Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Need help on some advice for a friend.. >

Need help on some advice for a friend..

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need help on some advice for a friend..

Old 10-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Need help on some advice for a friend..

Hey guys!

I have a friend who wants to get into bowhunting, and he has found a shop that has two bows he's interested in. The first is a bowtech allegiance. I'm not sure on what each bow has on it, but the second is the 82nd airborne. The airborne is about $100 more although it is used. The 82nd also only has 60# limbs whereas the Allegiance has 70# limbs. I just checked with him and he says both bows are set up with a rest and sights, quiver etc. Normally, I'd say the 82nd, but with it being used he might not have a warranty, and it only has the 60# limbs. He'd probably be fine pulling 60, but he's drawn my Tribute at 70 with no problems, so I think he'd like to buy a bow that gives him the option of a 70# draw.

Opinions?

TIA!
GH
Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM

Default RE: Need help on some advice for a friend..

Has he shot both? That may make the decision for him. You know how I feel about the 82nd, so I can't see spending $100 more for a used one.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

No he hasn't shot either....to top it off, Cahd can get him into a brand new '06 model tribute for about 100 cheaper than the allegiance......the catch is he'd have to set it up.

What do you think?

GH
Old 10-30-2008, 01:12 PM

Who we talkin about? You should know more about the Tribute than I do, but I think it still comes down to letting him shoot them all. If they all feel about the same to him, then go with the cheaper one. All 3 are pretty similar as far as speed, so I'd go with the other factors.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

That's the problem...if he shot them, I don't think anything would stand out to him to help him make a decision. It's a guy I work with.....

Go kill a deer or something...maybe one of those rabid groundhogs you all have out there.

Sneaky bastages!

GH
Old 10-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Then it's down to which one looks good in his eyes.

All 3 bows are great.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:33 PM

I'd probably go cheapest route then, if he's not even sure he's going to like it, or be able to realize what he's lookin for from a bow yet. He can't go wrong with any of those bows though.

I'm trying my best to kill SOMETHING before I come in next week! But I'm not too worried, cause I know your going to set me up on the deer interstate you got running through you property! I haven't even seen a groundhog since you left. I think the groundhogs were bringin in the deer for you, so I might leave them alone.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:56 PM

Oh, I just thought of 1 other thing he might want to consider. Is he going to be hunting out of a tree most of the time? If so, he might want to go with the shorter ATA, for limb clearance!!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:51 PM

I personally don't see the 82nd as a good starter bow for someone that is just getting into archery. Maybe if he had been shooting for a while. Out of the ones you mentioned, I would go with the Allegiance.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the opinions guys......I talked some more with him last night and I basically advised him to just go and look at all of them. Test drive as many as he can and take the one he likes best. I told him that the prices he's looking at for used ones weren't that much off a new bow. For instance the 82nd he originally looked into is a used bow set up with a drop zone fallaway rest, an octane quiver and some type of single pin sight...he wasn't sure of the make and model on it. They're asking 800.00 plus tax. To my way of thinking, I'd look at a brand new one with the original warranty, and set it up a little cheaper on the accessories.....he's going over this morning and He says he's coming home with a bow. I think he's gonna drop by with it sometime today, so I'll post an update and let you all know what he went with. Either way, it looks like I've made a new disciple!

GH

Quick Reply: Need help on some advice for a friend..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.