HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Sitka Gear ??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/301825-sitka-gear.html)

BvrHunter 08-27-2009 10:45 AM

Sitka Gear ???

Now I know this stuff is expensive!!! Just wondering if any of you out there own or have owned anything from Sitka gear. If so what was it? And was it worth the money??? Looking at getting the Celsius Jacket and Bibs but trying to justify paying the money for them....

Kelly/KY 08-27-2009 11:22 AM

I have the celsius and 90%. I love the stuff. I've hunted colorado, ky and kansas with it. It's light weight and great for mountain hunting imo, but definitely not bad for the cold days on stand. Worth the investment imo.

BvrHunter 08-27-2009 12:00 PM

kelly if you had to choose between the two, which one would you choose. 90% or the Celsius?? I have looked at both. It's not extremly cold here in Va ( low's in the teens ) not sure which one would I get the most use out of??

Kelly/KY 08-27-2009 12:24 PM

I would say your much like KY, so if you want something that will work most of the season then the 90%. There is plenty of room for layering in my opinion. However, I hunted in January when it was in the low 20s and the celsius was the trick. I would say Oct - Mid Dec, the 90% is the way to go.

bow_hunter44 08-27-2009 04:26 PM

I have quite a bit of Sitka Gear. LOVE the stuff. I have everything from the skin out, except the Celsius product so I'm no help there. I picked up a bunch of Sitka Gear for a Mountain Goat hunt. I found it light weight, warm, easy to move in, not to mention that it fits well. Like I said, LOVE the stuff!

5.9cummins 08-27-2009 05:11 PM

I have the Celsius set and it is definitely not a "cold" weather set. I would go a size larger than you would normally wear for tree stand hunting. I have an XL set which i can fit 3-4 layers under if need be. There is not that much insulation but if you layer you wont have a problem.

I'm going to get a 90% set in the not to distant future because I'm going to start doing back country hunts in the Adirondacks again. the stuff runs a little small so if you can try it on before hand it would help I'm 6'0" and 190lbs 34" waist and 43" chest. I would say you want to be at the low end of there calculations in terms of sizing.

pirogue 09-08-2009 08:04 PM

I got several pieces couple years ago: mountain pants, mountain shirt, vest, and 90% jacket. The mountain pants came in even waist sizes. Today, the Ascent pants don't. I tried on the Ascents in Medium and Large and either looked like Pee Wee Herman or a rodeo clown. When the manufacturer builds in suspenders, they may as well say one size fits all. There actually is no shirt in this years line. You go from base layer (core or traverse) to jacket. Can't understand this reasoning. I've looked at the Celsius, and would be surprised if it is ideal for motionless tree stand hunting in cold.

JFergus7 09-10-2009 06:22 AM

The only piece I have is a vest that I picked up at the ATA show this year. So I haven't had a chance to wear it but am looking forward to the cool fall weather moving in so I can try it out! It is super comfortable and quiet so I am sure that I will like it!

elkhuntinut 09-12-2009 02:14 AM

5.9...take a look at the Jetstream Jacket over the 90%..the Jetstream has the Windstopper in it.

I have used Sitka Gear since they came out. I, like mentioned above, have from the skin out. I hunt and live in Northwest PA and hunt alot in the snowbelt region of New York. When layered properly, there isn't much weather you can't hunt in. The most important part to staying warm is layering correctly.

If you have any questions shoot me a PM and I would be more than happy to answer them.

Originally Posted by 5.9cummins (Post 3422203)
I have the Celsius set and it is definitely not a "cold" weather set. I would go a size larger than you would normally wear for tree stand hunting. I have an XL set which i can fit 3-4 layers under if need be. There is not that much insulation but if you layer you wont have a problem.

I'm going to get a 90% set in the not to distant future because I'm going to start doing back country hunts in the Adirondacks again. the stuff runs a little small so if you can try it on before hand it would help I'm 6'0" and 190lbs 34" waist and 43" chest. I would say you want to be at the low end of there calculations in terms of sizing.