Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

NAP Braxe Broadhead

Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NAP Braxe Broadhead

Has anyone tried this head yet? I can't imagine it being very good, looks like the blades could catch on bones or hair which would really slow it down.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Same thoughts as you. I really can't see any reason to increase the friction and drag on a broadhead but that is exactly what they did here.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

that almost looks like the turkey head that came out a few seasons ago. it was supposed to prevent passthroughs...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good, I'm not the only one who thought that. Just think if that hook caught on a rib that the tip didn't break first, probably stop the arrow like one of those turkey tearors that Aaron posted the pic of. I'm thinking that it's just another attempt to separate us from our money.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

I have killed two deer with these broadheads. It flys great and has great penatration. I shot one deer and hit it in the backbone and one of the blades broke. I shot another deer yesterday and hit it approx. 2inches back and left a nasty entrance and exit wound. the deer ran about 40 yards and couldnt take it no more. The broadhead did pick up some hair but not that much. The broadhead went through both deer I shot even when I hit the backbone. It broke a blade but also the deers backbone. As far as me I will continue to use this broadhead.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JiAnthony315
I have killed two deer with these broadheads. It flys great and has great penatration. I shot one deer and hit it in the backbone and one of the blades broke. I shot another deer yesterday and hit it approx. 2inches back and left a nasty entrance and exit wound. the deer ran about 40 yards and couldnt take it no more. The broadhead did pick up some hair but not that much. The broadhead went through both deer I shot even when I hit the backbone. It broke a blade but also the deers backbone. As far as me I will continue to use this broadhead.
So in other words, it showed no benefits over a quality conventional broadhead that doen't pick up hair or break blades on bone hits.

Last edited by Snood Slapper; 11-12-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Spike

Smile

I have only shot 4 deer now with a bow and the first two i shot were with the muzzy 4 blade. I shot the first two deer in the same spot that i shot the last deer about 2 inches back and the first two deer i shot ran in excess of 100 yards, in fact one of them ran over 200 yards. the deer i shot with the braxe ran about 45 yards. maybe it has something to do with the wound channel that the braxe leave. I can deal with breaking a blade when I hit a bone because 3 out of 4 deer only one of them hit a bone so in those odds i would rather have a broadhead that is going to leave a nasty wound wherever i hit it instead of a conventional wound where im going to have to track the deer for ever.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JiAnthony315
I have only shot 4 deer now with a bow and the first two i shot were with the muzzy 4 blade. I shot the first two deer in the same spot that i shot the last deer about 2 inches back and the first two deer i shot ran in excess of 100 yards, in fact one of them ran over 200 yards. the deer i shot with the braxe ran about 45 yards. maybe it has something to do with the wound channel that the braxe leave. I can deal with breaking a blade when I hit a bone because 3 out of 4 deer only one of them hit a bone so in those odds i would rather have a broadhead that is going to leave a nasty wound wherever i hit it instead of a conventional wound where im going to have to track the deer for ever.
The Muzzy is a quality head. It is not the broadhead causing long or short recoveries. The problem (or what you think is a problem) is more likely what you perceive to be proper shot placement; evidenced by your statement of hitting the backbone. Proper placement does not always guarantee a short recovery. Many of my heart-shot deer have run 150-200 yrds. It doesn't take long for a deer to run that distance on pure adrenaline. You do not want a head that looses blades for various reasons.

Last edited by Snood Slapper; 11-12-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Spike

Your right muzzy is a quality head, very strong. And as far as proper shot placement, I have not hit a deer yet in the "proper" spot. Most of my shots have been to far back. I cant seem to hit them in the proper spot. Maybe from adrenaline or just becasue im a rookie bow hunter. In reference to the broadhead, muzzy is a for sure and will not break but the new braxe does what they say it will do. it leaves a good wound channel where the deer bleed out faster. Now this is just my observation on one deer. i will see what it does when i shoot another one because im sure i will hit it in the same spot unless i get lucky. Anyway Ill let you know.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

You are absolutely correct I think. Inexperience and adrenaline are very likely. Do let us know how they continue to work for you. Even the best of heads can have a bad day and loose a blade. Let us know if that happens anymore.

Also, just because it is season doesn't mean you shouldn't keep practicing your shots and be more patient on you shot selection. By that I mean wait until the deer turns and gives you the proper shot angle. You won't have to worry about bone as much.

Good luck!!

Last edited by Snood Slapper; 11-12-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.