Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hunting Hoist Review

Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Hoist Review

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

Folks,

Just finished up this review about the Strapper Retriever. Nice product, but a bit noisy. Anyone used one?

I gave it 5 of 10.

Click here for the rest of the review

I just think a rope is better, I guess.
Nope a rope sucks. They get knots in them all the time. I have one of these and keep it attached to my back pack all the time. I do just like Dan and pull the bow up hand over hand and then wind it up. Never had any problems with it at all. It's one of those few things that I use year after year.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dandbuck
i was just making sure it did not make noise when it "reels" in.
Thanks
Now that wouldn't be good!

Dan
Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

I know!! That's what my "other" one does. That and the skinny little cord in it that burns your fingers when you let something down, lol. Basically, it's a dog leash now, not much good for anything else.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dandbuck

I know!! That's what my "other" one does. That and the skinny little cord in it that burns your fingers when you let something down, lol. Basically, it's a dog leash now, not much good for anything else.
I know exactly the one you are talking about![8D]

Dan
Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

I know the one you're talking about too! That thing stinks. I figured I'd try it for $5 on clearance and wish I hadn't spent the money. I just use a couple of boat ties that I drilled into my climber at the front and back on one side of my stand and wrap the rope up on those like a vacuum cleaner cord so it doesn't get tangled and you can keep it out of trees both on the way up and on the way down but just wrapping it around the ties. I also kind of roughed them up in a glass blaster so they weren't all shiny and painted them. Probably more work than was necessary but had the parts and it works great. I didn't need the 2 ties either in hind sight. Only needed one but I thought I might need both so I drilled them both on. The extra one works to hold the back pack though now.

Experience is the name that everyone gives to their mistakes. -Oscar Wilde
Old 02-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I mounted a Boat winch to my stand. It's a little noisey but I can haul anything up the Tree can hold

Dan
Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: RyanATiffany

I know the one you're talking about too! That thing stinks. I figured I'd try it for $5 on clearance and wish I hadn't spent the money. I just use a couple of boat ties that I drilled into my climber at the front and back on one side of my stand and wrap the rope up on those like a vacuum cleaner cord so it doesn't get tangled and you can keep it out of trees both on the way up and on the way down but just wrapping it around the ties. I also kind of roughed them up in a glass blaster so they weren't all shiny and painted them. Probably more work than was necessary but had the parts and it works great. I didn't need the 2 ties either in hind sight. Only needed one but I thought I might need both so I drilled them both on. The extra one works to hold the back pack though now.

Experience is the name that everyone gives to their mistakes. -Oscar Wilde

Sounds like a good idea!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using one for years. Can't see using anything else.

Here is a tip for you guys. Take two zip ties and slide them between the strapper frame and the strap, then around the seat section of your climber somewhere. Doesn't go anywhere, quiet as a mouse and out of the way. I did this a while back and it's the best solution I ever saw. It's "built in" to my climber.