Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Which drop away rest?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which drop away rest?

Glockman, it's not a selling point. It's been proven by many, even myself.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Your telling me that every bow that uses a drop away rest that uses a cord hooked to the cable for lifting the rest is throwing off the timing? And the Limb Driver hooks to the top limb and has no effect on thetiming of that bow. Amazing, show me the proof.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: glockman55

Your telling me that every bow that uses a drop away rest that uses a cord hooked to the cable for lifting the rest is throwing off the timing? And the Limb Driver hooks to the top limb and has no effect on thetiming of that bow. Amazing, show me the proof.
May not be All of them but there are several.

Dan
Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 PM

yes yes tell me more. coincidentally i have a QAD ultra that i planned on throwin on my admiral . Any issues with that ? And if so , besides wear are the octanes performing well otherwise ? are the "whiskers" replaceable?
Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Spike

Muzzyman88, or Dan. So in your opinion does my Muzzy zero effect throw the timing off? What does that exactly do as far as shooting accuracy goes?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys, here is the deal as I have understood it and witnessed personally with my own bows (both binary cams). With a drop away that ties into the down cable. What happens is, the cord attached to the cable gets taught at full draw. Most manufacturers suggest having the rest up at full draw the 1-2 inches of the the draw cycle. What this does is actually pull on the down cable and causes a shortening effect on that cable. Guess what it does to the cam its attached to. It retards the bottom cam.

I believe the limb driver website shows you what happens with the cable pretty clearly, though in their example its a bit extreme of what I've seen personally.

The thing I'm starting to realize more with drop aways is that you want that rest to stay up for as long as it can, then get out of the way to clear your fletching. This is why standard drop aways recommend being up the last couple inches of the draw cycle. The problem is the cable distortion.

The Whammy and the limb driver do not suffer from this effect. They're both not attached to the cables in a manner that applies pressure to them. The Whammy, is connected to the up cable and at full draw, is slack, not applying pressure. The Limb Driver is not attached to the cables at all, but the upper limb and is also slack at full draw.

I know from personally experience that the Whammy really does do as advertised. It stays up the entire time until the very last second. It's then jerked out of the way by the up cable advancing downward. Then it resets itself in the up position. It's so fast, you'll never see it actually happen without video equipment.

I think these two rest in particular are way ahead in drop away technology at this point.

To answer the question about the Zero Effect. This is one rest that I don't see how it can affect timing as well. The slide is free to move naturally on the guard so it shouldn't have any ill effects.

Keep in mind that the effects of the standard drop aways probably is minimal in most cases. What you'll see is a drop in let off. If a bow is 80% and the rest is setup per manufacturer suggestion, you'll likely be only able to obtain around 65% or so without twisting your cable to restore let off. If you'rea tuning feak like myself, you'll tinker with it till its right.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 AM

Sooo if at all possible , it should be avoided ( anything attaching to cables ) ?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say "avoid them". They work fine for the average guy. But, if you're anything like me and have a healthy dose of OCD when it comes to bow tuning and setup, you'll want sway toward the Limb Driver, Whammy or the new Octane Tripwire.

I'd never make a statement saying "oh if you shoot a Trophy Taker, QAD, or any other standard type drop away, you won't get it to perform well". I've shot one on my Allegiance for 3 years and killed many deer and X's. However, once I read and realized what that pull cord was doing to the holding weight of the bow, I started looking into other rest options.

One thing I failed to mention. If you do shoot a standard rest, you can get the timing and let off correct by taking a twist or two out of the bottom cam. This should restore let off to 80%. (THIS IS FOR BINARY CAM BOWS ONLY). I have not shot a single cam in years and don't really know what the effects are.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 AM

MY personal favorite and it's only my opinion , I choose the trophy taker extreme and enjoy the rest I have actually picked up some speed from switching from the Octone hostage Pro( brushes wear out too easy) I am now shooting 309 fps up from 296 with the hostage. my groups are tighter and the rest is very quiet.