Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rage or G5?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
did I just read someone say they wont shoot the rages because of how they are marketed?! Are you serious... thats what its come down to these days?
there marketing + performance on animals ON TAPE on MANY hunting DVDs = no use for me

The Drury brothers used them in Hang To Kill DVD. Poor penetration was the NORM on that dvd. Yeah, they killed the animal, but i prefer an entrance and exit hole.

There advertising in genius obviously. Sucks people right in. I personally don't like it. and i personally won't use them because of all the poor reviews and the poor performance ON FILM. Of cousre that's just one mans opinion. I seriously doubt i'm doing any damage to the Rage sales.

If you've used them successfully and like the heads then by all means continue to use them. That's the reason there are so many different heads and different constructions. So people can compare and contrast and decide what they like the best.

Good luck this fall!

Last edited by cartman308; 09-01-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

I used the Rages for one month, had a bad experience with them and got tired of always having to re-secure the blades in the O-ring. Now I shoot G5 Strikers and wouldn't even consider going back to the Rage. The striker and other fixed blade broadheads are more versatile and reliable- plain simple truth that can't be argued.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Spike

G5 Strikers all the way. I have used both with good results. But, but, rage will some times open in flight, especially if you take it out of the quiver for a fast shoot. The blades on the rage don’t like quivers (lol), they some times become lose and may pop open in flight. They both kill great, but then the rage can fail, for that reason I stick now to fix blades and there isn’t anything better than the strikers!!.

Ps. In the woods it’s a hassle to be looking constantly to the blades of the rage to see if they are still in good position
Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rage. Between me and my best hunting friends, we have quite a few positive results. None of us have lost any deer with them. No blade opening in flight, nor breaking ferules etc... Only a bent blade or 2.
Me
Rage 3 blade
3 kills in 08
Roughly 70#'s of KE
Cody
Rage 3 blade
3 kills in 07
3 kills in 08
1 so far in 09
Roughly 65#'s of KE
Daniel
Rage 2 blade
1 kill in 08
Less than 60#'s ke
Rage 3 blade
2 kills in 09
64#'s KE

I am not promoting the rage... Shoot what you want, and what you like. These are my closest friends in hunting. I picked them up after Cody's success in 07 with them. I loved them and am now using 2 blades.

I wouldnt advise someone shooting the 2 blade with less than 70#'s of KE though b/c of the large cutting diameter. It takes alot to get a pass thru with a huge head like that one!

For all of the "blades open while in the stand" guys. i take little ortho dental rubber bands and put them on the blades in the middle just for extra insurance to keep them from opening in flight. Obviously working pretty well

Derek
Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by drockw

For all of the "blades open while in the stand" guys. i take little ortho dental rubber bands and put them on the blades in the middle just for extra insurance to keep them from opening in flight.

Derek
So, now you have 2 rubber bands on each rage broadhead to feel better about their reliability. Umm No thanks, I don't have to fiddle with the strikers in order to gain more confidence in them to do what they are supposed to out of the package.

How does having an extra band on your rage affect it's ability to cut on contact and how is it's penetration?

Just for arguments sake i tried what you suggested while I was typing this. The blades will still pop out of the stock O-ring with ease even with a band in the middle the only difference is now the open blade is less obvious because it is kept close rather than flipping the whole way open which will still result in a poor shot if released from a bow in this position. The theory was good, but the result would still be the same.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
So, now you have 2 rubber bands on each rage broadhead to feel better about their reliability. Umm No thanks, I don't have to fiddle with the strikers in order to gain more confidence in them to do what they are supposed to out of the package.

How does having an extra band on your rage affect it's ability to cut on contact and how is it's penetration?

Just for arguments sake i tried what you suggested while I was typing this. The blades will still pop out of the stock O-ring with ease even with a band in the middle the only difference is now the open blade is less obvious because it is kept close rather than flipping the whole way open which will still result in a poor shot if released from a bow in this position. The theory was good, but the result would still be the same.
I hope you enjoy your strikers I will enjoy my deer on the ground regardless of what head I choose to shoot.

For one, I dont theorize about these situations. If I want to know if something works, I test it. Not "fiddling" on the couch with them and then acting as if I actually experienced the "theorized" results. .

I shot my 2blade setup like this (even w/out the rubber o-ring on at all, and just one rubber band around the blades) at bh targets and animal targets in between 0 and 45yards. Not one of the shots resulted in planing(i.e, blade opening) or not opening upon contact. The blades were FULLY deployed on EVERY SINGLE SHOT that I tested which was AT LEST 20. Even in a soft foam bh target the cut was 2" or greater.

So, regardless of your obvious dislike of the bh, I know from experience what my setup is going to do, and thats all that matters. I would advise anyone else to do the same.

Im just trying to share MY personal tested experience with the forementioned heads. I do not benefit if you use them, nor do I lose anything if you dont and bash them to the grave. That simple

Derek
Old 09-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always get a kick out of the people who whine and cry about the blades on the rage heads deploying when you stuff them into the foam in their quivers, or hit them on a tree branch. Duh what do you think those blades are designed to do. For those who dont know or cant figure it out, they are called an expandable/mechanical broadhead because the blades deploy when the front edge makes contact with something. I shot the G5 tekans last year, same sort of design as the rage. Every time I nocked an arrow I checked to make sure the blades were locked in place. It becomes habit and those of you who feel this is too much of an inconveniance then by all means shoot a fixed blade. I have two different set ups and shoot fixed blade in one and rages in the other. Regardless of brand or design any of the top broadheads on the market work well if the user is competant enough to know the limitations of his or her equipment. With the quality of todays broadheads its all up to personal preferance. If you do you part and put the arrow in the right spot they will all work fine.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a pic of the head that the rage was designed after. The Rocky Mtn. Sniper. Notice the rubber band placement??? Different than the Rage. The Rage has the oring in the back yes. The Sniper doesnt. I put my rubber band on the Rage like this, and have the oring as well. Nice double security and it has yet to fail me...

http://www.rockymtbroadheads.com/broadhead_snyper.html

Derek
Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Spike

niether. rage have some i repeat some crappy reviews.i need to count on deploynment g5 come dull. wouldnt cut the hair on my arm right out of the box. also had to move my nock to tune the broadheads.do some more research.if u r dead set on the 2 id get the g5 and a good sharpening stone. if u want ill sell u mine cheap.3 g5 new in the box
Old 10-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Spike

Any broadhead on the market will do the job if we were able to get a double-lung shot 100% of the time, but unfortunately we don't. It all comes down to personal choice and trying out different broadheads. I would definitely hit the range with some of your buddies and try out their broadheads before buying new as the prices are quite steep nowadays. I can say that I bought the Rage 3-blade heads last year, and luckily for me I never had a shot opportunity all season because when I practiced with those heads this year, they trailed off 4" left consistently at 20 yards. I then switched back to my old standby, the original NAP Spitfire heads with the pointed tip and no o-ring blades. Needless to say I shot a doe on opening day and that arrow when through and through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.