Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Looking for a new bow

Old 12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Spike

Default Looking for a new bow

Need some help- I am looking to get a new bow this year and do not have a whole bunch of money to spend. I currently hunt with a Jennings Buckmaster(yeah I know...its old). I have never owned a new bow. Every one that I have used I got from someone else. I have a nice sight set up and new whisker biscuit to put on it. I can only really afford between 400-500 for a bow. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nate
Old 12-29-2008, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Looking for a new bow

Check out Parker bows. Good bows for the money, and you can find one in your price range. Come to think of it, a lot of the manufacturers, including PSE, Bear, Jennings, and Pearson make a bare bow in that price range.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

diamond the rock is a nhice bow, for around 400 for bare bow. the fred bear bows are also a good deal
Old 12-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

go to archery talk classifieds, you can buy almost any oflast years bows new for that price range
Old 12-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

the oldies:bear, PSE,Pearson they are always good for a quality bow for cheaper price.

i got my parker for a steal of a deal and i know Diamond makes some sweet smooth bows but they havnt been time tested. jus somthing to think about. good luck
Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 AM

As I mentioned in another post. All the major manufactures make some good quality bows. You know your price range, so go to a pro shop and shoot as many different bows as you can before the guy behind the counter gets mad, Then make your decision based on the one that feels best to you.
Many bows have a different feel when you draw. Hit the wall and also at the release with balance and vibration ( hand Shock ) Each person has a different preference for what that feels like to them. So the only way to really decide is to go shoot them.

Most of the major Manufactures also have a mid range line of bows.
Hoyt - Reflex
Bowtech - Diamond
I think Mathews has the Mission and so on.

Also as already mentioned you can get some of last years models on Ebay or other places at dealers cost or find someone selling one becuase they upgrade every year. But ulitmately it will come down to needing to go shoot them and decide what you think feels good and shoots well for you.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 PM

I just got the Browning Myst, fully outfitted for 549.00 plus tax..... I love it. It's 32" axle-to-axle, weights 4.4 lbs, IBO speed is 313-305 fps, draw lentghs from 27-30 and adjustable without a bowpress, draw weight is 50-60 lbs or 60-70 lbs, it also has HC hybrid cams and unibody limb pockets, vibracheck grip........

Give it a try... you can get the price down to 400 dollars if you use your rest, stablizer, sights, etc... from your other bow...

Lots of nice bows out there. Have fun shopping....
Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 AM

martin is real well priced as well
Old 12-31-2008, 07:33 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I like the Diamond Nitrous. Has anyone ever shot it?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

bear lights out... my friend just got one out the door for under 4... just shot it, very nice bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.