Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

09 Mathews Bows

Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 09 Mathews Bows

If you want to use one pin out to 40 yards, you would be better off sighting the pin in for 30-33 yards, not 20.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: zophy

I not a bow guru, therefore,would the Monster shooting at around 360FPS and sighted in at 20yds, would it be accurate up to 40 yds with your 20yd pin?
With the Reezen 6.5 me and my buddy zero'ed it at 15 yards and it was dead on at 30. I would say if a guy set his site at 25 yards he should not have to adjust his hold more than a few inches shooting out to 40, I would say that for any of the new Mathews Lineup
Old 11-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I noticed on most of the Mathews '09 lineup was the option for 65# bows. That, along with shooting the 6.5 last Monday nearly has me sold.

Compared to my XT which has a 7.5" brace height, the Reezen only ramped up quicker...with even less room to flinch. I'm not much of a flincher...so the Reezen6.5 @ 65/28 should shoot right around 300fps...roughly 30fps faster than my 60/28 XT.

Now if only the local shop can get a 65/28 Reezen 6.5 in before Valentine's Day.....
Old 11-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

We got the bow into our shop the same day all the other dealers did. The boss was out of town, and I was fixing to go duck hunting, so it took me a few days to get around to seriously shooting the thing a time or two.

Here is my unbiased, don't give a crap what I shoot, buy whatever you want take on the Reezen 6.5:

The bow was set up at 58#, 29" draw with a 6" Doinker Chubby Hunter 6oz, some HME slider sight just for balance purposes, a whisker buiscuit and a string loop and tied in nock sets. I was shooting 250 Maxima Hunters with 100gr tips, 29" long.

The draw is a little bit stiffer than the DXT. Typically single cams do not load up weight at the back... but the Reezen 6.5 does/did. It reminded me more of a binary bowtech with smooth mods.. if that makes any sense. There was a noticable spike in draw weight toward the back... not unreasonable or unmanageable... just noticeable.

I will say that I was disappointed in the shot. Now keep in mind, that I have high standards for mathews. They have been THE standard is smoothness and in SILENCE when it comes bows for the last decade. If you hold that high standard, then in my opinion the 6.5 is a step backwards. The bow has a lot of vibration for a mathews. In fact I think it has more vibration than any mathews in the last 6 years. Despite the vibration, there is hardly any jump at all.. in fact I didn't notice any, of course I might have been distracted by the vibration, for a mathews its A LOT. There is a distinctive string vibration on the shot, to the point where I'd put string leeches or whiskers on the string... and I haven't had to do that on a Mathews in a long time. The bow balanced out well, but the stabilizer did not kill the vibration.

The bow seemed pretty dang quick to me. I didn't bother with shooting it through the chronograph, but I'll get around to it sooner or later. I am anxious to shoot the reezen 7 and the hyperlite or ultralite whatever its called. Personally, I still think the Drenalin and the Switchback XT are the best bows they've ever built... hope the 7.0 changes that in my eyes.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

I posted this under the big thread inthe bowhunting forum...thought it fit better here..

I shot one today with a fletcher peep in it, d-loop and a prong rest, basically a shop bow. It was a 29", 6.5 Reezin set at 60.5lbs.,it was a 50-60 lb bow. I shot my 400 grain Axis hunting arrow though the graph at 282-284 about 12 times in a row. I shot it 12 times to ensure I was getting into the wall consistently.

I then fired my hunting bow, an '07 Vectrix which I have never chrono'dsince I bought it in July 07 [8D]. It's set at 64lbs, 28" draw cams, d-loop, superpeep, truball speedballs on the string. It shot the same arrow at 270-272 10 shots in a row.

Not a good enough reezin for me to buy the Reezin. Considering that I'll get a 28" bow, and lose 8-10 fps right there. And my Vectrix set at 64lbs, drew and fired a lot smoother than the Reezin did at 60......to me anyway. I don't really see me gaining any fps worth sacrificing the smooth draw and release I like to have for myself in a hunting bow. I liked the Reezin, but just not enough to dump the cash into it. I understand to get speed you gotta cam the bow, but I"m not a speed freak, so that's not a selling point to me.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last friday I shot a 60/28 with loop, whisker biscuit, peep, with a 350gr arrow, and an STS on it. The major shock compared to a bare bow was gone.

I'll probably end up buying a 65/28 6.5 this year. That should shoot my hunting arrow roughly 30fps faster than my 60/28 SBXT.