Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 cold weather and expandables? >

cold weather and expandables?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

cold weather and expandables?

Old 12-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default cold weather and expandables?

i tried out G5 tekans this weekend and shot a big nasty 8 pointer and the broadhead dint expand. i dont know if it was the weather (it was 3 degrees) or if tekans jus suck. long story short i lost my two arrows with broadheads in the brush cuz he wasnt bleedin and walkin away so i ended up stalkin him and takin him down with my judo tip.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cold weather and expandables?

Yeah that sucks. Never had it happen to me as I shot the Rages. You are better off posting this in the bowhunting section. You would get more replies
Old 12-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

You shot him with a Judo tip!!!!!!!!!
Derek
Old 12-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Spike

I have used the tekans before and killed deer without deploying the blades. But i also found that after a rainy day in the woods, the tekans would rust just slightly in the steel ferrule and cause the blades to stick tight and not deploy. I haven't used them much since I found this out and switched to either rage mechanicals or the G5 Strikers. Love them both.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Surprised the judo tip penetrated unless you finished him with a head shot. Don't tell the warden you used a judo tip, they'll write you a ticket as it's illegal in most states.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

i remembered that on the Judo box it said that they have been known to kill antelope. and watchin a trophy walk away with no blood trailis like gettin kicked in the nuts. so i did it.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Yep throw them away and tell anyone that you know to throw them away. I've had it happend and a buddie just shot a doe not long ago and they didin't open. Got both deer but we were both lucky. JUNK!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drockw

You shot him with a Judo tip!!!!!!!!!
Derek
Was wondering the same exact thing!!! lol
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM

I don't see how they are any better than fixed blades to be perfectly honest with you. Broadheads for your bow are a lot like ammo for a bolt action rifle. They all prefer a certain type of diet. There are a few brands of fixed blades that actually shoot better than any expandable I ever tried!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

dozen arrows,

this was the first time shootin expandables and i never will again. my trusty muzzys shoot like field points and i think ill prolly shoot them till my dying day

Quick Reply: cold weather and expandables?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.