Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 G5 Striker Magnum Anyone??? >

G5 Striker Magnum Anyone???

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

G5 Striker Magnum Anyone???

Old 11-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default G5 Striker Magnum Anyone???

Anyone use them? How do they fly compared to the other G5's. I for some reason never even knew they had a 1.5" head which excites me very much. If could get them to fly well I would love to add a set of these to my arsenal! My bow right now is shooting 290fps with my hunting setup with 100gr rages. I imagine the extra 25gr would nock it down to the 280 range which should still be relatively tunable.
thanks all,
Derek
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM

Default RE: G5 Striker Magnum Anyone???

They are not as consistent with the field points as the regular strikers, but at those speeds, you are going to be just fine if you wanted to switch. The 101st is a great bow.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I played around with them quit a bit this year and just couldnt get them to be consisitant. I can get regular strikers or montecs to hit right with my field tips out to 70 yards but the magnums are pretty touchy past 35 or so. If you have perfect form everytime and your shots are relatively close you will be fine.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: passthru79

I played around with them quit a bit this year and just couldnt get them to be consisitant. I can get regular strikers or montecs to hit right with my field tips out to 70 yards but the magnums are pretty touchy past 35 or so. If you have perfect form everytime and your shots are relatively close you will be fine.
I guess this is why i shoot the rage 3 blades! I would love to switch to a large fixed blade that i can get a hole like a rage, and fly even almost as good, but its nearly impossible. now, the flying out at 70 yds is amazing. I know the slicktricks and the regular strikers it can be done with and with the right setup they will fly just like a field tip.

oh well, i was just hoping to find the cure all bh. i might get some strikers for next year to keep in the quiver just in case but i just cant get away from the massive hole and blood trail. the rages have their faults no doubt but until it happens to me, i guess ill stick with what works. thanks as always fellas!
Derek
Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember when you start getting into the large cutting diameter fixed blades the steeper shot angles can become a problem. Thats whats nice about the rage or even the new tekan, you get just about the same cutting diameter but dont have to worry about deflection.