Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

1 pin sights pros/cons

Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1 pin sights pros/cons

I've seen more people miss due to "pin confusion" and misjudged range than all other reasons combined. I use a 3 pin sight and actually have tried the adjustable pin sight. Since when I tried the 1 pin adjustable,it was so close to season,I didn't give it a good chance. I do know I wouldn't trust the generic premarked ranges and would have to calibrate the ranges only after extensive shooting. That's the main reason I didn't give it a good chance at the time. The next adjustable pin site I'm going to try features a lever where you can adjust it easily with bowhand-maybe it's the model yall speak of? I'm not totally awake so can't remember the names very good.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:42 AM

As far as the pre-printed yardage tapes.......A set comes with the HHA sight. If you do it exactly the way they describe, it works perfectly. You have a tape that you will install that just has hash marks and numbers on it. They mean nothing, they are just numbers. Sight your bow DEAD ON at 20 yards, and record the number the marker is on. Then, sight in DEAD ON at 60 yards, and record that number. Lock your pin down. Subtract the 2 numbers, and that is the number tape you use. If you've done that correctly, line your 60 yard mark on the tape with the marker on the sight, and tape it down. You will be dead on at 20-60 yards.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I agree. I shoot the newest HHA and it's deadly accurate from 0 to 60 with my Switchback. I set for 25 and adjust if the deer is past 30. The sight is perfect with a rangefinder. I think pins are fine, but prefer the HHA, especially for long shots that are ranged.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

you might also think about a pendulum....i just got a Vital Gear pendulum and it is accurate out to about 37 yards with 1 pin and no adjusting. I only shoot at 61lbs so if i was shooting faster then it may go beyond 40 yards
Old 11-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Spike

I used to have a four pin sight I couldn't get used to it so I switched to a single pin sight the hha sight its a great sight my groups tightened right up I love the field of view no clutter 20 to 25 yrds there is no diffence in arrow flight with my bow at 30yrds my arrows drop about 2 2 1/2 inches what I do when I am hunting is leave it set for 30yrds with the thumb wheel just loose enough to move the sight so I can move it quick and snug it with about 1/4 of a turn just to make sure the sight does not move for some odd reason I only move my sight for a 40yrd shot other wise if closer than 30yrds I just hold about an inch low of where I want to hit the deer I am shooting at most of the time that works very well
Old 11-02-2008, 11:17 PM

My HHA is great for 3D and hunting. In 3d the is plenty of time to adjust, and I am good out to 35 yards with out adjusting because I am shooting close to 360 fps. I have no problems in the woods. I simply pick areas that are ideal (a shot inside of 40 yards). Never had to adjust kn the fly, and even if I did, I am sure that it would not be a problem. Also, it is certainly not limited to 60 yard, I can shoot mine out to 120 yards and have groups with a diameter of about 18", which is pretty cool.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

It's one thing shooting with multiple pins on the range but put a moving animal there and the ball game becomes very different. Many guys will shoot better with one pin in a hunting situation unless you're a real cool customer. I've been thinking about going back to one pin too. Anyone ever use the Kingsway Triad? It's a one pin sight you can adjust at full draw.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have a viper H1000 and I went from 4 pins down the 2. Like other guys say its makes it easier in a hunting situation. I dont usually shoot over 30 yards anyway in the timber. good luck IA
Old 11-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about putting up a link for that kingswaytriad?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Ya, I want to see that sight too.

Quick Reply: 1 pin sights pros/cons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.