Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Need advice about a release >

Need advice about a release

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need advice about a release

Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need advice about a release

I'm looking to buy a new release. I currently shoot with a tru fire patriot and i don't like the style.

I'm looking for a thumb release which i can use being left handed, 360 degree capability (head swivel caliper), no back tension and is good for someone with small hands.

I have been looking at these and was wanting to know everyones opinion on these

http://www.truball.com/ProDiamond.html

http://www.truball.com/ProDiamond_Xtreme.html

Not sure what the differences are with those pro diamond series.

http://www.truball.com/3DThumb.html

http://www.truball.com/ThumbPush.html

http://www.truball.com/LittleBoss.html

Thanks all
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need advice about a release

The difference between the 2 Pro Diamonds is the head. The Extreme is shorter. I just got the Pro Diamond Extreme and I really like it. The other 3 seem to have a different design and I am not sure about them. If I were you I would go to a shop and try the ones you are interested in out and make a decision from there.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trouble is, there are no bow shops near me so that is why i was asking on here

I like the pro diamond series though not sure of which one to buy.

Is it smooth and easy to use? I have small hands.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

I think it's smooth and is very easy to use. The thumb trigger is adjustable both tension wise and position. You can move it up and down depending on where you are comfortable with it. So with that adjustability it should fit you alright. I haven't messed with the tension adjustment at all. I just switched to this release after shooting wrist strap releases for 18 years and so far I am very happy with it. As for which one to buy, sorry I can't help you on that. You will have to decide if you want a shorter head or longer one. I didn't get a chance to try both ProDiamonds out.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

I have both The Pro Diamond, and the Extreme. I will say I like them both, and have shot them both on my hunting bow a lot or the past 5 seasons. The Extreme is a little shorter, but has a beefier handle to it. The standard Pro Diamond has a slightly smaller frame and smaller finger grooves, but a longer neck on it at the caliper. I would venture to say you'll like the feel of the standard version more.

They are smooth, but require some lubrication once in while to keep them that way. Mine see the elemants out in the woods; rain, snow, dirt etc. and I've never had them fail. But they will get gritty from that, and you have to disassemble them, clean them up and lube it before reassembling. Not a bid deal, I do it once before hunting season, and I'm good to go.

I don't know how much you want to spend, or what you're using it for, but this release below is an excellent model, and they build it in a smaller frame. I've used it myself. It's great for target, not sure if I'd hunt with it though.

http://www.ishootastan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id= 15&Itemid=29

I forgot the others you listed............the top one fires with back tension, no trigger.....not good for hunting. The 2nd one, the release fires with depressing the thumb trigger down, while the Pro Diamonds you will pull the trigger back with your thumb. And the 3rd, is also similar to the Pro Diamond, but with a much better trigger assembly. It will load by pushing the silver bar on the back of the release, making a loud "snap" so I would consider it great for target, but no hunting.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree about the stan sx2. the are VERY adjustable.

I have had a couple thumb releases and used many more. If i were you, being that you have small hands, i would look for a release with a more straight handle design so it is easy for you to get your finger around the trigger. Right now im using a Carter Fits Me and im liking it pretty well, but... for your hands i would recommend the Fits Me Too. They are relatively compact so i believe you would have no problem with it.

Pro diamond- My experience with the pd wasnt so great. I have used a couple different ones (not sure which) and they changed my anchor way too much. The head on one of them was soo long that i was having trouble anchoring period b/c i couldnt get locked in. I like the operation of the release and everything like that, but it just seemed to modify my anchor WAY too much. Ive shot other tb releases and have no problems with them. Im considering getting a 360...

Here is the Carter-
http://www.carterenterprises.com/products/fitsme2.htm

Here is the Tru-Ball-
http://www.truball.com/ST360.html

Derek
Old 02-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

I think from what i've been reading the diamond pro probably suits me better. Purely because the caliper is a tad longer and the fact that its not as beefier as the Xtreme.

I'm afraid that the carter releases are a bit over my budget but they look impressive to say the least.

It's between the diamond pro and the t handle thumb push. Though using the thumb push would that be any different/better than the pro?

There is quite a price difference.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

You will be better served with the Talon head instead of the Caliper head

Let me know if you want to try out an Extreme with the talon head.

I'll send you mine to shoot for a couple of weeks.

Just as long as I get it back
Old 02-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Scott'sArchery puts out a great product...check out their release's!!