aluminum arrows; shot them accurate; used an inexpensive hacksaw to hand trim the lengths for practice and hunting.

And I'll admit, that cost for the expensive saws, made especially for carbon arrows, depleted any desire to shoot carbon arrows.

Sniper151 09-28-2009 04:32 PM

Valentine, for a part time archer you have your ducks in a row. Speed in archery has it's place, on the 3-D range. For hunting, I agree with you on a quiet, well tuned bow that's deadly accurate. Many of the products developed today are to quite noisy bows. Had the archer chosen a medium cam with the correct arrow weight, the noise problems would be minimal and there would be no need for MECHANICAL broadheads because you could tune the arrows with fixed blades.

live2Draw 10-02-2009 06:01 PM

You know what, I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that Carbon arrows are more durable than aluminum ones.
Yup
i said it! And I will stick by it!
Get one of the slim arrows. the eastons, the beemans whatever, they have massivly beefy walls. Not gonna break em.
aluminums split and do that whole gig too. It is your responsibility to check your arrows before the shot!

buck_hunter_87 10-06-2009 06:32 PM

i will agree with "live2draw" take the time to check your arrows regardless of carbon or aluminum its all personal choice

OklaBowhunter 10-08-2009 12:07 AM

Go carbon

1 Attachment(s)
Clean pass through with goldtips. There tough arrows.