HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Rage or G5? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/297928-rage-g5.html)

fishintay 07-14-2009 06:38 PM

Rage or G5?

Which broadheads are best for the money rage or G5?

907Alaska 07-14-2009 07:47 PM

Between the 2...I would take the Rages...I seen a recent video that has been circulatiing lately and all I can say is it should have labled "Blood Gusher"...

cartman308 07-14-2009 11:48 PM

Ive shot the G5 Stikers for three years. They are nasty, nasty little heads.

I've heard way to many people complain about the Rage heads, for many different reasons and i certainly do not agree with the way they are marketed.

Go with G5 in my opinion. For mechanicals...... in times past i'd say none, but i'm actually going to try a Grim Reaper this fall.

good luck. both will kill, but you'll never see a Rage across my riser...... (i guess i'm lying. I found one this spring shed hunting. Some clown was shooting them outta his xbow at deer....... You may see a video of me shooting it with about five other heads to compare flight......if i ever get my bow set back up)

pinsapex7 07-15-2009 08:05 AM

RAGE and watch them go down

Antler Eater 07-15-2009 08:15 AM

Both will do the job as far as killing a deer with a well placed shot. No doubt the Rage leaves massive wound channels, I have used them. However what the G5 (Montec) brings to the table is the ability to be resharpened and used multiple times. That is not important to some people but I like it.

DowningAir 07-15-2009 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Antler Eater (Post 3384824)
Both will do the job as far as killing a deer with a well placed shot. No doubt the Rage leaves massive wound channels, I have used them. However what the G5 (Montec) brings to the table is the ability to be resharpened and used multiple times. That is not important to some people but I like it.

I agree with you here. I started out last year with the Rage 2-Blades and ended up finishing with the Montecs. I've been very impressed. They are extremely easy to re-sharpen and do the job very well. The rages are a little too much for me in terms of the damage they cause. Both do the job very well. Just a matter of preference.

crenth 07-15-2009 11:24 AM

I shoot Rage 3-blades and my dad shoots Montacs. We both really like what we shoot. It's just personal preference. I really appreciate the simplicity of the Montacs and would probably shoot them if I didn't shoot the Rage's.

fishintay 07-16-2009 07:22 AM

Thanks for the advice I just bought me some G5 montecs.

dinodonofrio 08-19-2009 05:40 PM

I've tried both and don't like that the rage broadheads open up sometimes walking to the stand or if you bump um. I tried taken off the stock o rings and adding thicker ones and it helped a little but I just like the no hassle of a fixed blade.

live2Draw 08-20-2009 10:35 AM

i like the rages, tehy are a pretty good head. Had an issue with penetration with the montec's.
I think if i was in the market for new heads, i would be shooting the Slicktrick Grizztricks
amazing head! I also like the original Nap heads

ACPOSSETIM 08-20-2009 12:03 PM

Between those I would definitely choose the G5 Montecs, that being said don't overlook the NAP Hellrazors. They are a similar design but are much sharper that the original Montecs. I think G5 has changed the design to a CS (I think) to address the sharpness issue, I have not had a chance to try these yet. I would highly recommend the Hellrazors to anyone. Good Luck!

allmightyhunter13 08-24-2009 07:57 PM

im trying me some rage 2 blade this year..... with what ive seen they destroy!!

switchbackFF10 08-25-2009 07:56 PM

just get spitfires and be done w/ it!!! :devil:

passthru79 08-26-2009 05:32 PM

Ive got two different set ups for deer hunting. I have one short ata bow for hunting out of ground blinds and I will be using G5 montecs with that set up. My other set up is for use out of tree stands, that one will have a quiver full of rage 2 blade heads.

scarp262 08-26-2009 05:58 PM

I have heard allot of great things about the rage broad heads. I haven't heard anything about the G5's although that dosn't mean they are bad. It's all up to if you can trust a mechanical broadhead.

jalvja 08-29-2009 11:18 AM

OK,I've got some Montec G5's and I just can't get them as sharp as I want.Whiles workin an outdoorshow this past winter,I saw some other heads by Montec,they would shave hair right from the pack.Trouble is,In Feb.I'm thinkin bout turkey not deer so I can't remember if it was the Montec G5 CS(carbon instead of stainless steel) or if it was the stryker.Can ya help me out?

cartman308 08-30-2009 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by jalvja (Post 3423666)
OK,I've got some Montec G5's and I just can't get them as sharp as I want.Whiles workin an outdoorshow this past winter,I saw some other heads by Montec,they would shave hair right from the pack.Trouble is,In Feb.I'm thinkin bout turkey not deer so I can't remember if it was the Montec G5 CS(carbon instead of stainless steel) or if it was the stryker.Can ya help me out?

If the blades were removable/replacable they were the Strikers. If they were one piece designs they were the Montecs. Also the Montec CS will hve a duller finish on the areas that aren't sharpened then the stainless/regular Montec. All three are awesome heads. G5 makes a "special" stone that makes sharpening the Montecs a snap!

jalvja 08-30-2009 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by cartman308 (Post 3424186)
If the blades were removable/replacable they were the Strikers. If they were one piece designs they were the Montecs. Also the Montec CS will hve a duller finish on the areas that aren't sharpened then the stainless/regular Montec. All three are awesome heads. G5 makes a "special" stone that makes sharpening the Montecs a snap!

Cartman, That's the problem.I can't remember if they were replacable or not.I have the Montec stone.Maybe I'm too picky.I think they should have a better edge than i'm gettin.Years ago I used the old original bear broadheads(showin my age,lol)without the bleeder blades.I could put an edge on them like i'm lookin for then for the next 20+ yrs I used replaceble blades(wasp and muzzies)used the montec the last 3 years.Most people would call em sharp enough but to me you can't get a broadhead sharp enough.

killzonearchery 08-31-2009 03:36 PM

i like rage, but ive heard g5 are also good

fingerz42 08-31-2009 07:38 PM

did I just read someone say they wont shoot the rages because of how they are marketed?! Are you serious... thats what its come down to these days?

cartman308 09-01-2009 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by fingerz42 (Post 3425970)
did I just read someone say they wont shoot the rages because of how they are marketed?! Are you serious... thats what its come down to these days?

there marketing + performance on animals ON TAPE on MANY hunting DVDs = no use for me

The Drury brothers used them in Hang To Kill DVD. Poor penetration was the NORM on that dvd. Yeah, they killed the animal, but i prefer an entrance and exit hole.

There advertising in genius obviously. Sucks people right in. I personally don't like it. and i personally won't use them because of all the poor reviews and the poor performance ON FILM. Of cousre that's just one mans opinion. I seriously doubt i'm doing any damage to the Rage sales.

If you've used them successfully and like the heads then by all means continue to use them. That's the reason there are so many different heads and different constructions. So people can compare and contrast and decide what they like the best.

Good luck this fall!

4evrhtn 09-01-2009 03:40 AM

I used the Rages for one month, had a bad experience with them and got tired of always having to re-secure the blades in the O-ring. Now I shoot G5 Strikers and wouldn't even consider going back to the Rage. The striker and other fixed blade broadheads are more versatile and reliable- plain simple truth that can't be argued.

paparrucho 09-07-2009 07:05 PM

G5 Strikers all the way. I have used both with good results. But, but, rage will some times open in flight, especially if you take it out of the quiver for a fast shoot. The blades on the rage don’t like quivers (lol), they some times become lose and may pop open in flight. They both kill great, but then the rage can fail, for that reason I stick now to fix blades and there isn’t anything better than the strikers!!.

Ps. In the woods it’s a hassle to be looking constantly to the blades of the rage to see if they are still in good position

drockw 09-07-2009 08:57 PM

Rage. Between me and my best hunting friends, we have quite a few positive results. None of us have lost any deer with them. No blade opening in flight, nor breaking ferules etc... Only a bent blade or 2.
Me
Rage 3 blade
3 kills in 08
Roughly 70#'s of KE
Cody
Rage 3 blade
3 kills in 07
3 kills in 08
1 so far in 09
Roughly 65#'s of KE
Daniel
Rage 2 blade
1 kill in 08
Less than 60#'s ke
Rage 3 blade
2 kills in 09
64#'s KE

I am not promoting the rage... Shoot what you want, and what you like. These are my closest friends in hunting. I picked them up after Cody's success in 07 with them. I loved them and am now using 2 blades.

I wouldnt advise someone shooting the 2 blade with less than 70#'s of KE though b/c of the large cutting diameter. It takes alot to get a pass thru with a huge head like that one!

For all of the "blades open while in the stand" guys. i take little ortho dental rubber bands and put them on the blades in the middle just for extra insurance to keep them from opening in flight. Obviously working pretty well;)

Derek

4evrhtn 09-08-2009 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by drockw (Post 3433317)

For all of the "blades open while in the stand" guys. i take little ortho dental rubber bands and put them on the blades in the middle just for extra insurance to keep them from opening in flight.

Derek

So, now you have 2 rubber bands on each rage broadhead to feel better about their reliability. Umm No thanks, I don't have to fiddle with the strikers in order to gain more confidence in them to do what they are supposed to out of the package.

How does having an extra band on your rage affect it's ability to cut on contact and how is it's penetration?

Just for arguments sake i tried what you suggested while I was typing this. The blades will still pop out of the stock O-ring with ease even with a band in the middle the only difference is now the open blade is less obvious because it is kept close rather than flipping the whole way open which will still result in a poor shot if released from a bow in this position. The theory was good, but the result would still be the same.

drockw 09-08-2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn (Post 3433702)
So, now you have 2 rubber bands on each rage broadhead to feel better about their reliability. Umm No thanks, I don't have to fiddle with the strikers in order to gain more confidence in them to do what they are supposed to out of the package.

How does having an extra band on your rage affect it's ability to cut on contact and how is it's penetration?

Just for arguments sake i tried what you suggested while I was typing this. The blades will still pop out of the stock O-ring with ease even with a band in the middle the only difference is now the open blade is less obvious because it is kept close rather than flipping the whole way open which will still result in a poor shot if released from a bow in this position. The theory was good, but the result would still be the same.

I hope you enjoy your strikers:guiness: I will enjoy my deer on the ground regardless of what head I choose to shoot.

For one, I dont theorize about these situations. If I want to know if something works, I test it. Not "fiddling" on the couch with them and then acting as if I actually experienced the "theorized" results. .

I shot my 2blade setup like this (even w/out the rubber o-ring on at all, and just one rubber band around the blades) at bh targets and animal targets in between 0 and 45yards. Not one of the shots resulted in planing(i.e, blade opening) or not opening upon contact. The blades were FULLY deployed on EVERY SINGLE SHOT that I tested which was AT LEST 20. Even in a soft foam bh target the cut was 2" or greater.

So, regardless of your obvious dislike of the bh, I know from experience what my setup is going to do, and thats all that matters. I would advise anyone else to do the same.

Im just trying to share MY personal tested experience with the forementioned heads. I do not benefit if you use them, nor do I lose anything if you dont and bash them to the grave. That simple:guiness:

Derek

passthru79 09-08-2009 05:27 PM

I always get a kick out of the people who whine and cry about the blades on the rage heads deploying when you stuff them into the foam in their quivers, or hit them on a tree branch. Duh what do you think those blades are designed to do. For those who dont know or cant figure it out, they are called an expandable/mechanical broadhead because the blades deploy when the front edge makes contact with something. I shot the G5 tekans last year, same sort of design as the rage. Every time I nocked an arrow I checked to make sure the blades were locked in place. It becomes habit and those of you who feel this is too much of an inconveniance then by all means shoot a fixed blade. I have two different set ups and shoot fixed blade in one and rages in the other. Regardless of brand or design any of the top broadheads on the market work well if the user is competant enough to know the limitations of his or her equipment. With the quality of todays broadheads its all up to personal preferance. If you do you part and put the arrow in the right spot they will all work fine.

drockw 09-10-2009 11:01 AM

Here is a pic of the head that the rage was designed after. The Rocky Mtn. Sniper. Notice the rubber band placement??? Different than the Rage. The Rage has the oring in the back yes. The Sniper doesnt. I put my rubber band on the Rage like this, and have the oring as well. Nice double security and it has yet to fail me...

http://www.rockymtbroadheads.com/broadhead_snyper.html

Derek

SIXORBETTER 10-04-2009 05:19 AM

niether. rage have some i repeat some crappy reviews.i need to count on deploynment g5 come dull. wouldnt cut the hair on my arm right out of the box. also had to move my nock to tune the broadheads.do some more research.if u r dead set on the 2 id get the g5 and a good sharpening stone. if u want ill sell u mine cheap.3 g5 new in the box

NEOhioHunter 10-06-2009 08:51 PM

Any broadhead on the market will do the job if we were able to get a double-lung shot 100% of the time, but unfortunately we don't. It all comes down to personal choice and trying out different broadheads. I would definitely hit the range with some of your buddies and try out their broadheads before buying new as the prices are quite steep nowadays. I can say that I bought the Rage 3-blade heads last year, and luckily for me I never had a shot opportunity all season because when I practiced with those heads this year, they trailed off 4" left consistently at 20 yards. I then switched back to my old standby, the original NAP Spitfire heads with the pointed tip and no o-ring blades. Needless to say I shot a doe on opening day and that arrow when through and through.

NEOhioHunter 10-06-2009 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by switchbackFF10 (Post 3419873)
just get spitfires and be done w/ it!!! :devil:

Ohh yeaaa. Simple, maintenance free, replaceable blades, no o-rings, what else could you ask for??

CamoCop 10-06-2009 09:43 PM

i just took my first deer with a bow using Rage heads. all i can say is awsome! i was shooting the 3 blade and it left a huge entrance and exit hole(s). yes that's plural. my arrow went in right behind the front shoulder and exited through the opposite side rib cage. then the arrow entered the deer's rear ham, breaking the rear leg, and exiting the ham....sticking into the dirt. the only damage to the head was one of the blades was slightly bent. it held together and penetrated great. i will continue using these heads.

vERN 10-21-2009 04:23 PM

At 82 I finally had to go to a crossbow and thinking of trying the Rage, but after looking at the posts I can see trouble with that. I have used the old G5's, but like a lot of others was not satisfied on how sharp I couldn't get them. The new CS ones should take care of that. They flew really good. Have Slick Tricks on the bolts now.

deernmusky 10-23-2009 06:42 AM

I have been shooting mechanical Broadheads for prolbably 8 to 10 years now. I started shooting Wasp Jackhammer's and had good luck with them on does but on bigger size bucks I didnt get the penatration I wanted. I switched to the Rage 2-Blade 3 years ago and I think I will be sticking with the Rage now. I have been very impressed the the Rage. I have shot about 10 does with them and all have went down within 50 yards, but those 10 does were also hit pretty good Double Lung or Heart). The real test was a few weeks ago I shot a Buck that was about 230 Pounds. The Rage blew threw the front 2 shoulders and man - o - man did it put a hole in both sides. I have been pretty lucky with all of the shots I hve been putting down on these deer, but I have had absolutely No Complaints with the Rage. One thing I Could see is they might be a prolblem stalking through thick brush. But pretty much all the hunting I do is out of a tree....

kb777 10-26-2009 04:54 PM

This past friday was my 1st kill with the bow and i was using THE RAGE 2. Man that doe ran no more then 35yards min. Double lunged but missed the heart, she still went down fast. I stand by rage 2 WOW thats all i can say

Goose 11 10-26-2009 05:11 PM

My brother and I both have had deer jump the string while using the G5 Montecs, we think they can hear them coming. We sure can hear em in flight!

Anyone else???

bowkiller95 11-10-2009 11:51 AM

there i a 180 inch. deer in my garage right now that had a g5 hellrazor kill him in twenty feet.

nwtrykon87 11-11-2009 03:34 PM

i used the rage 3 blade.. shot an 8 point at 33 yard.. didnt get complete passthrough cause i hit off side shoulder.. but entrance hole looked like you throw a soft ball into him.. got both lungs and literally cut the heart in to.. awesome blood trail.. would highly recommend these if you shoot with alot of kenetic energy.. i have friends who shoot these heads with short draw lengths.. under 26 and they have had problems.. i shot a 29.5 draw and have had nothing but praise to say about these heads... just remember these heads are designed to be shot by bows that throw out alot of kinetic energy.. so if you think you dont have the energy go with a good fixed like the g5 or the hell razor