Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Limb-Driver or Whammy rest? >

Limb-Driver or Whammy rest?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Limb-Driver or Whammy rest?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Spike

Default Limb-Driver or Whammy rest?

After reading the post below about drop-a-ways and muzzyman88 pointed out some interesting facts about most rests and the cable attatchment of the cord, I think I have narrowed the selection down to these 2. I've got a Mathews Switchback XT on the way and a new rest is in store. Currently I shoot the whisker biscuit and have for 8 years with no problems, I just want to try something new. One question I do have is about the arrow sliding off the rest such as when the bow is lying across my lap while in the stand, I don't want to have to reach up and put the arrow in the rest when game is approaching; I want raise the bow and prepare for the shot...without touching the arrow. Is this an issue with either of these rests? (to me it appears that the limbdriver is the only one with this potential problem?) and lastly, in Lancaster and my local pro shop, they offer the " Limb Saver fall-a-way rest" it doesn't specifically say Limb Driver...are they one in the same or is the limb driver a different rest? Thanks for the input guys.

P.S-I noticed that Trophy Ridge now carries the whisker biscuit, what happened to Carolina Archery? did Trophy Ridge buy them out?

-Kevin
Old 02-25-2009, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Limb-Driver or Whammy rest?

The Whammy is 'not' a full containment rest like the WB. The Octane Hostage Pro is similar to the WB for containment, whereby you can rest the bow onits side without the arrow dropping off the rest.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The limb saver is a different rest than the Limb Driver. The limb saver is made by Sims. Limb Driver by Vapor Trail. The Limb Driver now offers a capture arm that holds the arrow until full draw then releases it as the bow is drawn. Believe it is $8 to get the capture arm.

Shane
Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

I'm in the same boat as you except I've already bought a Limbdriver and installed it. I've shot a TigerTuff AR1000 for about 6-7yrs. and I also decided I wanted to try something new. The TigerTuff is the pre-cursor to nearly every three prong rest on the market today including the Bodoodle zapper, NAP quickshot, catawba which is now the hostage. Life was simpler when I just loaded my arrow and forgot about it. Now I find myself thinking about my rest and what it's doing as I draw my bow. I see it lifting the arrow and notice the control cable going slack as my limbs load and as quiet as i want to think it is my bow is definitely louder and I don't shoot as well with it. I know a lot of this is probably in my head and I will probably get used to it but sometimes I wonder why I don't just leave well enough alone.With all that being said you need to try both rests and decide for yourself but I have a feeling your gonna miss your old whisker biscuit.

Dan
Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

Dan, or MeanV,sells the Limbdriver, MeanVarchery.com.

But have you looked at the QAD Ultra rests ?

F.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say that you are better off using full containment by reading your post. If you cant manage to grab your arrow with your index finger while raising your bow than neither one of these rests are going to do you any good. Stick with the WB...

Shane is right about the LD though. They do have a new containment arm that allows for a full grip on the arrow where it wont move. Havent tried it yet, but i dont really need it so im not sure ill even get one.

Derek

Old 02-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The LD and Whammy are both excellent rests and IMO, the two best out there at this time as far as drop aways go. The new LD prongs do have a capture system built in, but I have yet to see it so I won't comment on it. However, I'm using the Whammy right now and I'm very pleased with its containment. You would have to stand on your headto get the arrow to fall off. But, it is not FULL containment.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies guys. I think Im leaning towards the Whammy at this point. Though I don't do a lot of stalking/still hunting, I do some, and that is where that whisker biscuit shined; but with the 5 year drought either two hunting methods for deer are pointless, unless its raining/wet, yet I still want a small degree of "grip" or "containment."Anotherreason for me wanting to try a different rest was that in the past couple years Ive started using a screw-in bow holder more often as opposed to just resting the bow on my lap or across the treestand, so the risk of arrow falling off of rest isn't as much of aworry; and plus I couldn't help but wonder if the full containment was a minor handicap to my accuracy. Thanks again.

-Kevin
Old 02-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Spike

must say the spot hogg works for me. because the prongs are in the upright position till u actually shoot it takes a lot to get a arrow to fall of the rest. u can tilt it easy to 60 degrees either side with no worries of a arrow coming off. but no its not a full containment rest but it is the nearest thing to it a drop away can be. and also nearly indestructable as well!