Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

All these short bows!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All these short bows!!!

Good post Bruce. One thing I didn't see you mention for comparison is riser geometry. How did this factor in for you? I'm asking about reflex vs deflex.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Spike

I guess it depends what you want you bow to do if just shoot paper or foam animals a longer ata will be a little more stable past 40 yards. I my self have been shooting bows that are in the 32 to 33 ata. but all I do is hunt and when i do shoot foam or paper nobody is keeping score but I know I can kill an animal at 50 yards or alittle more If I get presented with the right opprtunity. with the way they are building bows today and the amount of technogly that goes into them I would not be afraid to go shorter if I were you.JMO. I too just bought a matthews reezan 7.0 that bow is ausome!!! If you like it don't be scared just do it brother!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Good post Bruce. One thing I didn't see you mention for comparison is riser geometry. How did this factor in for you? I'm asking about reflex vs deflex.
All four of the bows I mentioned-- the "Brand D" models "M" and "L", the "Brand E" model "GT" and the "Brand M" model "_ _ XT" all have similar riser configurations: the throat of the grip is behind the limb pocket pivot points, and from what little I know, that makes them all reflex risers.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BruceW63

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

All four of the bows I mentioned-- the "Brand D" models "M" and "L", the "Brand E" model "GT" and the "Brand M" model "_ _ XT" all have similar riser configurations: the throat of the grip is behind the limb pocket pivot points, and from what little I know, that makes them all reflex risers.
Oh yes, that means reflex. From what little you've written here I'd say your knowledge might be limited, but is definitely "spot on".
Old 04-15-2009, 04:06 PM

I like my anker point at 28 inch.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a fairly small guy, 5'8" - with a fairly short draw lenght, 27.5". I upgraded bows a couple of years ago for the first time in about 20 years. The bow I got was a short A to A bow, and I loved it! I had so much fun with the upgrade that I upgraded again, and then again! The latest upgrade is, by chance, a longer A to A bow. I still have the first bow I upgraded to (it was a gift from my wife, selling that bow would be a HUGE political fopah). Oddly enough, over the past couple of nights I have been shooting both bows side by side. The upshot of all that, relative to this post, is that the longer A to A bow is night and day different - in a good way - at full draw from the shorter A to A bow. The longer A to A bow is much more stable, steadier, and easier to aim than the short A to A bow. I don't know enough to say that the A to A difference is the only reason for the observation, but when I upgrade in the future there will be 'long' A to A bows in the 'to be tested' line-up!!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I recently up graded my bow as well, Mine was at least 20 years old and what a difference time makes.. Mine was a large bow and the bow I recently purchased is a large bow as well. Being large is nothing comparde to my last bow. When I went to a shop to get it set up all the bows that they had there wasn't for me.. Way to short IMO the bowI purchased was the Bow TechConstitution that Greg had for sale. I love it and no doubt will enjoy it for at least a few years to come. I put the new Drop Slide arrow rest by Trophy Ridge on it and although i have only shot a few arrows out it as of yet. It appears to be a great shooter..
Old 05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to avoid the newest and the bestest. Plus I'm cheap. For ten years, I shot a 42 inch ata for practice and hunting from a tree stand. From the stand, I learned to adapt.

So then a couple of years ago, looking for a new bow, I find the shorter bows. Talk about short !!! There was no way I was going to invest in a short bow. Even then I had to compromise on a "short" 36 inch ata.

I got a bow for hunting, though I came to enjoy the practice sessions. Now I want to be sure that the bow handles the practice sessions, and isn't just a hunting bow. I'm cheap. I sure do get value out of the bows I bought.