Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

PSE Omen????

Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Talking PSE Omen????

Here recently ive been hearing alot about the new bow out by PSE. do any of you think the bow is as good as the hype thats going around???
Old 09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

It shoots as good as the hype... Its as fast too... The draw is not nice, but im used to it. It draws like you would expect the fastest bow made to draw... IT holds very very well, and shoots well. I have been able to shoot mine very well, and thats all that really matters to me...

I posted a pic in the bowhunting section a few days ago, but it was a 30yd group. I was testing to see the drop from 20-30yds, which is why my arrows arent in the bullseye... A 1" group at 30 yards is good enough for me... This was on my 3rd attempt btw. I wont exaggerate it lol! It did take me 3 honest tries, but I figured a 1" group at 30 with a barely tuned radical speed bow would be well enough to display its accuracy capabilities...
Old 09-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really liked the demo the rep brought by, in fact I was ready to put an order in (as was one of our owners who is a short draw guy) but the production models we got in were disappointing-serving wear issues after a few shots, totally out of spec out of the box, and even at spec, coming up on the short side for speed (best we could get was 343 out of a 29/70/351 gr arrow, small loop and brass nock). Should be into the high 340s/low 350s with that setup. And of course it draws horribly.

Still, super fast, and INCREDIBLY quiet for such a demon.And if you have the form, it will stack the arrows. I would def reccomend shooting one first- don't purchase it sight-unseen.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JeffB
I really liked the demo the rep brought by, in fact I was ready to put an order in (as was one of our owners who is a short draw guy) but the production models we got in were disappointing-serving wear issues after a few shots, totally out of spec out of the box, and even at spec, coming up on the short side for speed (best we could get was 343 out of a 29/70/351 gr arrow, small loop and brass nock). Should be into the high 340s/low 350s with that setup. And of course it draws horribly.

Still, super fast, and INCREDIBLY quiet for such a demon.And if you have the form, it will stack the arrows. I would def reccomend shooting one first- don't purchase it sight-unseen.
Couldnt agree with you more Jeff. It really isnt for the faint of heart, or the weekend warrior. I knew EXACTLY what I was getting myself into when I got mine, and I really do like the bow, but will not blow smoke up anyones arse b/c for one, I dont try and review stuff that way, and two, why would I lol!

When my bow came in the ATA was .25"long. DL was a little less than 3/8 but somewhere near that. REally good for PSE imo. The BH was EXACTLY 5.5" which was a surprise. Reference marks were on etc. Mine hasnt had the serving sep. yet, but i assume it will.

There is another guy that got one and he is a 28" DL. His specs were all exactly the same as mine. Not saying they are perfect, but they were very consistent out of the box as far as that goes. Ive also seen other peoples reviews as well where their BH was on, and the ATA was about 1/4 long.

What kinda tuning issues were yall havin Jeff, just for my own use and to watch out for.

Derek
Old 09-12-2009, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

No tuning issues at all Derek, other than coming up short speed at spec.(an issue we have not had with the Monster series). I will say they will whip a slightly underpsined arrow (chartwise) through the chronograph completely sideways though! Took a bit to work up an appropriate spined arrow at that low weight.

The bows we got in were way out of spec (timing marks) requiring a few to several twists in control & buss cable (as well as to deal with cam lean), and once put within spec- 4 shots the first bow had significant serving wear.. FOUR shots. Another lasted about 12 shots i've heard (wasn't around to see it myself) This is likely a sympton of poor harness/string, but also could be the cam profiles.Not sure yet cos I haven't messed with the bow since and I refuse to draw/chrono the 30" (I like my back and arms thank you very much ) Draw length ran about 3/8" long on ours as well, which for a PSE is pretty darn good!

I still might pick up a Xforce of some sort this coming year, but I'd like to get some more feedback over time on these cams before I put down the cha ching. That new rumored 37" 7.5 brace Xforce is more likely my cup of tea.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JeffB
No tuning issues at all Derek, other than coming up short speed at spec.(an issue we have not had with the Monster series). I will say they will whip a slightly underpsined arrow (chartwise) through the chronograph completely sideways though! Took a bit to work up an appropriate spined arrow at that low weight.

The bows we got in were way out of spec (timing marks) requiring a few to several twists in control & buss cable (as well as to deal with cam lean), and once put within spec- 4 shots the first bow had significant serving wear.. FOUR shots. Another lasted about 12 shots i've heard (wasn't around to see it myself) This is likely a sympton of poor harness/string, but also could be the cam profiles.Not sure yet cos I haven't messed with the bow since and I refuse to draw/chrono the 30" (I like my back and arms thank you very much ) Draw length ran about 3/8" long on ours as well, which for a PSE is pretty darn good!

I still might pick up a Xforce of some sort this coming year, but I'd like to get some more feedback over time on these cams before I put down the cha ching. That new rumored 37" 7.5 brace Xforce is more likely my cup of tea.
Cool. I forgot to add that my cam and his were absolutely perfect as far as lean goes, at static and drawn back.

Im not trying to promote the bow here Just trying to share experiences.

Mine shot 356 right outta the box peep and loop. Not bad imo.

Idk where or why your bows are different than our two that weve gotten in But the other guys serving has started to show through after about 60shots. Ive shot mine about 300 times and there is no significant wear etc.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by drockw
Cool. I forgot to add that my cam and his were absolutely perfect as far as lean goes, at static and drawn back.

Im not trying to promote the bow here Just trying to share experiences.

Mine shot 356 right outta the box peep and loop. Not bad imo.

Idk where or why your bows are different than our two that weve gotten in But the other guys serving has started to show through after about 60shots. Ive shot mine about 300 times and there is no significant wear etc.
This is good to hear Derek. As I said, most likely this is just an issue with poor/inconsistent string/cables- which on a bow with such radical tracking/shape and size as the Omen cams, is a serious hindrance. It's a race car, and having sub-par parts is gonna give you fits/keep it in the garage most of the time fixing things.

For a bow that costs as much as the new UF cammed bows do (nearly a grand in this part of the country where everything is near or at MSRP) , I have little tolerance for such things-especially when you consider much less expensive bows like Diamond come with some of if not THE highest quality "stock" strings on the market. Or Martin's Stone Mountain equipped bows (CAT cams) Even Hoyt's newer FUSE strings and Mathews' Barricuda strings are a huge improvement over past offerings. I've found a great aftermarket builder in John's Customs (Breathn) for extremely reasonable prices, but PSE needs to step it up.

It's so busy lately @ the shop I have little to no time to "tinker" (If I see one more Drenalin, Switchback or SBXT come in that needs a complete overhaul I'm going to crack ), but if I can find some time, I'm going to see if I can get the Omen on the shelf shooting how it should (speed-wise)
Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

look everyone says its a good bow. I am a die hard pse guy and i say it sucks. i have shot it and it is not smooth at all and has way to much hand shock. Its like the mathews monster, it suxz to. but that is just my opinion
Old 09-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by killzonearchery
look everyone says its a good bow. I am a die hard pse guy and i say it sucks. i have shot it and it is not smooth at all and has way to much hand shock. Its like the mathews monster, it suxz to. but that is just my opinion
. Thats why its great that we have sooo many choices! With all of the bow manufacturers it would be nearly impossible to not find at least one that you like.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

I have shot the Omen a few times now, and it is SUPER fast. One thing though this bow is rough, and Killzone comparing it to the Monster is dead on feel the same when shooting rough roll over and alot of vibration in the handle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.