HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   peep sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/289245-peep-sights.html)

bigmster127 03-15-2009 03:46 AM

peep sights

what does evrybody shoot with? the tube or just the peep on the string? i have always used the peep with the tube. i see people using just the one on the string and seems to be a pain as far as getting it straightened. somes times in full draw you have to move it with mouth to get it straight. but some people dont have to do that it works fine. i am thinking about changing. i love the tube no problems at all. but everybody seems to be going with just the one on string. any input would be great.

BGfisher 03-15-2009 07:42 AM

RE: peep sights

A peep without a tube has several advantages. There's no tube to break or be slapping the cable(s) making a bunch of noise and fraying the cables. They are lighter which equates to more speed. Usually you have a wider choice of peep sizes if you're one to bracket your sight guard.

The problems you are concerned about, the peep rotating when drawing, are usually a product of poorly manufactured strings, which is what you get from the factory in most cases.

When strings are made well, they are prestretched and pretwisted, then served. This makes the strands tighter within the bundle and evens out the worklaod each strand is doing, ultimately reducing or eliminating string twisting (peep rotation) as the bow is drawn. Sometimes another side affect is a gain in speed, as much as 10 fps, depending on which materials are used for the string.

Probably one the best reasons to get good strings is that once they have about 50 shots or so through them you can set up your bow and tune it and be relatively certain that peep rotation will be a non-issue. Also the bow will hold it's tune for a much longer time, usually till the strings need replaced.

This is why, as more people get educated to the fact, more are starting to rig their bows with good aftermarket strings. Another biproduct is that a few (not many) manufacturers are starting to make better strings or rig some of their bows with strings from a few custom string makers.

MeanV2 03-17-2009 12:41 PM

G5 Meta peep or Tru-Peep.

No Tubes!:D

Dan

BruceW63 03-17-2009 02:55 PM

G5 Meta Peep for me, too. Well, until recently. I've changed to a Specialty Archery tubeless peep with a verifier lens (wish G5 made them, Dan!) due to failing eyesight.

Never will consider a tubed peep again.

IL-Cornfed 03-18-2009 09:11 AM

G5 Meta peep is my first choice

nybuckboy 03-18-2009 04:59 PM

I don't use a peep... I have used a Timberline Archery No-Peep. Quicker shooting... better in low light and for failing eyes.

Geronimo 03-23-2009 07:37 AM

What about the Venom Peep Sight www.scorpyontechnologies.com/store.html

oldreloader 03-23-2009 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: BruceW63

G5 Meta Peep for me, too. Well, until recently. I've changed to a Specialty Archery tubeless peep with a verifier lens (wish G5 made them, Dan!) due to failing eyesight.

Me too.Old eyes need help. LOL

MeanV2 03-23-2009 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: oldreloader

ORIGINAL: BruceW63

Me too.Old eyes need help. LOL
Yep Old eyes need brighter pins, bigger peeps, and closer shots. LMBO!:D

Dan

sixgunluvr 03-23-2009 09:25 PM

I like the tube and have never had any of the aforementioned problems. Replace every couple of years and no breakage problems either.