Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Best Penatrating Broadhead? >

Best Penatrating Broadhead?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Best Penatrating Broadhead?

Old 09-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Spike

Default Best Penatrating Broadhead?

What is the best penatrating broadhead on the market fixed or mechinal head??? Needs to be reliable. I shoot a 72# Alpha Max 28" with Muzzy Phantoms 125 grain Beman carbons and can't get a pass through on a mule deer which leads to bad blood trails and thats not a good thing in the back country. Even with good shot placement, can hear ribs breaking just won't pass through therefore less blood. If I can't pass through a Mule Deer It'll never pass through an Elk.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:36 PM
usa
Fork Horn

shuttle T's, killed 2 elk with them and they made a massive bloodtrail, neither bull went 50 yds, don't worry about a pass thru, the right blade will do the job if you do yours
Old 09-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Spike

I use 100 grain, 2-blade Magnus broadheads. Any 2-blade fixed broadhead will give you good penetration, as long as the blades are sharp. You won`t be disappointed.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

check out a you tube clip called steel drum broadhead test this will help you decide which one might have the best penetration. hope this helps. It's a pretty cool video to watch any way you look at it.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you aren't getting pass thru's with that set up, you are either extremely poorly tuned or hitting them in the wrong spot. A trad bow shoot thru em with 45 lb's.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there is something other than broadhead selection if you can't get a pass thru on a mulie with that setup. The muzzy phantoms are great heads. Just an opinion. You may try montecs if you like the phantoms.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by usa
shuttle T's, killed 2 elk with them and they made a massive bloodtrail, neither bull went 50 yds, don't worry about a pass thru, the right blade will do the job if you do yours

my vote as well for the shuttle t
Old 09-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any of the better trad 2 blade heads like Zwickey,Magnus,Grizzly will penetrate best.Always have always will.Most compound shooters shy away from them because you have to sharpen them yourself but it's not hard to learn how to do it well especially with some of the better sharpening tools available these days.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Spike

Not sure. Bow is paper tuned w/ field points also with the current broadheads I'm shooting. The shot was 2" behind the front shoulder and above the heart by about an inch only took out ribs no shoulder bones. Had a different bow last year that did the same thing with the Phantoms. Though it might have been the bow so up graded and same problem. In the past I used Satelitte Titans 100gr and pass through over 20 Whitetails. Only thing thats changed is the broadhead.....
Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, since you are shooting a 2009 alpha max I would say that a whole heck of a lot more has changed other than your satellite braodheads.

I would say that your bow is quite a bit out of tune. If you aren't getting pass thrus with a 72 pound alpha max and phantoms something else is very wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.