Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 PSE Cam Problem, or Incompetence? >

PSE Cam Problem, or Incompetence?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

PSE Cam Problem, or Incompetence?

Old 10-22-2008, 10:54 PM

Default PSE Cam Problem, or Incompetence?

About 3 weeks ago, I purchased a PSE X-Force TS. I adored this bow. It was insanely fast, comfortable (I really don't like the B.E.S.T., so the contoured wood grip is really what sold me on the TS, all things being equal), quiet, shock free...in short, this was what I dreamed a top-end compound bow should be (and it's the '08) Then, a little gremlin invaded my archery Eden....

After about 2 weeks, the string started to fray. Not fuzz, which is normal, but actually fray. One of the strands broke. I contacted my dealer, who contacted PSE, who agreed to send me a new string. They still haven't. I contacted PSE again, and using their specs, ordered a set of custom strings from America's Best Bowstrings. (Great service by them, at least...not to give away where this tale of woe is heading).

I get the strings in, and they match the specs given by PSE. I ordered a whole set (string, buss cable, and control cable), took them to the dealer I bought the bow from (an authorized PSE dealer, btw). What started off to be a 30 minute deal turned into a 3 day ORdeal.

I get the bow back, and realize the cam timing is off. PSE thoughtfully put marks on the cam just for this purpose. I tell the "tech" and he says give him just a minute...he'll fix it. I also notice I'm getting fletching contact on my QAD Ultra HD rest, because this fellow didn't have the wit to line up the thoughtfully provided marks on the rest. Anyway, I get the bow back, and sure enough, the cam marks line up. Problem is, the top cam is leaning so bad the string's almost coming off.

Tech says "let me check the strings...maybe they sent you the wrong set." Not likely. More likely he's a mongoloid, but I agree. He comes back and says the strings are in spec. Then he says, maybe it's the cable slide (I replaced the PSE one with a Sims Teflon). I say that's not it, since I didn't have any cam lean before, with the same slide.

My questions are these:
1. Is this guy an idiot, and should I take my bow elsewhere?
2. Is there possibly something wrong with my bow? It was fine before I brought it in, other than a frayed bowstring.
3. Should I pay? The string replacement was supposed to be under warranty. That should hold despite the fact I purchased a custom set of strings.
4. At what point is it ok to jump across the counter and beat the 'tech' with a wrench? I paid close to $1k for this bow, but have gotten consistently excremental service.
5. Most importantly, at what point do you give up and request your money back for a bow? PSE offers a lifetime warranty, but their service is subpar, at best. If anyone ever asked me about purchasing a bow, I couldn't recommend PSE. I love their bows, but their customer service sucks a*s. I kinda want to hunt with this thing, but it's spent more time in the shop than on the practice range in the 3 weeks I've owned it.
6. Does the problem with the bow sound fixable, given someone who knows what the hell they're doing?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PSE Cam Problem, or Incompetence?

#1. Possibly
#2. Yes, What press does he use?
#3. Yes, it was your decision to order the custom strings and there is no warranty on strings. PSE is / was beng nice.
#4. IDK
#5. Not likely going to happen. I suspect the shop and not PSE as far as the actual problems with the bow.
#6. Yes. The top cam lean is easily fixed by twisting one side of the split yolk of the cable. When you pull the cables to the side for arrow clearance you effectively pull on one limb harder than the other and you must shorten the side closest to the cable rod so that thee cablepulls evenly on both sides of the cam.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Thanks. I have to disagree with you on one point, though. PSE is/was being nice...actually any string should last longer than 1.5 weeks, which is how long I had it when it started to fray. Even PSE agreed this should be warranted.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know, I am just saying that they didn't have to replace the string. There are sooooooo many things that can cause a string to fray and break that is out of the manufacturers control.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

NOW you see why I've called pse Pieces Scattered Everywhere for years. Before yall kill me-remember it's just MY opinion and I feel I have valid reason for this. I had terrible experience with their customer service years ago over several items (years ago they were lousy in customer service department) ,I finally just threw everything I had that said pse on it in trash (bow,sights,and all),and am still bashing them-no matter how good they may now be.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

I fully agree with bigbulls' summation.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 PM

Yeah PSE strings are awful possibly the worst... mine lasted me 3 weeks before it started to get detroyed so i got custom viscosity bow string and it startedto ripagain on theinside cable...so i switched to a eastman'soutfitter teflon slide and it nearlycleanedthe stringright up nice.......
Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 PM

Well, it's now fixed. Turns out it was just shop incompetence. Luckily, I had an option. Had to drive 2 hours one way to exercise that option, but it was worth it. After fixing most of the problems myself, I took it to a real pro to get it the rest of the way. He helped me tune it, re-time the cams, and help me choose the proper arrow. After buying 6-7 dozen arrows of different sizes, weights, spines, etc., all in an effort to find what worked best (without really understanding the selection process), I finally settled on the arrow I'm going to shoot. And on the upside, it turned out to be the lightest, fastest, arrow I'd tried. My PSE now shoots like a dream, and while at the store, I tried about 11 different bows while he was working on mine, and I'm convinced the PSE is the best bow on the market currently, at least for me. It just feels right for me. Dude didn't even charge me! Thank God for Richard Albritton at Simmons' Sporting Goods! He's as good as I know...I just wish I lived closer.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Spike

BEAR!!!!!!
Come on my friend we all know pse has been reinvented since pete sheply came back as the man in charge. I dumped a mathew screwup drenalin (they over machined the cam axle), and shot every bow out!!! I bought the pse x force dream season it freaking rocks!!!!! Ive owned mathews bows for a while , but man they are one cam short of a bow Just kidding !!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

HOWDY camoman! Nice to have you onboard here bro!

Quick Reply: PSE Cam Problem, or Incompetence?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.