Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

the era of bows

Old 09-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JeffB
WHEN we will see a 400 FPS bow? not sure- but no doubt the current crop of extreme speed bows are very shootable considering. Monsters have been selling extremely well, and no complaints about shootability. Most of these guys are not topping them out, but using a hunting setup shooting in the 320s-330s.

Draw cycles are the real issue now-cams like the AVS, Omen cams and some others appeal to a very, very small minority of consumers (and always do). Those cams are for the hardcore of the hardcore. Most guys who walk into a shop could care less- and if they did care, as soon as they draw one, they don't The vast majority are just looking for a solid, accurate, easy drawing and shooting bow that will kill deer @ 20-30 yards. You don't need 330 FPS or extreme cams to do that.Speed is a added side benefit if they get it.

IMO- the industry will repeat itself like it does every 10 years or so- this current speed bow craze will taper off in the next year or two, and we will start to see some softer cams, and higher brace heights while still getting good speeds. In the mid 1990s, the cams were not really all that bad on most of the extreme speed bows- The Martin Fury Cams, HCA Hatchets, and PSE Maxis cams are much nicer drawing than todays counterparts- the real issue then was the super short brace heights coupled with relatively short risers, long limbs 45 degree limb angles and no string suppression devices to curb string oscillation- all that made for a REALLY tough shooting bow. They were the muscle cars of the day- great power, poor handling. we have come a LONG way since that time. These days a 6" brace height Katera,Martin Warthog, or 82nd AB shoots circles around those old bows, not just with the ease of shooting, but they do it with scads less noise, vibration,and recoil.
I have 2 bows with those HCA Hatchets on em. Monsterous!! I would love to put em on something with parallel limbs
Old 09-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MattressMLB
I have been looking at the 2009 line up of bows and I am really kind curious to see what will come out for 2010. I think its been crazy how advanced bows have gottin in the last 5 to 10 years. it makes me wonder if there is really anything else that can be done? Do you guys think that the archery industrey has maybe topped out? or do you think we will see single cam bows shooting in the 375 to 400 range and maybe dual cam or cam and half bows hiting 450 to 500 fps in the next 5yrs?
I was at a local and a pretty good person and he was saying about bowtech bows. He said that there will be many bows produce from them next year. A couple will go as fast and faster as the new matthews but without the shock after you release. So i don't if its true but guess we gotta wait untill 2010.