Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Mathews monster....SWEET....... >

Mathews monster....SWEET.......

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mathews monster....SWEET.......

Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Smile

I shot the Monster today, along with the Reezen 7.0, DXT, S2, and the Hoyt AlphaMax32. I have always been a Mathews guy, and have been shooting them for 12-13 years; however, I immediately knew after drawing the Monster the first time, it's not the bow for me. It may have one of the worst draw cycles of any bow I've ever pulled back, which really surprised me... I expected much better! But there is no doubt, this bow is FAST!

The Reezen 7.0 is also fast, and overall, I was impressed with it. Although, its faster than the S2--which is basically a Switchback2--its not quite as smooth. I must say that the S2 is a really nice shooting bow. It's not the speed demon of some of the other bows, but it does have a smooth draw, pretty solid wall, its quiet and has very little shock, even with no stabilizer, etc.

Having said all that, I've been a long-time supporter of Mathews bows, so I really hate to say this, but the Hoyt AlphaMax 32 may just be one of the finest bows I've ever shot. In my opinion, it has an incredible draw cycle, which is very smooth, solid wall, and I was more impressed with the feel and overall shooting of this bow than any bow I've ever shot.

I'm in the market for a new bow, and I'm planning to return to the proshop and spend considerable time shooting the Reezen, S2, and AlphaMax, and I plan to put them all through the chronograph before I make a decision.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed that I had to admit that despite all the bells and wistles of the Mathews bows, ie the harmonic dampeners everywhere from the riser to the cams, and cable guard, the Hoyt AlphaMax was still much smoother and seemed to be equally as fast, with the exception of the Monster.

Haven't made up my mind yet, but it just goes to show, you can be loyal to a certain brand, and I have definitely been a loyal Mathews shooter for many years and still think they're one of the best out there, but if you're going to be HONEST AND OBJECTIVE, you have to take time to get these bows in your hand and shoot them enough to see what suits you best!

Honestly, I think Bowtech and Diamond are also fine bows, and the Bowtech is super quiet, but they just feel a little too top heavy to me. Actually, they feel to heavy period, but I doubt you will find a bow that shoots anymore QUIET than a Bowtech, so again, it's personal preference.

Anyway, I was excited to finally get an opportunity to shoot all the Mathews, which of course is what I was planning on buying, but the Hoyt may have thrown a wrench into that gameplan!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

No offense to u mathews shooters, but is it just me or is mathews more hyped up than anything. i have shot them in the past and just don't think they're all that special. am i missing something?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

the alien -x is faster and smoother and in my opinion a better bow aii around.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Hey I haven't shot the monster. But worked at the IBO shoot in nelsonville last weekend and there was a guy that was at least 60 years old or more shooting an 80 pound monster xl8. Yes I said 80 pounds, he was shooting a 400 grain arrow and it went threw the graph at 361. He shot this bow in this shoot and he is a pro mind u but he ended up winning his class shooting a 425 out of 440. Thats only missing the 11 ring 15 times on targets out to 50 yards plus. Have to say I was impressed with his shooting. Not saying I am gonna run out and buy one now but man that was pretty cool.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Spike

i have a monster and love it. I am getting 300 fps pulling 60# and 27 in draw with a 330 gr arrow.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Spike

I had a hoyt am32 and love the monster a lot more. THe am is a great bow but the monsters valley is a lot deeper. For those you "hate" the monster did you think of backing the poundage down? Shooting a 70# monster is not a joy but you can get 70# bow speeds out of a 55# monster. Thats the joy for me. ANy bow at the lower speeds are a lot smoother. Try it. Youll see.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Spike

Default Nice bow

Originally Posted by matt6506
has anyone on here shot the new mathews monster, i went and shot it yesterday, and i have to say what a sweet bow, absolutely no recoil or vibration......it wasn't as smooth on the draw as my diamond, but that comes with the dual cam bows. but man at the time of shot no vibration what so ever. Fast is an understatement with this thing, i shot it at 341 fps with a 400 grain arrow and a hostage pro rest. its diffinately sweet but expensive at $875 for the bare bow
Nice bow, it does have a notable hump closer to the end of the draw cycle - but it's not a big deal anyway.