Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

loop or ultra-nok

Old 12-14-2008, 12:16 AM

Default RE: loop or ultra-nok

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

loop. use the BCY colored stuff, not that rigid camo material.
Could you perhaps provide a link to what you use? I'm currently using the Cir-Cut brand of string loop material. It's the best I've found for "buttoning" when I melt it; plus, I really like how stiff and creep-free it is. It makes attaching the release a snap, particularly in the stand on a cold morning, doesn't shift much, and seems to stay pretty stiff and stretch-free over lots of shots. It's "camouflaged", sort of. I like the Cir-Cut stuff a lot, but I'm always wondering if there's something better out there. I have to agree with a string loop over a metal loop...the metal loops are basically crap. I've tried them, and had two problems: first, my release wouldn't work with it. I shoot a Scott Mongoose (although, when I tried the metal loop, I was shooting a Scott Sabertooth), and second, they're noisy. Imagine clanking a metal loop to a metal release when a trophy 12 point is staring at you (No, it didn't happen, but I'm imagining).
Old 12-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last thing you want to add to your string is a metal loop, unless you are looking for more trouble than you can handle. Some might argue the point but it is absolutely one of the worst things you can do with a bow.
ive used them for over 10 years as well as my 2 brothers. not a single problem.they actually get smoother with age.it provides a way better solid feel when you lock up with the release. i tied a loop on for a couple weeks and then took it off. in archery its whatever works for an individual. ive seen a bunch of failed loops through the years but my ultra nock keeps working. its been on my current hunting bow since 2000 and it was on my bow before that.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

The last thing you want to add to your string is a metal loop, unless you are looking for more trouble than you can handle. Some might argue the point but it is absolutely one of the worst things you can do with a bow.
ive used them for over 10 years as well as my 2 brothers. not a single problem.they actually get smoother with age.it provides a way better solid feel when you lock up with the release. i tied a loop on for a couple weeks and then took it off. in archery its whatever works for an individual. ive seen a bunch of failed loops through the years but my ultra nock keeps working. its been on my current hunting bow since 2000 and it was on my bow before that.
As you just said. To each his own and I have no problems with that. To that end I use neither a string loop nor a metal loop. I have used a rope release (target style) for about 30 years now. Have used caliper style and/or wrist straps and always come back to my Cascade.

There are so many disadvantages vs advantages to using a metal loop that I won't waste my time typing. However, there are a few safety issues I saw when working in a shop. There were a couple bows brought in with metal loops where the string broke at the top of the metal loop. And I mean snapped. It's due to the sharp angle and constantkink at that point. Strings aren't meant to be subjected to such sharp bends all the time. This is made even worse with today's ultra short bows and longer draw lengths.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with most on this, stay away from the metal and go with a BCY loop.
Learn to tie your own. It really is simple. Greg has a great step by step instructional thread as a sticky in the technical section.

Dan
Old 12-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll just stick with my metal Ultra-nok until something like that happens. Seems to me as long as somebody inspects their equipment once in a while and makes needed changes/upgrades, the argument of breaking or causing string to break is null & void. To each his own.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I'll just stick with my metal Ultra-nok until something like that happens. Seems to me as long as somebody inspects their equipment once in a while and makes needed changes/upgrades, the argument of breaking or causing string to break is null & void. To each his own.
Do as you will. I know you are basing your decision on past expereience as most of us do. Just remember that forwarned is forearmed. It's not always easy to see when the string is going to break, though, because it's almost always under the serving right at the top of the Ultra-nock.

The idea is that it's kind of like climbing a treestand without a harness. You can do it for a lifetime and nothing bad may happen. It's only gotta happen once and things can get quite ugly.

Or how about those life insurance premiums we pay? We only have to die once to collect so why do we waste a lifetime paying for something that may not happen for a very long time?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are so many disadvantages vs advantages to using a metal loop
GOTTA- disagree. i shoot 31" so the angle is wicked with not a problem. ive seen more bad worn and failed string loop material and never seen one broken string from metal loops. the string never touches the metal because the metal loop uses a washer between. other than maybe loosing a little fps because of the weight of the metal loop i dont see any other concerns. i really wanna love a string loop but i dont see the big deal when it comes to hunting but then again i use a whisker bizcut . this forum is about hunting not target shooters isint it?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

I would stick to a loop. the ultra nok will wear out your release from the metal to metal contact, as well as slowing your speed down.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to disgree with you on this. I had no issues. You pretty much dont have to worry about the UN breaking or coming untied at full draw like you do with the loop.
ORIGINAL: Snood Slapper

Loop. You will have all kinds of trouble with the UN.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a metal loop, in a junk box on my bow table.

I just do not see any need to screw a metal loop to a string when there are solid, easily made string loops available for pennies. They're lighter, giving you speed and can be adjusted to any length you want to tweak your draw length. I've heard several horror stories about the metal ones breaking strings, or flying off and hitting the shooter in the arm, head, etc.

No way one of those thing will be on my bow.

Quick Reply: loop or ultra-nok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.