Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt? >

Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt?

Old 10-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Default Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt?

I have been bowhunting with the same PSE bow now for about 6 seasons. I am thinking about getting a new bow and I am considering the new Hoyt Katera, Mathews DXT and Drenalin. I was wondering if yall could give me any insight into any of these bows (or possible other bows). Thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 02:36 PM

Default RE: Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt?

These are all good bows and you will have to see which one feels the best in your hands. In my hands, the Katera is pretty sweet. But I could shoot either Mathews and probably be perfectly happy. One advantage of the Mathews bows is that the solo cam is a littlesimpler to tune, and tends to still shoot fairly well even when it gets a little out of tune. So if you aren't much into this stuff and/or your local pro shop isn't Crackers, then the Mathews may be a better choice. But I still shoot a little better with a perfectly tuned Hoyt.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:13 PM

Well, I shot the Katera and did the wow thing! I thought I would put that out there, wow.... Very smooth draw and basically little if any handshock. It was darn quiet too. The bonus to this is the price was 700 which everywhere else was asking around 750. Now, I was about to buy the bow and the shops power went down. I don't know if this was God speaking to me, but I never would had the chance to shoot my Ross. I know, it's not a Mathews, but when you pull back that single cam and let an arrow fly, I couldn't stop myself. Another and another..... I guess I am saying that despite the price been so good for the Katera(with goodies) brand new warraty etc etc.... I still bought the singlecam. I love the singlecam.... No Hoyt hate here, I just loved the smoooooooooth silky draw. And so did my shoulder.... But it is your opinion that ultimately matters.... You have to like the bow.... You know!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:40 PM

...also has anyone heard anything about the '09 mathews and hoyt bows?? Thanks again
Old 10-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Both are good bows. If you shoot all of them one should stand out to you. Even though it may sound little, the biggest thing I dislike about the Mathews is the grip. Everything else seems o.k. but It feels too upright or something in my hand. Hoyts just feel better in my hand. Simple things like this can make a decision for you.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

shoot all of em, i would also check out the bowtech center-pivot bows
Old 10-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fancypoint

I have been bowhunting with the same PSE bow now for about 6 seasons. I am thinking about getting a new bow and I am considering the new Hoyt Katera, Mathews DXT and Drenalin. I was wondering if yall could give me any insight into any of these bows (or possible other bows). Thanks
My last several bows were Hoyt rigs (CyberTec, XTec, VTec, Trykon) but the first time I shot the Mathews DXT.... I knew I had to own one1 I absolutely love this rig. I honestly couldn't ask for a better bowhunting set-up. It's light, fast, silky smoothand extremely accurate. You honestly can't believe you're shooting such a short bow. Everything I've ever wanted in a rig and I can't say enough about it. You've got to shoot one for yourself.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont have a Mathews, but I do have to admit, there is not ONE bow company that can match the looks of a Mathews. Theyre so nice looking, and IL-Cornfed, that DXT is a prime example. Im getting me one of those this spring.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 AM

If you're hunting, you need to try the Bowtechs, Hoyt is more of a target bow company, and as hard as it is for me to say this, Mathews makes a nice hunting rig. Still, as far as I am concerned, Bowtech cannot be beat. Depending upon what is important to you, they have a bow that will be perfect. For example, I wanted to have the fastest, most bad ass bow, and still be able to shoot a 300 in the range, so I bought an 82nd Airborne. There is enough kinetic energy in that bow to get a full pass through on an elephant and the one standing behind it (never been tested). Try 'em all and you'll know which one is right for you. I just wanted to make sure that you hadn't ruled out Bowtech.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's all personal preference as all the modern top quality bows do an excellent job. Of course blackstick was joking about bowtech (or any handheld bow for that matter) going plumb thru 2 elephants. I'm personally a diehard mathews man but I'm still going to keep shooting my "old" switchback xt. Just remember-all advertizing and brand hype/personal preference aside-it's the shooter's skill that matters a LOT more than exact bow brand/model/type. The ONLY way to know which is best for YOU is go to a pro shop and compare/shoot them all side by side. One word of caution however,I would stay away from the ultra speed bows as they are less forgiving and more finicky to shoot with anything less than perfect form/tuning. What a lot of people misunderstand is speed bows WILL shoot just as accurate as other bows IF you practice perfect form/tuning or try them from shooting machine. It's just harder to shoot them as accurate is all,therefore they're just not my "cup of tea". Sure,I would love to have a new drenlin dxt,and could afford it,but would it improve my shooting ability over my current level with my switchback xt-nope,not at all-same as any of the other brands/models.

Quick Reply: Looking for a new bow... Mathews? Hoyt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.