Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Pleeeaaase Help Me...

Old 11-17-2008, 10:25 PM

Default Pleeeaaase Help Me...

okay,so i bought a brand new hoyt powerhawk 2 1/2 weeks ago because i just couldnt justify spending the extra 300-350 on a mathews drenalin ld or a hoyt alphamax.now i am seriously regretting my purchase.i may have found a buyer already and i am going to start all over and begin looking for a new bow.below is a list of bows that have peaked my interest.some of these i have already shot and others i need to shoot yet.i just want to get some feedback on any of these bows....please give me all positive and negative feedback you have.I am relativley new to this sport.I will be spending alot of time at the ranges,3d shoots and hunting so i think i need a good all around bow.

my main problem with the hoyt was hand shock.after shooting a few rounds down the range my left arm would be killing me.

here is my list of possibles:

1) Mission Buckmaster
2) Mathews Drenalin LD
3) 2009 Mathews Reezen 6.5
4) Diamond Iceman
5) Bear Truth 2
6) Bowtech Captain,or 82nd Airborne

Im a big guy standing around 6'3" and weighing in at 350lbs.Depending on the bow i shoot between a 29.5 and 30.5 draw length and i only shoot around 60lbs right now.Price really isnt a big issue...just looking for a great bow for me.

I have also been told that the longer ata length the more forgiving the bow is.and ive heard that the faster the bow shoots there tends to become a little less hand shock....so is this true?

-JayDee
Old 11-18-2008, 12:01 AM

Default RE: Pleeeaaase Help Me...

No, A faster bow is going to have more energy going through it, which usually means more hand shock. I thought that you might be interested in Elite Archery and High Country Archery bows. They are fast like the 82nd, but offer a much more forgiving brace height of 7+"s.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 AM

Forget the Buckmaster. The Elite Z28 can beat it in every way.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:11 AM

The same for the 2009 Mathews Rezen 6.5. The Elite is simply better statistically. I haven't shot the new Mathew's yet, but I am not expecting anything special.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:52 AM

I take back what I said about the new Rezen 6.5.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 AM

... but my comment about the Buckmaster stands.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:13 AM

i know i said money wasnt an issue but 1300.00 for a bow is out of hand for me....i was thinking 900.00 for a bare bow maximum for me to spend.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:11 AM

look at the martine firecat or slayer (warthog) . lots and lots of speed but very forgiving and very good smooth bow and a great price point. but it all comes down to what you like the best shoot alot of bows before you make your choice. the new admiral is really nice as well its fast and very forgiving
Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: jdowney85

i know i said money wasnt an issue but 1300.00 for a bow is out of hand for me....i was thinking 900.00 for a bare bow maximum for me to spend.
Which bow costs $1300?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally think you would be amazed by the captain. I honestly cant think of a negative quality in that bow (for me at least). I shot it numerous times and absolutely LOVE it. The draw isnt to harsh. It doesnt creep at all. Good valley. Fast enough. Good brace height. ATA isnt too long but not too short. Its pretty light. No handshock. Super quiet. Fully adjustable draw length mod system.

Like i said, i cant find anything that i dont like about this bow. I can honestly say that i like the feel of the captain way more than my 101st, but i shoot alot of target, and i can shoot the 101st very well. I will be buying a captain this spring as well.

I have personally never shot an elite, but everyone who has basically loves them. they say its like shooting a smoother, 82nd with a little less speed. I thkink it sounds like a wonderful bow and im sure that if you were to buy it even without shooting it, it would be a great bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.