Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Mathews monster....SWEET....... >

Mathews monster....SWEET.......

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mathews monster....SWEET.......

Old 06-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mathews monster....SWEET.......

From what i'm reading on alot of places, mathews totaly screwed up their bows this year. The Reezen and Monster (monster especially) are getting trashed by most who've shot them. the Reezens have more fans, but nothing like the switchback, outback, and dxts. I haven't shot either, don't plan on shooting any other bow until i'm ready to buy a new one. But this REALY suprises me from Mathews. You know they missed the mark when even mathews fanboys are saying they are no good. In fairness though, i never thought Mathews would even attempt a dual cam bow.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Fork Horn

From the first time I picked up the monster, I told the bow shop owner that I did not like its feeling. Shot it and it confirmed my first impression. I will stay with my Switchback XT and hope that the company re-directs it vision for the future before I decide to ever buy another bow from Mathews. I really like the performance and feel of my XT
Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the Mission ,Journey. I took it out to the 3-D range for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I had turned the poundage down a little and forgotten about it. My first 5 shots were 0's. That said: I still got really close to my best score with my old Pearson Spoiler. It was the second best score I have ever gotten. You take that bow and add an STS kit to it and it is a great hunting bow. Quiet, stable, and forgiving. I will vote for my bow based on lack of experience with anythingelse. When I bought my first bow,they held up a Drenalin and told me " If you shoot this , you won't want to shoot anythingelse". I looked at the price tag. I then told them," Then I definitely don't want to shoot it ".
Old 06-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

the mathews dealer told me the same thing about the Switchback. I shot it, and left without the bow.

the right bow for you is such a personal thing. It's hard to recommend a bow for someone, just places to start.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

peoples consistantly overlook APA. great bows, good people, good prices.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I know that Mathews makes a high quality bow but IMO the monster and the monster XLR8 is everything I don't want in hunting a bow.

They are extremely top heavy,
They have very short brace height that necessitates a string stop to keep the string out of your arm and/or clothes while hunting and practicing,
Though not as bad as some other speed bows the draw is very agressive and the valley very short,
The extreme reflexed riser makes the bow very unstable and very torquable (this would apply to the reezens as well).
I (as well as MOST of the Mathews guys I know) feel exactly the SAME way as you do. The Monster is about as far from a "sweet" bow as anything I've ever seen. It's a Monster alright. It's a different bow from Mathews and one that I hope we don't see much more of in the future.

My vote for the best hunting rig from Mathews is still the DXT.

My vote for best shooting bow rig of the YEAR..... goes to the BowTech Admiral. That thing is simply amazing to shoot and would serve as an awesome example to all the other companies of what a super "sweet" feeling bow should be. WOW, that hurt my Mathews butt to even say that! [&:]
[/quo

yea i dont see why everyone is putting so much emphasis on speed... anything close to 300fps is more than fast enough... ive never shot a mathews but ive drawn them, always smooth as silk.. and always more than fast enough with the switchback and dxt... i dont see why they tried to change everything that people love about them in the first place..

but i never thought id see the day when a mathews guy would compliment a bowtech.... hahaha awesome
Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Spike

Hey I have the Monster and love it. It is a new style bow that not to many are hot with because it is different. It looks alot like the PSE X-Force but alot nicer. I am shooting a inch less in my draw then normal which takes out the getting thumbed by your bow string( if you have a correct grip on the bow). With the shorter brase hight you need to decrease draw length. At 29 in. draw at 70# I am at 341 fps. The bow is not top heavy like the guy said. When u shot the bow it likes to fall forward from the top of the bow, which is a good thing due to the help of your follow thru. Top heavy means when u shoot it the top falls back on your face.Bigbulls is incorrect in my opinion on the bow being unstable and very torquable. If you hold the bow with the correct grip you wont torque the bow and the bow is on the heavy side for todays standards but makes it alot more stable and alot quiter for how fast it shoots. I shot the BowTech Admiral and it is a bear to pull back, not saying the Monster is not but it is smoother then the BowTech Admiral.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is a new style bow that not to many are hot with because it is different.
It isn't because it is different. It is because it is everything that a hunting bow should not be. I am glad that you like yours but believe me it's not just because it's different. I actually don't see it as very different at all other than the fact that Mathews made a dual cam bow. It really looks like several bows already in production.

With the shorter brase hight you need to decrease draw length.
Only if you have been shooting a bow with too long of a draw length to begin with. Too short of a DL, while not as bad as it being too long, forces you to put pressure on the side of the grip instead of the center where it should be and when you release the arrow your body springs apart. Your bow arm (RH shooter) springs to the left and causes inconsistancies in your left and right accuracy.

Bigbulls is incorrect in my opinion on the bow being unstable and very torquable.
Being as that I am at home right now I do not have one to measure but if my memory serves me correctly the reflex in the riser is about 4.75 inches. Couple that with a brace height of less than 7 inches, most of the risers weight being well foward of the bows grip adds up to make an extremely unstable bow and very easy to torque with even the best of form. Which we all know that we do not have while sitting 20 feet up in a treestand shooting at a buck behind us while it is 20 degrees outside and all bundled up in warm clothes.

As for the admiral. I do not have one in front of me to measure but I do have my captain. The captain has a riser that has 3/4 of an inch of deflex, a brace height of just over 7 inches and the vast majority of the risers weight being in line with (centered above and below) the bows grip makes for an extremely stable and very forgiving bow.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

Well i through a spur into this.....

I recently went out and shot just about every bow that i could get my hands on. Some bows are smooth, some fast, some more quiet and some without as much vibration. Shoot them all and pick for yourself.

I personally love all the bashing the Monster gets. I personally thought it was the best Bow for me, so i bought one. I absolutley love it! But it fits me. I am bigger stronger guy, i like the harder draw. I used to shoot single cams for years and i had issues not noticing the creep cause it was too smooth. I like the speed advantage it offers, its really smooth and quiet and vibration is minimal.

I love that most of the bashing i read online is from guys who heard something from guys, or whatever(not saying in this forum, but others). Go shoot the bow, and not just once! I tried everything from the PSE and Hoyt Line up, Bowtech (admiral/Captain) Mathews Reezens/Monster, and Elite. I liked them all to a certain extent.. I thought the PSE's were nice but it didnt fit me well, the Hoyts were the same way. I thought Admiral was a great bow and i thought the Elite's both of them were awesome. I will admit i wasnt all that into the Reezen. It came down to Four bows for me to pick from, the Elite Z28, Admiral, X-Force and Monster. All about the same price, i dont know where people are gettin 800 to 900 for these things, everything was around 720, granted still expensive as hell. the monster is top heavey but at full draw is better balanced then the x-force IMO, also it seemed to have less vibration. With out rambling on about the bows that took weeks to figure out which one i wanted i went with the Monster. I love it, it shoots amazing, better then my XT did, and i love the Kinetic force it offers, the bow with a 400gr goes through my block target at 40 yards, thats important to me when im out west. Even at the shop the guys had mixed reviews, half the shop was shooting the monster the other half didnt like it, all though i did notice, this is just an observation, that the guys that like the 2 cam bows seemed to have the stronger build and didnt mind the hard draw, one guy at the shop didnt like working on the two cams (Monster) because he couldnt even draw them. He perferred the smooth single cam bows like the DXT cause it was easier on him, me personally i work out 4 to 5 days a week, i do extreme fitness, i honestly dont even notice drawing my monster back at 73lbs. My problem with my XTat 73lbs was i couldnt really feel it, so it would creep with out me noticing. I shoot the monster well and love it, people can bash it all they want, i could sit here bash other bows all day, but its not in me. Shot what works for you, the Reason there are so many bows is cause there are that many bow hunters, and their all different. The Monster is the best bow for me, maybe not you. Oh and i sold two other bows that i wasnt using anymore so i only paid like 100 bucks for it, makes life easier.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Spike

Bull I thought you were talking like when you are at full draw type of torque. I agree with you on the torque in the riser.

Quick Reply: Mathews monster....SWEET.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.