Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

going carbon or not

Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default going carbon or not

ok,

I'm shooting fmj's and having no problem, they do what I tell them to do, hit where I want and fly like I want.
But since I crancked up my 60# bowtech 82nd and shot her through the chrono I want to change certain things.
I only got 256 out of her, so I ordered a new string and now I'm concidering going to all carbon arrows to reduce the weight.
My question is how durable are they and how many have shot splintered arrows and got out without bleeding or stitching ?

Frank
Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've no experience with FMJ's so I cant say how much difference there is in durability but all carbons are plenty tough.Only a total moron would risk shooting a splintered arrow.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
I've no experience with FMJ's so I cant say how much difference there is in durability but all carbons are plenty tough.Only a total moron would risk shooting a splintered arrow.
Agree! it takes all of 10 seconds to inspect your arrows before you shoot.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would stay with the FMJ's or ACC's for the fact that they both use an aluminum exterior or interior. I have witnessed far too many hollow carbon arrow failures that have resulted in injury to the shooter. You also may want to check out the Easton XX78 Super Slams. They are a premium aluminum arrow and they weigh less per inch than the FMJ's.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

thx, that the kind of info I was looking for.
I don't want to drop safety issues for the sake of speed.

F.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stayed with aluminum; nothing derogitory with carbon

Always considered myself a part-time archer; full time gun hunter.

Even though I practiced a lot over the years, I was always satisfied with the slower bow and the slower arrow, if that were so.

I knew the back and forth of flething aluminum arrows; shot them accurate; used an inexpensive hacksaw to hand trim the lengths for practice and hunting.

And I'll admit, that cost for the expensive saws, made especially for carbon arrows, depleted any desire to shoot carbon arrows.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Valentine, for a part time archer you have your ducks in a row. Speed in archery has it's place, on the 3-D range. For hunting, I agree with you on a quiet, well tuned bow that's deadly accurate. Many of the products developed today are to quite noisy bows. Had the archer chosen a medium cam with the correct arrow weight, the noise problems would be minimal and there would be no need for MECHANICAL broadheads because you could tune the arrows with fixed blades.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

You know what, I am gonna go out on a limb here and say that Carbon arrows are more durable than aluminum ones.
Yup
i said it! And I will stick by it!
Get one of the slim arrows. the eastons, the beemans whatever, they have massivly beefy walls. Not gonna break em.
aluminums split and do that whole gig too. It is your responsibility to check your arrows before the shot!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Spike

i will agree with "live2draw" take the time to check your arrows regardless of carbon or aluminum its all personal choice
Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Go carbon

Clean pass through with goldtips. There tough arrows.
Attached Thumbnails going carbon or not-600-357.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.