Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Which Broadheads Do You Shoot? >

Which Broadheads Do You Shoot?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Which Broadheads Do You Shoot?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which Broadheads Do You Shoot?

Rocket Steelhead 100gr......BONE BREAKER!!! for sure. Have not lost one deer that I have hit. Great and priced under $25 for 3
Old 03-02-2009, 02:48 PM
bigcountry

You guys are nuts for paying more than 5 dollars for a BH. I have used a bunch of em. And have always came back to the old thunder heads. Find em for 30 dollars for 6. Even better is magnus 2 blade. Even cheaper. For the past few years, I have gotten on the expensive super Broadsheads, but finally woke up and saw that I was killing no more deer. A properly tuned bow, and you can shoot most of any em.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

For the last 5 years I've been using InnerLoc. 75 gr most of the time, but occasionally 100 grains.

If I were to see a need to change right now I would get either Muzzy or Slick Tricks based on their construction and blade retention qualities. I'd lean more toward Muzzy simply because they cost about half what the most popular "latest and greatest" heads do and still do the same job.
BG, I respect your opinion, and I also know Muzzy's are a good head. They definitely make my short list of broadheads I'd shoot, but I assure you they are weak compared to the Slick Tricks, and in some cases take more than just a little tuning to get flight to an acceptable level in my eyes

Dan
And I respect your opinion also. We've both been around too long to be swayed by simply popular opinion. I know that Muzzy are not as rugged as Slick Tricks. I was merely pointing out that these heads have a unique way of securing the blades in the ferrule. A lot of heads have baldes supported at the ends of the blades. Without mentioning brands I only want to say that on several occasions I've had blades hit a rib or spine and peel right out of the ferrule. Nothing makes me feel better than gutting a deer knowing there is a blade running loose inside somewhere, if you know what I mean.

Truth is, I have used a lot of different heads over the years. Do you remember Savora, Wasp, Satellite, or Anderson 245 Magnums? I haven't bought more than 2 dozen heads in the last 20 years. No need to. I have what works for me and stick with them. Just buy a good supply of extra blades and keep on keepin on. I'd rather spend the extra money on something I use every day, like maybe some ACC's or my Hogg-It. Broadheads? No more than a half dozen shots a year---ever.

The only aversion I have to getting new heads these days is that, IMO, ther is not a broadhead made worth $10 a pop. There are only people willing to pay that. Of course, the same can be said for $800 bows and $120/doz arrows. In most cases they don't do anything better than equipment costing half the price. There is just the hype and marketing that people are willing to swallow. But these are different matters for another thread someday.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Spike

I have seen some great responses. In addition to a specific broadhead why do you like fixed blade or mechanical better?
Old 03-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

With all the money I spend on Bows, Arrow shafts, sights, stabilizers, camo, Trail CamsTreeStands, etc., etc. I'll hardly worry about a couple of $ on one of the most important pieces of my Bowhunting gear.

If I feel a need to cut expenses somewhere. I'll do it some where that it will really make a difference in my bank account

Dan
Old 03-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

i like the rage 3 blade heads. they fly identicle to my 100 grain points. unfourtunatly i have yet to see how it preformes on a deer. and in responce to kjd_0214's re; i like mechanicals because you dont have to ajust your pins for how the tip effects the arrows flight.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

i'm sure this spark an arguement. but i gave expandables a shot (g5 tekans) and almost lost a buck of a life time. it didnt expand and still didnt give me a blood trail to see in fresh white snow. pretty much shot it with a field point. i took it down with a judo tip. judos are better for deer than tekans. lol. so here on out i promised myself to shoot fixed blades.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

With all the money I spend on Bows, Arrow shafts, sights, stabilizers, camo, Trail CamsTreeStands, etc., etc. I'll hardly worry about a couple of $ on one of the most important pieces of my Bowhunting gear.

If I feel a need to cut expenses somewhere. I'll do it some where that it will really make a difference in my bank account

Dan
Now I would have to agree that I have spent tens of thousands of dollars over the last 3 1/2 decades on archery/bowhunting. Maybe that's why I get so opinionated. I like your other part of the response, too. As far as I'm concerned the arrow and the broadhead are the most important items in bowhunting. It doesn't amtter whether you launch an arrow with a $300 or $800 bow, the bow is just a launching mechanism. Once the arrow leaves the bow it's all up to the arrow to get the head to the animal and the job of the head to slice through vital organs.

I always wonder about one thing on these forums. There are only ever two kinds of broadheads mentioned. Fixed blade and expandables. I would assume that by "fixed" we are saying both one piece heads like the G5 and replaceable blade heads. Is that your assumption?

As to the question about whether I like mechanicals or fixed? I like replaceable blade heads. I always get replacement blades (lots of them) and use the ones with the broadhead package for practice. They last many years because I've just learned from experience how to set my bows up so that it usually takes no more than a few shots to check if they are flying the same as my filed points. As for shooting at game, I can honestly say that for the last 9 years I have hunted nothing but trophy class derr and as such have not shot an animal, there for I haven't shot a broadhead during hunting season. Blades last a long time under such circumstances.

The other reasons I don't shoot mechanicals is that I have muscle problems and am limited to less than 50# these days and trying to shoot animals with mechanicals would just be plain unethical in my mind. That and I'm just hard headed enough about tuning that I WILL get target tips and broadheads to shoot the same. Tune the equipment and make it happen. I consider it a responsiblity---no excuses.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 AM

With enough KE I dont see a real problem with expandables. I shot the 3 blade rage this year. Killed 6 does, had 6 pass throughs and great blood trails. But with that said I am not going to be one of those guys to bash either fixed or mech. I actually plan on using fixed next year, mainly because I like change. I plan on either using the G5 montecs, slick trick of some make or the NAP hellrazor.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:28 AM
bigcountry

No doubt you guys should spend all the money you want to make this hobby/passion enjoyable. But if you can't get the job done because you didn't have a 10 dollar head on, you got other issues.

Quick Reply: Which Broadheads Do You Shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.