Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rage 40KE

Old 05-27-2009, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rage 40KE

ORIGINAL: cartman308

ORIGINAL: drockw

I'm no engineer, don't even play one on TV. This is merely my thoughts and not meant to bash anyone's selections of broadheads. I don't like mechanicals, even in high poundage, high KE, fast bows. The require energy to deploy the blades. Energy that I would rather ust to push the arrow through the deer.

Me personally, I'd use a head like a stiker or slicktrick for a lower KE bow. Or even a two blade like magnus stingers.

that's just me and my irrational thoughts though. I have many of them
I do respect that you state your opinion elegantly unlike some on the forumsbut i have to disagree about the whole ke thing. The bows that do have a high amount of momentume and ke say... 80#'s with a 400gr. arrow. That is litterally about twice as much energy that is needed to kill a white tail. I DONT disagree tho, that usiing a 2" rage 2 blade out of a bow only producing around55#'s of KE is a good thing either. We see too often on here that people just dont get the pass thrus with them. Which is why i always recommend the 3 blade

Different strokes for different folks!

Derek
I try not to ruffle any feathers.......normally.

Another reason I shy away from mechanicals is my luck. I have to eliminate as many things that could fail as i can. Murphy is not very kind to me.....
Yeah i definately get where your coming from. I just had tho opposite experience with them, and so far they have been great, so i wont stop using them until my luck catches up with me lol! hopefully it wont, but who ever knows...

Derek
Old 05-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

I use rage two blade expandables and they blow right through a deer with a 55 lb bow . Rage is definatly the BEST broadheads
Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

I don't care for the Rage broadheads at all. They always seem to come lose in the quiver, and it seems like I was always fidgeting with them to make sure they were seated while on the rest. I even went and bought different O rings like some people have suggested. I can’t advise spending $40 + $3 dollars for O rings for these broadheads. The fact that I did not get a pass through shot on a broadside buck last year doesn’t make a great case for them either. I will never buy them again and strongly recommend against using them. In my opinion, they are all the rage because of the zillions of dollars they spend on advertising, which is why they are $40. For $25 you can't go wrong with the Slick Trick Magnums, which are arguably one of the sharpest broadheads on the market, leave ridiculous blood trails, fly like field points, never fail, and do not have O ring or mechanics.

Over 20 years bow hunting. Over 40 deer taken with the bow.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

O.K. I am going to get hammered for this but I will write it anyway. I will never shoot a Rage bh. at an animal. These are the facts as I found them. I shot Rockymntn. Snyper xp3. I was having a hard time finding them so I thought I would try the Rage heads. Right out of the package, I didn't like the blade locking system. I decided to do a little test. I took one of my old XP3 broadheads and a Rageto see which one opened easier. I started with the Rage. I was stabbing it into a cardboard box. My goal was to apply enough force to get the head to open but not pass through. I stabbed at the box 4 times before it opened. Each time I would increase the force I was using. It finally opened and stuck half way into the box. I then switched to the Snyper. I tried to use the same amount of force that opened the Rage head. I nearly broke the tip of the head off of it. It passed through the box and struck the concrete floor of my garage. Now ,for the sceptics: I know this wasn't very scientific. I know there is a better way to figure this out. I also know I didn't like what I saw in those heads. Personally, I won't use Rage heads. I am more concerned with penetration than cutting diameter. Just my honest opinion. Flame away I can take it.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Typical Buck

I won't flame you. IIRC the Drury's use Rage heads. Ever seen their Hang To Kill DVD? The one with the Heartattack buck? they shot lots of deer with archery, and didn't get very many pass throughs. I'll have to watch it again to see if they were infact using Rage heads. Didn't instill confedence in there equipment.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

I won't flame you. IIRC the Drury's use Rage heads. Ever seen their Hang To Kill DVD? The one with the Heartattack buck? they shot lots of deer with archery, and didn't get very many pass throughs. I'll have to watch it again to see if they were infact using Rage heads. Didn't instill confedence in there equipment.

Part of the advertising campain of these products is to get the well known people to use them. These people are getting paid to use these products. One thing you won't see on the shows are the equipment blunders.

This is why I come to forums such as this. I like to think that we are getting honest opinions of people who are not getting paid to advertise their products. People who share their experiences with these products. It's a good way to sort out the good from the bad.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Moebedda

Part of the advertising campain of these products is to get the well known people to use them. These people are getting paid to use these products. One thing you won't see on the shows are the equipment blunders.
What I've seem to notice is that if they aren't specifically sponsored to use a particular broadhead, they seem to take great pains to not let you see which broadhead they are actually using. I think that they do this so that they won't have potential sponsors turned away by the blatant use of a competitors product.