Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Mathews monster....SWEET....... >

Mathews monster....SWEET.......

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mathews monster....SWEET.......

Old 06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mathews monster....SWEET.......

has anyone on here shot the new mathews monster, i went and shot it yesterday, and i have to say what a sweet bow, absolutely no recoil or vibration......it wasn't as smooth on the draw as my diamond, but that comes with the dual cam bows. but man at the time of shot no vibration what so ever. Fast is an understatement with this thing, i shot it at 341 fps with a 400 grain arrow and a hostage pro rest. its diffinately sweet but expensive at $875 for the bare bow
Old 06-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mathews monster....SWEET.......

ORIGINAL: matt6506

has anyone on here shot the new mathews monster, i went and shot it yesterday, and i have to say what a sweet bow, absolutely no recoil or vibration......it wasn't as smooth on the draw as my diamond, but that comes with the dual cam bows. but man at the time of shot no vibration what so ever. Fast is an understatement with this thing, i shot it at 341 fps with a 400 grain arrow and a hostage pro rest. its diffinately sweet but expensive at $875 for the bare bow
That seems a little much. What was the specs on the bow?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

A rifle doesn't cost as much and will be worth a lot more next year. Sorry, but just stating a fact. Bow prices are getting way out of hand, but hey, people say the economy is bad.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know that Mathews makes a high quality bow but IMO the monster and the monster XLR8 is everything I don't want in hunting a bow.

They are extremely top heavy,
They have very short brace height that necessitates a string stop to keep the string out of your arm and/or clothes while hunting and practicing,
Though not as bad as some other speed bows the draw is very agressive and the valley very short,
The extreme reflexed riser makes the bow very unstable and very torquable (this would apply to the reezens as well).
Old 06-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I know that Mathews makes a high quality bow but IMO the monster and the monster XLR8 is everything I don't want in hunting a bow.

They have very short brace height that necessitates a string stop to keep the string out of your arm and/or clothes while hunting and practicing,
Though not as bad as some other speed bows the draw is very agressive and the valley very short,
The extreme reflexed riser makes the bow very unstable and very torquable (this would apply to the reezens as well).
I (as well as MOST of the Mathews guys I know) feel exactly the SAME way as you do. The Monster is about as far from a "sweet" bow as anything I've ever seen. It's a Monster alright. It's a different bow from Mathews and one that I hope we don't see much more of in the future.

My vote for the best hunting rig from Mathews is still the DXT.

My vote for best shooting bow rig of the YEAR..... goes to the BowTech Admiral. That thing is simply amazing to shoot and would serve as an awesome example to all the other companies of what a super "sweet" feeling bow should be. WOW, that hurt my Mathews butt to even say that! [&:]
Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I (as well as MOST of the Mathews guys I know) feel exactly the SAME way as you do. The Monster is about as far from a "sweet" bow as anything I've ever seen. It's a Monster alright. It's a different bow from Mathews and one that I hope we don't see much more of in the future.

My vote for the best hunting rig from Mathews is still the DXT.

My vote for best shooting bow rig of the YEAR..... goes to the BowTech Admiral. That thing is simply amazing to shoot and would serve as an awesome example to all the other companies of what a super "sweet" feeling bow should be. WOW, that hurt my Mathews butt to even say that! [&:]
I agree except that I would pick slightly different bows than you did but very close though. I'd vote for the switchback XT as being Mathews best hunting bow to date and would vote for the Captain from Bowtech as all around hunting bow of the year.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

I shot "The Monster" when my local shop received their demo back in early March. It's a nice bow, but not for me. Short brace heights don't suit me.

Nor do $900 price tags. Of course, a hat is included.....

This shop sells A LOT of Mathews bows, even in this "depressed" economy. They've sold quite a few Reezons - but not a single Monster.

They've sold a few PSE X-Force Omens, though. I don't know if the X-Force comes with a hat, though.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too shot one at my local shop. And I must say, I think it is absolutely horrible. I have shot some great matthews bows in the past. The Monster is not one of them. I think the should have named it the " Worst bow ever "
Old 06-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll stick w/ my Switchback XT!!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Gotta say since I have been back, i am not to impressed with alot of the new speed bows. Bowtechs are loud when the cams roll over, not something I need radar ears hearing when I am drawing back on him. Also the new Monster doesn't feel so stable to me. It does not sit in the hand well for me, but that is me. I will say if you want a speed bow, go for it as long as you like the feel and you can shoot it well. If you haven't yet checked out the ELite GT500, try it out before you buy the Monster. I don't own one but between the GT500 and the Hoyt Alpha Max 35, I would be lost in the woods.

I currently own a 08' Ross Cardiac 31. I feel as though I don't shoot it as well as my old 37" Darton. I shot the GT500 and the Alpha Max 35. The hoyt is extremely quiet. The Elite only a little quieter then the Bowtech, but in my opinion smoother. And that is coming from my shooting a single cam the last few months. To each his/her own. My wife loves her PSE Madness, if you want smooth try that, at 65lbs it is incredibly smooth. Well, good luck!

Justin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.