Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

broadheads

Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Spike

Default RE: broadheads

thanks for your suggestions but I think Im going with the rage 2 blade

Old 06-20-2009, 02:41 AM
Typical Buck

do yourself a favor. go tp archerytalk.com, do a search for "rage broadhead", place helmet on head, and read some of the thousands of posts on them.

Personally, Rage is the LAST mechanical head I'd use. Reapers or tekkens have me thinkin. My dad uses the tekkens and they work flawlessly for him.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Spike

I'll take alook..thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are alot of good head out there, what it really boild down to is personal preference, I have shot NAP Spitfire in the past, and the performed flawlessley...never had one failure...but in doing some research I have discovered some mechanicals as well as fixed that do one heck of a job also...
For mechanicals this year I am going to try InnerlocsEXP Series 100gr....and for Fixed I will be going with the Innerlocs 100's & 125's Carbon Tuner BH's... I have put these to the test on targets...
I will let you know in awhile what they do on flesh...
Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

i think your going to be happy with the rage heads. i use them and, at least for me, fly IDENTICAL to field points out to 30.they probly will past that, i just havent tested them at that range yet. the only down side is how much lighter your wallet is after you buy them. at 40 bux for 3 heads and a practice head theyare anything butcheep.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 AM

I shoot the exact bow as you the Katera using the same draw weight 65 lbs. I shot the 2 blade rage last year and they worked perfect. 100 grains all shots flew true and everything I hit had a passthrough. That includes the 4 1/2 foot cainbreak rattle snake I shot in my neighbors yard last week.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

ORIGINAL: cartman308

If i were going to go mechanical, which will probably be never...........

there's just something about the Grim Reapers. They just look like flying death!!! Who knows, if the Atoms are a bust i may look them up.
They are! I know many don't have faith in mechs, but I have total faith in Grim Reapers. I've only been bowhunting for two years so far - nine shots and nine dead deer close to my tree. Sorry to everyone who hates mechs, but if you get your hands on one and check it out, there's not much way for this broadhead to actually fail you when assembled properly. Don't expect a huge entry wound, but the exit wound is astounding.
I would go with Rage because unlike Reapers you don't have to worry if they are assembled properly and you always get both a huge entrance and exit wound.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Personally I don't know why any one would use a mechanical head at all when there are soooooooo many fixed blade heads that fly just as good and cut just as much, if not more, than mechanicals and generally far out penetrate them. Use a fixed blade head and eleminate one more variable that can go wrong when you don't want it to.

My top choice is the Slick Trick line of broadheads. Been shooting slick trick magnums for about 7 years now and will be shooting the grizz tricks this year for even more cutting ability. Doubt I will ever chamge broadhead companies. There isn't another broadhead that combines all of the atributes of flight, cutting ability, and toughness in a single broadhead like the slick tricks.

Close runners up would be NAP razor caps or hellrazors, G5 montecs or strykers, Magnus stinger 4 blade.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

I tried Mechanicals... too much to worry about.... Will they deploy, is the animal quartering too hard, how is the mesh in my blind going to deflect the arrow.... etc. I now use what works and has worked since the beginning- fixed blade broadheads. I use the G5 striker and love them, and I have no worries when shooting them, I don't have to fiddle with the blades putting them back in their O-ring retainer repeatedly like I have had to with the Rage. I like being able to stalk hunt when necessary with arrow nocked and not worry about what my broadhead bumped against and is it now open- also common with the Rage.

For the record... the Slick Trick is an awesome broadhead, extremely sharp right out of the package.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Personally I don't know why any one would use a mechanical head at all when there are soooooooo many fixed blade heads that fly just as good and cut just as much, if not more, than mechanicals and generally far out penetrate them. Use a fixed blade head and eleminate one more variable that can go wrong when you don't want it to.

My top choice is the Slick Trick line of broadheads. Been shooting slick trick magnums for about 7 years now and will be shooting the grizz tricks this year for even more cutting ability. Doubt I will ever chamge broadhead companies. There isn't another broadhead that combines all of the atributes of flight, cutting ability, and toughness in a single broadhead like the slick tricks.

Close runners up would be NAP razor caps or hellrazors, G5 montecs or strykers, Magnus stinger 4 blade.
I used fixed for almost 20 years and thought the same thing until the Snyper came out from Rocky Mt. After trying this head I was sold on THIS type of mechanical which was rear opening. I shoot Rage now and, with today's bows and their speeds, there is no reason, in my opinion, not to shoot a mechanical. Penetration on whitetails with most of today's bows is not a concern so using a big cutting diameter mechanical like the Rage gives you a larger wound channel for a better blood trail which leads to easier and quicker recoveries.

Quick Reply: broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.