Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mathews or Diamond

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mathews or Diamond

I need some advice I am getting back into bowhunting it has been 15 years. I am looking at buying either a Mathews Reezen or Diamond Iceman bow any advice would be greatly appreciated my last bow was a Jennings Unistar so either of these bows would be A huge upgrade thanks chad
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Heard that the Iceman is a bit rough on the draw. I know the Reezen is rougher than other Mathews so with that in mind, you will get about 30fps more out of the Reezen.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to shoot a few different bows before you decide on two brands (maybe you have already). I heard that the Iceman had a rough draw cycle, but I didn't have a problem with it when I shot it (and bought one). I can't post a link to another site, but there is one well know site that tested nine bows including the Iceman and the Reezen, and it validated what I already had figured out.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

i would go to a proshop and shoot everything. thats just me. i like the aftershot on the iceman a bit more, way calmer in the hand. but for that money i would rather have one of the bowtechs or the new NBA bows. Never have been a Mathews nut.
but go to a shop and shoot everything, all the matthews, all the Diamonds.. anything you can get your paws on. willing to bet you will find a bow you like more than either.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

I did not mention it before but I totally agree with the others here. Shoot everything you can. Choose the one that feels good to you. Don't worry about what people say, get what feels good.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

"Shoot as many as you can" is much better guidance than "I heard this-or-that about _____". Each person is (for the most part) geometrically different than the other; after a 15 year layoff, you may or may not still retain some good habits, and some bad. And, of course, today's bows are dramatically different than the bows of 15 years ago.

There are many differences between the Reezen and the IceMan, so it's not really fair to try to compare them "side by side". In their own ways, they're both great bows but once again, the only valuable "greatness" is what is going to suit you the best.

Personally, I think what would make the most sense for someone in your position would be to start coming back to the sport with a used bow (1 to 3 years old) that has at least a 7" brace height and an axle-to-axle dimension of at least 33". [Shoot all the new bows first, to give you an idea as to what suits you best, then shop based on the specifics.] The cost should be about half of the cost of a 2009 model, and this gives you the chance to get reacclimated before plunking down the big bucks (no pun intended). That approach just seems to make the most sense to me: if I buy a 3 year old bow today for $350, I'm sure I can sell it as a 4 year old bow for at least $300 next year, but if I buy a $800 bow this year and don't like it, the best I can probably hope for next year is $600.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my bow last year and I would tell you to get what you like and keep it! I shot my fair share of bows and I picked a diamond. As others have stated......shot a bunch of them and dont get stuck on one brand. I have had a hoyt but I like certain things about my black ice that other bows couldnt provide for my shooting style. Get a list of about five bows you would like to try out and head to your local dealer. If nothing feels right head back home research five more and go back. IMO I find better deals after the season.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot them both... both great bows.. you will find one that feels better in your hand... personally, I prefer the mathews.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advise I have decided on a Browning Illusion kit from Cabelas now I still have the old Jennings Unistar to sell anyone have an idea what it is worth? it has a Quikee quiver sights fall away rest and 6 arrows ?? thanks chad
Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally like the Diamond Black Ice better than the Ice Man and any Mathews. I really do not like the Mathews fat grip, even if you change it out it still is terrible compared to a bow tech grip. Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.