Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

hissing broadheads

Old 11-28-2008, 12:40 PM

Default hissing broadheads

hey guys looking for some help here. I just picked up some G5 Montecs to try out on my coming huntI've gotta rifle cow elk tag but wanted to try with my bow for the first few days since I'venever bow hunted before but with these BH's hissing i dont want to take them in the field. I would prefer fixed blade over replaceable but that can change. So i guess my question is... what works best for you? I've only gota week an a half til my hunt so I cant do a lot of trial an error at this point and i know i shouldve started sooner but the idea just popped in my head the other day so...
Old 11-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hissing broadheads

Look for some heavy cut on contact heads like 220 Muzzy Phantoms.The only hissing I have ever heard was when I had a bad fletching.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:17 AM
Fork Horn

If you don't want them I'll take em off your hands bub! Really they will make a hiss but stop and think a min. I have stood down range as they were shot by me and the sound you hear is behind the shot not in front of it. That arrows not sub sonic. I have used these since they came out and have never had a problem with a shot jump that could'nt be atributed to bow noise or pop not a arrow/broadhead/vanes noise. Take a old arrow with a bad vane that "flaps" and shoot it and listen.... noise right? now have someone shoot same arrow for you as you observe from the side at a distance... no noise till arrow passes right? well same for broadhead hissing...All in all you can't beat a cut on contact one piece head that is spin balanced like these are.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 AM

ORIGINAL: bowdaddy1964

If you don't want them I'll take em off your hands bub! Really they will make a hiss but stop and think a min. I have stood down range as they were shot by me and the sound you hear is behind the shot not in front of it. That arrows not sub sonic. I have used these since they came out and have never had a problem with a shot jump that could'nt be atributed to bow noise or pop not a arrow/broadhead/vanes noise. Take a old arrow with a bad vane that "flaps" and shoot it and listen.... noise right? now have someone shoot same arrow for you as you observe from the side at a distance... no noise till arrow passes right? well same for broadhead hissing...All in all you can't beat a cut on contact one piece head that is spin balanced like these are.
Umm...no. Speed of sound is around 1100 FPS. Arrows about 300FPS out of a fast bow.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Hissing broad heads arent a big deal. By time the animal hears that, it has already heard your bow shoot anyways and jumped from that. Once you let fly, hissing broad head or not, its generally to late for the animal to do much about it. Im not a big believer in noise after the shot making much difference. I shot one yesterday from 40 yards and I could hear the arrow all the way there rotating. A deer or other animal can only move so fast weather it hears the arrow or not, and I have yet to see one dodge a 250 to 300fps projectile because they hear it coming.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Don't worry about the hissing sound. Some call it the "Hiss of Death"

Depending on which revision of the head you have, some hiss worse than others.

The Gen 1 heads were the worst of the bunch. The blade vent holes and the trailing edge of the blades were squared off (not tapered) which caused a pretty good hiss when shot.

The Gen 2 heads added a taper to the blade vent holes but the trailing edge of the blade was still squared off. Better sound wise but not perfect

The Gen 3 heads (current model) have a taper on the blade vent holes and on the trailing edge of the blade. These are darn close to silent when you shoot them (at least comparable to other fixed blade heads).

I have shot the Montecs since they were introduced and have never had a shot where the sound of the arrow was the determining factor as to wether or not the shot would have been good (even on skiddish Texas whitetails). The sound your bow makes is more likely to cause the reflex reaction than the .3 seconds of ssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSTHWACK that you get from the arrow.

The Montecs are great heads. Don't discard them as they are more than up to the task of taking the elk you desire.