Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Need a nice safety harness!! >

Need a nice safety harness!!

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need a nice safety harness!!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Need a nice safety harness!!

It will be difficult to locate a Loggy Bayou harness since they have went out of business. I love mine!! Next best thing is the harness by Muddy treestands....a copy, maybe even better than the Loggy.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: youngfart

BGFisher
Well thank you for the complement? Actually I'm not your son and I'm no kid ,LMAO I'm 53 and have been bow huntig for a long time. Safety is my utmost repect I give to the sportseeing I have 2 freinds whom have been hurt in falls and one's a quad so I dotake my safety toa T. I've tried the safety harness you explained and I too felt to much restraint in them and very uncomfortable. In a similar type too the one I mentioned in the above saftey strap, I have fallen1 1/2feet twice and have had no problems with it. Just a rude awakening ,in turn I was wide awake for the rest of the day,I'm 5' 11'' and 190lbs and had no instances where I was totally imobilized and hadthe belt cinche up so that I wasn't able to breath. Bye the way I was able to reach over and grab my tree and right my self up and able to climb back into my stand. I even stood on a stand and had the bottombreak off and fell 3 feet that time,againI was able to get back on track and get down safely. I'm comfortable wearing the single strap and this design looks to be an improvement to what I did use. Just mythoughts on this design.Best of luck on finding the right one for you.

By yourscreen name you are just a young fart, and I mean no disrespect in this matter. Hopefully you can see a little humor init. Yeah, you are not my son, but you are young enough (compliment) nearly to be my son. Well, not quite. I'm 61.

Glad you survived your couple incidents without issue. For some it doesn't go as well and that is what we must stress---for the masses. Actually I am not so certain that there is any harness system that can be what I'd call perfect. Many won't use a harness for comfort reasons, as you found, or any have so many straps that they are a pain and users don't want to bother with them. Still, it's been proven many times that a single waist beltcan be almost as dangerous as falling from height. Can cut off breathing and/or turn you upside down which can make SAVING you almost impossible.

There's little doubt in my mind that the best solution is to prevent falls in the first place, but I have to admit that even I have fallen asleep at times and nearly fallen out. That's why I keep my tetherhigh enough that I can't fall out of my stand in the first place.

Not trying to say Ihave all the solutions nor was I pseronally attacking you. Just stating what I seemed to observe from the picture. That darn thing would probably make a very good linemans' belt to use for installing hang-on stands though.

Personally I use an SOP Deluxe harness, simply because my wife got it for me abut 7 years ago. One of the best at that time and still good today. Constant use has shown me a few tricks in how to keep the staps from getting tangled. As with so many things it's practice that makes things easier. I'm still not crazy about the harness itself, but I do like the Prusic knot and rope that attach to the tree. Easy to use and fullproof. Maybe use this with the Loggy Bayou harness or something.

I wish you well and safe hunting in your future. For me, I'm getting a little older and m starting to think in terms of a ground blinds. Pretty hard to get hurt falling out of a stool, huh?
Rocky
Old 12-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

It will be difficult to locate a Loggy Bayou harness since they have went out of business. I love mine!! Next best thing is the harness by Muddy treestands....a copy, maybe even better than the Loggy.
Greg,

I've known Loggy to have gone out of business or chapter 11 or whatever at least twice in the last 15 years. They just seem to move to a new building or whatever and start up again, leaving their creditors behind holding the bag. Don't worry. They'll be back.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Spike

Yo Mo!......I purchased a really nice waist strap atan outdoor show years ago. It is a simple design one strap goes around the tree and another around my waist. Astrap w/ two loops joins the two...connecting me to the tree. The materialis the same as a seatbelt...little thicker and much wider...slides around easily and allows me to turn easily.I have alwaysliked it, because it was short enough that I always felt "connected" to the tree.Although I never have fallen out of my stand, I did test it out a couple times at home while standing on a milkcrate and stepping off to get the feel of what it might be like.

This season I purchased the Loggy Bayou safety harness....nice...very comfortable, but I immediately noticed that I need to be more careful with its use.I didn't realize how often I was leaning away from the tree w/ my waist strap. When I first starting using the Loggy I would lean out and catch myself.....just took some getting used to I guess.Also, I shoot right handed...and it takes a little practice to place the lanyard around the tree in a location that allows me to turn to the right and make a shot.

I'm happy w/ it.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:24 PM

I have the one you bought and like it so far. Best I have had to date. My buddy bought one from Muddy Outdoors this year and loved it. I think I will be getting one too..just because he was so excited about it.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 AM

I got a Fastback Deluxe this year and I love it. It's easy to put on in the dark and comfortable with any amount of layers. I used it to hang stands as well and was impressed with the comfort when I was hanging from the linesman belt. I checked out many others before my purchase and have no regrets. I plan to pick up 2 more for friends to use next year as they still are just using belts.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

I bought my Loggy Bayou Transformer harness right before the hunting season....and I love it. It is so easy to put on and once its on, you don't even know it is.

I had no idea they were going out of buisness.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: youngfart

MOhunting

I've used a one strap belt for the last 14 years and am going try

Treehopper Climbing Belt #164 out this upcomming season. Looks to be very strong and also to me, it looks to be wayless bulky and there's nothing to make noise. I just need to wait till Jeff gets them back in stock. Go to his site and check it out@ www.graywolfwoolens.com. Best of luck.
Rocky

The Treehopper was also designed to be used as a safety belt that allows quick and easy adjustability along with high strength. And, the Treehopper can also be used as a deer drag. Anchored at your hips through the "D" rings the weight of the animal is where your strength is, not over your shoulders which can cause lower back strain.

Lightweight yet incredibly strong, the Treehopper is manufactured to exacting standards by craftsmen in the good ol' U.S.A. Here is what makes the Treehopper the strongest and most practical belt you can find:
Belt: The belt material is two-ply O.D. green nylon, military style webbing that is rated over 4,500 lbs. It is double reinforced at the "D"rings. The belt is machine sewn with heavy duty nylon thread.
Cord: The cord is manufactured with 1/2" hollow-braid polyproplylene, rated at 3,250 lbs.
Safety latch/hook: The hook is high quality steel, drop forged and rated at 5,000 lbs. It is equipped with a spring-loaded safety latch that insure the hook will not accidentally detach from the "D" ring.
"D" rings: The "D" rings are welded high quality stainless steel to maximize safety.
FREE Standard Shipping in the Continental U.S. ONLY

I have taken the Bowhunter education course and during which I had a chance to suspend from a belt as well as different harnesses. Tell you right now the belt SUCKS! you do not want to rely on that to save your life. They estimate in under a minute you will pass out using the belt if you cant get back in your stand, not only that but it hurt bad. The instructors joked and said if you use a belt you should fasten it to your neck so at least you die quick rather than suffocating to death as it cuts into your ribcage. Get a harness! If the time comes you will not regret it.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:38 PM

I bought the Muddy Safety Harness and I couldnt be happier. Very Easy and Comfortable to put on. And once its on you never know its there.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Spike

The Loggy Bayou Transformer gets my vote as well. I had the Hunter Safety System and found it to be just too bulky when I tightened it up. There was too much extra material in the vest.

My buddy recommended the Loggy Bayou and I love it. Quick to put on and take off and easily fits under your jacket. Plus, it's silent and has built in binocular straps.

Quick Reply: Need a nice safety harness!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.