HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Expandables and Elk (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/301683-expandables-elk.html)

Greenbay 08-25-2009 08:59 PM

Expandables and Elk

What are the opinions of using Expandables for Elk. I am shooting an '09 PSE X-force Dream Season @ 58 lbs shooting a 29 " Maxima Hunter 250 with 100 grain Rocket Sidewinder with a 1 1/2" cut. I am shooting close to 300 fps with a lot of Kinetic energy and in my opinion shooting an expandable should not be an issue....what about you guys???

mez 08-26-2009 09:17 PM

Bad idea on elk. Light arrows and expandable heads are a bad combination for heavy thick boned game.

NJHNTR1 09-07-2009 06:07 AM

Mechs. on Elk

I agree with Mez. Stay away from mechanicals on elk and for that matter big bodied deer. If you want to shoot a fast setup like yours with light arrows, look into a good compact broadhead that's easily tunable. It's all about shot placement and woodsmanship. FYI, most ethical guides I know will not allow or discourage hunters to shoot elk or big bodied deer with mechs. Good luck.

wapitibull375 09-07-2009 06:11 PM

The majority of my hunting for large game is hunting elk. I even guided for a few years. It's just my personal opinion, and I'm not knocking any products at all. I would not hunt and do not hunt elk with anything but a fixed broadhead. There are a lot of good ones out there that fly really well and that really hang in there if you happen to hit a rib or a shoulder bone. It happens to the best shots. A bow of decent poundage, a hunter that can shoot it well, a good arrow, and a scary sharp broadhead, and with "Murphy" in the next county over, you'll have your freezer full in no time.

bigbulls 09-07-2009 06:57 PM

I would not hunt and do not hunt elk with anything but a fixed broadhead. There are a lot of good ones out there that fly really well and that really hang in there if you happen to hit a rib or a shoulder bone. It happens to the best shots. A bow of decent poundage, a hunter that can shoot it well, a good arrow, and a scary sharp broadhead, and with "Murphy" in the next county over, you'll have your freezer full in no time.
What he said.

camelcluch 09-11-2009 12:01 PM

I use them and just watched a buddy hammer an elk with one. Rocky Mt. Gators the way to go.

bowhuntre 09-11-2009 01:38 PM

You might want to look into western states regulation for archery hunting if you plan on huntin out west. With that 29" carbon and 100 gr. head you might not have enough total weight for that arrow to legally hunt in most western states. You would get more kinetic energy with more weight more lose some speed but would make for a faster kill.